• Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Well, here's a topic right out of left of centre. :D :D

Kaz is in a position of asking for all your advice and pointers to help my family's new pet budgie. I am okay with advice re show budgies and most general budgie stuff, but when it comes to pet budgies who may need to be tamed or wing clipped then it really isn't my field of experience.

THE STORY IS.........

There was a budgie in my grand daughters classroom and each weekend a child gets to take the class budgie home. That class budgie is a yellowface skyblue opaline cinnamon girl budgie called TILLY. I have met TILLY :D

AND after each child gets to take the class budgie home and back to school again the host family has become so besotted with the class budgie that each child is now a budgie owner.

:D :D :D

So..........my family, daughter, son in law and three little grand daughters after having the class budgie at home have decided to get themselves a budgie for a pet.

So, ......I have provided a perfect cage ( large ) and my husband went " budgie shopping " and selected the prettiest baby budgie he could find for them all and now we are at the point of delivering the said little guy to the family he's about to live with........tomorrow.

STANLEY as named by my eldest grand daughter ( almost 5 ) is off on a trip tomorrow to meet his new family having been looked after by us for the past week.

Here is Stanley

stanley2.jpg

and here showing he needs a custom made swing more his size than show budgie sized

stanley.jpg

What I was hoping you would all do here in this topic........is give the advice needed for a familys first ever pet budgie...with taming info or links to good articles in our forum........advice re wing clipping etc and anything you can think of that they can come here and refer to and read up on.......

a kind of pet budgie topic and little project for everyone.

I will refer my family to this topic and they can check in and see whats what and who knows may even join the forum and add some of their experiences with cute little Stanley :D

Cheers kaz

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521

This isnt a test :D please feel free to post advice

Oh well.............here is Stanley who has found his pet sized budgie swing now that the grand daughters and I made him last night

swing.jpg

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

That looks much more his size. For taming and training I'd look at the FAQ's. They have some good info there. It's going to be something the parents do with help from the kids when able. The kids especially will need to learn how to handle/approach him, and taming time and out of cage time will need to be done only when parents are around and paying attention. I have always clipped the wings of inside birds. For me it made handling much eaiser. If I was ever get another pet one I'd do the same again.

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=3&id=155&artlang=en

Edited by maesie
Added link =)

• Member ID:  6,947
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,625
  • Birthday:  16/04/1998

Hey KAZ :) I'm actually really surprised you didn't have a pet budgie :o The best thing to do for starters, is to clicker condition Stanley... This means that you click a dog clicker (I bought mine from City Farmers in the dog section of course for around 6 bucks but I'm sure there are cheaper ones) and you click and reward (millet is the obvious choice, but it's good to have a fruit and nut mixture that he likes)... The best way to clicker train a bird, is to actually do it while he's doing something that makes him happy (For Sparta, this is when music is on, playing on her boing, chirping softly, shaking her tail feathers, scratching her head, perching on one foot, beak grinding, etc. There are so many different things that make different birds happy and content, it just depends on the bird :) Anyway, after you've clicker conditioned him, get a chopstick, and put the tip of it near him but below his head, and as soon as he touches it with his beak (must be a touch with the beak, not the foot, not the butt, the beak) click and reward. Once you can see that Stanley's anticipating the reward, you can make him move around for it... As many bird trainers suggest (I think B.J. does this but I'm not sure) put him on a training diet, it's not about the food you give him, it's about taking out the food at night, and training him the next morning so that he's slightly hungry and willing to work for the food. Soon, you'll be able to get him to step up :) Get your chopstick (from now on I'll refer to it as a target stick) and hold a finger out from your other hand and put it near the perch, but not too close or you might scare him. Put your target stick on the other side of your finger so that Stanley has to step up onto your finger to touch the target stick and when he does step up, say step up :) After he feels comfortable on your finger, inch by inch, move away from the perch, and still with the step up command, get him to perch on your finger... After a while, you'll be able to have him fly from his cage to your finger across the room :)

This is the basic part of training and will lead to a very lovable bird :) I would suggest getting birdtricks.com courses because they are great people who you can trust :) If you're really dedicated to get Stanley's full love and attention, I'd suggest taking a trip over to America, and take a birdtricks free flight course (very very costly, as the course costs about 5 grand, but you can remember what you learn on the course and teach it to any future pet birds) this'll mean that Stanley will be able to perch on your newspaper while you have a cup of tea on the porch :) It also means that he'll be able to be very fit and strong and live a long life :) If you want, once Stanley becomes very tame, I can mail you a copy of one of the birdtricks tricks that I've got :) It was in the halloween package that was given out last year :) I can also lend you the dvd, but I'll need it back :) The dvd has tips on target training your bird (demonstrated with a pacific parrotlet off the top of my head).

I hope you find my advice useful, and I'd suggest joining the birdtricks facebook page, because they have some very good tips, and have monthly competitions where you can win some cool prizes :) Goodluck :)

I dont have a pet budgie Flip, because I have 5 cats inside the house :D

• Member ID:  6,947
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,625
  • Birthday:  16/04/1998

Haha forward it to whom it may concern :D Lol I've been wanting to say that for ages

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  7,123
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  215

What a cutie! I hope they have fun with him!