Hotcocoamix84

What Had Gotten Into Her?!

Since I've been a little kid I have always had a keet. My family has always let them be more or less free around the house, and this is the same for my current budgie, Butters. She flys around the living room, but mainly stays on her playground where most of her toys are. Just the past couple of days she has gone nuts! I come home after work and she has dug all the dirt out of the house plant pots. She is attacking plants, the tv, wall art....she even got herself stuck in a lamp! What the heck has gotten into her? Shes about 4 years old. She does have 2 mirrors that she loves to play with....is she feeling frisky? I'm mainly just afraid shes going to hurt herself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello. Sounds to me her hormones have kicked in & she's feeling broody.There's not much you can do to

to help her. Though you might get a lot of conflicting advice about removing her mirror & such like. You

just have to let nature take its course & either just let her get over it, which she will eventually or get her

a mate so she can start her own family. Trying to stop her will only upset & frustrate her. Yours B.J.

If you want to keep her from getting hurt, you probably should keep her inside a cage when you are not around to supervise. You said she has already gotten stuck in a lamp. She could also chew on an electric cord, or who knows what else.

I agree with Finnie. A bird should not be free in the house whilst there is no supervision

birds will do some crazy stuff do not leav them in a house alone but thats okay.... it might be breeding season for her