Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi

New Budgie Question

We bought home our new budgie on Saturday (as company for our other budgie) and have them in separate cages. To start with johnny had green runny poos and i thought it was just because he was in a new environment, different food etc. Anyway over the last two days that bird has eaten nearly non stop. He has his whole body in the seed tray and seems to be eating constantly. I have given him fresh fruit and veg every day too but he has only nibbled slightly on any of it. ANyway today he has whole seeds in his poos. Is this normal for a budgie considering he has eaten himself silly. The runny poos have stopped now so he has normal looking droppings with lots of seed.

They are in separate cages, but are the cages in separate rooms? Because you will want to make sure that if Johnny does have an illness, that he can't transfer it to your other bird. It's not too late to move the second cage away from the first, it can still minimize whether pathogens get spread. Perhaps the first bird hasn't gotten exposed to anything yet.

Appearing to eat non stop, but without actually swallowing any food is a sign of Megabacteria. But I don't know if swallowing whole seeds goes along with that. The fact that the poops have firmed up would indicate that he is actually eating, and so maybe it's NOT Megabac. (I'm not qualified to diagnose, if he has any other worrisome symptoms, you may need to get him to a vet.)

If the poops have gone from green and runny to normal consistency, that's a partial improvement, at least. Do you know what kind of environment he came from? Perhaps he hadn't been given much good food lately, and now at your house he is gorging himself to make up for it. Runny poop is a sign of not eating, so maybe he hadn't eaten in a while before you got him?

Does he seem fine otherwise? I see this post has gone unanswered in a couple of days. How is he doing now?

I have had Johnny to the vet yesterday. The vet has taken tests for the bacteria and given him an injection (not sure what it was as my husband took him and he explained it to him) and put him on a course of antibiotics. Should have the test results back tomorrow or Monday. He said it is either one of three things and we are hoping its a bacteria because the other two sounds as though there isnt much they can do for him and he would need to be put to sleep. The vet also said that he was very thin. Vet said as long as the budgies are not in the same cage then Sammy should be fine and not get it if it is bacterial. On the upside his poops look slightly more normal today (well have only seen one lot with some undigested seed in it) so fingers crossed he is on the road to recovery. Will keep an eye on sammy just in case.

Sorry I typed this before bed last night and I should say that we are hoping its worms or something (not bacterial). Vet gave him betdectin and a Baytril injection and his poos have no seed in them today so far. They are still not normal but better than what they were. Hope this means he is on the mend.