Is She A Yellowface Dilute Skyblue, Or Cinnamon?

• Member ID:  7,186
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  410
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/12/1992

I would like to make sure before I buy her.

I notice she has pink feet...could she be cinnamon instead? But her tail looks greyish. This is the only picture I have of her now.

228429_4090183185447_1965070710_n.jpg

I came across an article regarding a budgie who appears dilute with pink feet...and it says it's a Cinnamon?

To buy the female, I must buy the Opaline male as well, otherwise the owner wouldn't sell her.

This is a chick that they have given the owner.

Is this a Greywing? If not, what is the father (above) split for?

408191_4090181025393_1345899533_n.jpg

224732_4090182185422_329134574_n.jpg

Edited by Finnie
Removed link to competing forum

:bump:

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Hi Rashu, sorry I had to remove your link. Our forum rules state that we don't link or advertise to competing forums.

However, I have read that thread in the past, and I too, have purchased a dilute hen who I think could be a cinnamon greywing, due to what I see as a slightly brownish hue to her markings, and her extreme paleness. I plan to test breed her, which is really the only way to find out.

Perhaps that is why you haven't gotten a response to your question yet. Cuz we really couldn't say. But I think she's lovely, and if you could get a hold of a cinnamon male who isn't split to greywing to test mate her with, she would be worth buying. That is, if you don't mind having the spare male, because I don't think he will help you figure her out. (I don't think their chick looks dilute, but you'd have to wait until after it molts to get a better idea.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rashu, sorry I had to remove your link. Our forum rules state that we don't link or advertise to competing forums.

However, I have read that thread in the past, and I too, have purchased a dilute hen who I think could be a cinnamon greywing, due to what I see as a slightly brownish hue to her markings, and her extreme paleness. I plan to test breed her, which is really the only way to find out.

Perhaps that is why you haven't gotten a response to your question yet. Cuz we really couldn't say. But I think she's lovely, and if you could get a hold of a cinnamon male who isn't split to greywing to test mate her with, she would be worth buying. That is, if you don't mind having the spare male, because I don't think he will help you figure her out. (I don't think their chick looks dilute, but you'd have to wait until after it molts to get a better idea.)

A clearer picture.

Her markings do appear brownish to me in the photo. however I haven't seen her personally yet.

But her colour appears too light to be a Cinnamon Skyblue to me...so could she be Greywing as well?

And I noticed that her primary flights appear almost clear? Is that common in Cinnamons or Cinnamon Greywings?

309163_10151225519649680_1591393057_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Wow, Rashu. You're just not getting much response to this. Sorry about that.

I think that because both the cinnamon wing gene and the greywing gene reduce the amount of melanin, then the markings on the flight feathers would get lightened up a whole lot, and yes, they might look almost clear.

I once read that if you combine cinnamon and greywing and also add in opaline, then it makes a bird with no wing markings at all. I have been trying to breed such a bird for a couple of years now, and I have produced two. I am a little disappointed to report that they both do still have faint grey wing markings.

In fact, the only reason I am sure that they are a combination of cinnamon and greywing is because they were born with plum eyes. Have you asked the breeder of this bird if he knows what color eyes she was born with? (Don't be surprised if it wasn't something he checked on when she hatched.)

She could be a dilute with no cinnamon at all, and I don't think there is any way to know the difference from photos, if that is what your are trying to base your purchase decision on.