Sign in to follow this  
sweetpea

Screeching

Hi guys,

I am having a small problem with Chip at the moment. He is very much bonded to me now, and is free flighted. The problem is that he has started screeching everytime I leave the room. I usually spend a least a couple of hours with him everyday, but still have to work/study. I am worried about the neighbours hearing him and being annoyed, as I am in an apartment. Is there anything I can do to keep him relatively quiet/ entertained during the time when I'm not there?

I'm not in a position to get another budgie, due to the fact that I live in an apartment and I think the noise would drive me crazy.

Hi The obvious choice would be a mirror & bell. I know there frowned on by many people

with the excuse they cause many problems. Which in reality are caused by the birds owner.

Such excuses as he wont bond with you. When no bird would want to bond with anyone

who wasn't more interesting to play with than a lump of wood.....B.J.

One thing I would consider is whether you are inadvertantly encouraging the screaming (without realizing it) by doing something to try to get him to be quiet. Try to look at it from his point of view, and see if he has learned that screeching is a way for him to get what he wants. Like if you go back to tell him to be quiet, or if you yell "Quiet!" from a different room, he may have learned how to force you to give him attention. Even if it's just a coincidence, and he happens to screech just before you walk in the room, he would connect it and think his screeching brought you back. It's similar to babies and puppies, where you have to purposely wait until they are behaving well, and not whining, before you go in and pick them up.

Maybe if you work on rewarding him for calm quiet behavior, you can get more of that, and less of the screaming. You could work on teaching him that soft chattering noises bring you to him.

Hi After some thought on the subject. I can't think of an easy way to control a behaviour without your

presence. Be it, a wanted or unwanted action/reaction. Without the aid of a concealed accomplice, to

administer or operate a mild distraction or punitive action... Personally I would stick with the mirror

& leave the radio on........B.J.

Not sure, but try these.

Sometimes a special toy will distract them on and off for hours. Try to observe which toys or items Chip really likes, and play with him and those items so he learns to play alone with them as well. Start trying to buy or make those types of toys to keep him occupied. Different birds sometimes dig different things. If not a mirror, some toys have reflective stainless steel surfaces that work in the same way as a mirror, but aren't so reflective so as to make them obsessed. My bird loves this fruit spear, with a reflective stainless apple at the top for him to peek at and a washer thing at the bottom which he has skilfully learnt to spin around like a top. I think he gets satisfaction from controlling and mastering it, like we would when we learn to skim stones or play a dextrous game of skill.

Another thing to maybe try is just reassuring him that you are not in the room, but are still around. My bird calls for me to see where I am, sort of a loud "biddle de deep! Biddle de deep!". When I'm downstairs away from him for a while and he calls out like that, I answer him back with my own Biddle de deep. It seems to just give him reassurance that I'm still in the vicinity and everything is okay, without having to physically be with him.

Hi guys thanks so much for the excellent feedback, I think I was definitely guilty of encouraging him by going to him and telling him to be quiet every time he got very noisy. :/ I will stop that now haha. I also rearranged his cage and added some new shredding toys which has already helped alot.