• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  17/04/1991

Hey,

I brought a baby budgie yesterday of a friend and we have never seen a budgie that looks like this one and on my budgie group on fb a man has said shes a Rainbow budgie i just want to get other opinions please :)

newestbabybudgies005.jpg

newestbabybudgies003.jpg

if these photos arent good enough to tell please let me know and i will take more

• Member ID:  4,257
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  981
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,495
  • Birthday:  28/07/1993

She is very very young. Are you aware of that, not trying to be hostile in anyway. From what I know of the Rainbow budgie it is made up of a few different variations of mutations such as Yellow faced type 2, Opaline, spangle, pied and many others I think and to me she looks to be a Rainbow budgie. But I couldn't tell you her exact mutation since she is so young.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I think Rainbow consists of yf2, opaline, dominant pied and clearwing on a sky blue budgie. I'm not positive about the clearwing part, because it seems to me that if you google Rainbow Budgie, you come up with some that have black wings. BUT, you also come up with a lot of people's interpretation of what makes a Rainbow, and they all seem to disagree with each other. But I do think there is an actual set combination that is the "real" Rainbow budgie. I think maybe I'll Google it now. Maybe I'll come up with a link for you ;)

Oh, and yeah, that chick doesn't have its feathers all the way in yet. Did you get it to hand feed?

...okay, a lot of links came up. But the gist of it is that Rainbow consists of yellowface + opaline + clearwing. Not blackwing after all, and not dominant pied or spangle, either. So to tell if your chick is a clearwing, you will have to see whether it develops bright body color and pale wings. It would also have bright cheek patches. Since we can already see that it is dominant pied, then it's not strictly a rainbow. But it might stll be a rainbow plus dominant pied.

• Member ID:  7,206
  • Topic Count:  6

thankyou, the man in my group wrote it all out for me with how to breed one and it would take ages to start from scratch

this is what he said and yes i know she is young im hand feeding her and her brother :)

the Rainbow is made up of 3 different Mutations they are the Yellow Type 2 ,Opaline ,Clear wing

the following birds will be required

a Clear wing cock and hen

an Opaline cock and 2 Opaline hens

yellow face type 2 cock.

the pairs need to set up the following way

Clear wing cock x Opaline Hen

Opaline cock x Clear wing hen

Yellow face type 2 cock x opaline hen

from these you will be able to breed a over a couple of breeding seasons you can get a Clear wing Opaline Cock and a DF YF clear wing Opaline hen it is from these two birds that the rainbow will be produced

Clear wing Opaline Cock x DF yf Clearwing Opaline Hen gives 100% rainbows

there are cominbinations but they are harder to produce the birds required and the number of rainbows is halfed

• Member ID:  4,610
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  714
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  3,640
  • Birthday:  09/12/1940

Your bird is a yellow face opaline greywing dominant pied. It is not a rainbow but it is very beautiful just the same.

Here is the official description of a Rainbow copied from the World Budgerigar Organisation Website (Whitewing is another name for clearwing)

RAINBOW (composite Opaline Whitewing Yellowface/Goldenface Blue series)

The standard will be as for the Opaline Whitewing Skyblue, Cobalt, Mauve, Violet or Grey except for the following details:

The expression of yellow coloration will vary dependent upon which of the yellowface mutations is visibly present in each case, ie Yellowface Mutant 1 will be lemon yellow, Yellowface Mutant 2 double factor will be buttercup yellow and Goldenface double factor will be deeper yellow. The otherwise white areas of the mask, frontal, crown and the very faintly discernible undulations at the back of the head will be in the shade of yellow coloration appropriate to the Yellowface mutant form. Markings: on cheeks, back of head and neck will have a light flush of the appropriate shade of yellow visible on the otherwise white areas at the edge of the markings. Wings: may have a very light flush of the appropriate shade of yellow visible on the otherwise white areas at the edge of minimal body colour markings. Primary wing flights: grey/white. Primary tail feathers: neutral with ground or body colour suffusion. Secondary tail feathers: blueish/grey at the tip, an overlay of the appropriate shade of yellow on the otherwise white areas is permissible.

NOTE

The notes for the above Yellowface and Goldenface mutations regarding the single factor and double factor should also be applied to the written standard for the Rainbow variety.

The Rainbow is not a proper example of the variety unless it is visibly an Opaline, a Whitewing, a Yellowface or Goldenface.

Edited by Neville

thankyou :) just a quick question how come you say its a a dominant pied everything ive read says they have a band the whole way around there belly this one just has a dot of yellow on one side, just asking so i can understand pieds more :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

It is a dominant pied by the markings on the back of its wings. Re pieds and the band around the belly area, very few have these markings as so many pieds have been mis-identified and bred willy nilly with anything and everything that good markings have long since gone by the wayside.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi Stevie, all way over my head but looks very pretty. Can we see more pics as it colours up more, please?

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

the following birds will be required

a Clear wing cock and hen

an Opaline cock and 2 Opaline hens

yellow face type 2 cock.

You could save yourself some steps if you are able to find birds that already have some of these mutations combined. It should be pretty common in pet types. Not so sure about show types, because I think breeders like to keep their varieties pure.

okay thanks everyone and i will post more photos as soon as i can find my charger for my camera :)