• Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

Thank youfor everyone in regards to the “mop budgies”. Unfortunately these two budgieswere given at our Pet Mart Australia store, by a Budgie Breeder as it is wellknown that our budgies are only from local clubs. We have never seen a “MopBudgie” before and given no information on them. Theyhave been removed from the store andtaken to live out their days in a happy and safe environment. and a big thank you "Rachelm" giving as a call and giving us the information about them and your understanding in the matter.

Thank you,

Management

Well done Pet Mart. Good to know the little guys will be well cared for. It's really just shame on the breeder for off loading his problems to the unaware.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

I wonder if they will be dealing with that 'breeder' again

You would like to think not.I hope they spoke the the person,

& explained to them. the problem those Mops have.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Well done everybody.

At least we know the people at Pet Mart have taken the advice of concerned budgie owners. For which they are to be commended. :P:P:P

The birds welfare was first priority. Hope they give a ROYAL SERVE !!! to the breeder if they know his identity.

P.S I have just had reply from pet mart in answer to my e-mail. also Top marks for their concern.:rolleyes:

Edited by robyn

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

well all i can say is its a concern for the bcv that a breeder would knowingly off load deformed birds and class them as a mutation

they are a mutation but not as in a good way

they are mutant

to say the least

what concerns me is mainly the better breeders cull their birds to this store and many return often to view and see what Jo blow culled or through the budgie grape vine heard so and so disposed of his .... quality bird as he had wasted enough time on it so runs down for a quick bargain all the time while these mops are for sale i think its out right disgrace to our bird society

another reason i strongly believe in the quick and simple disposal of these dear little things as soon as they become reconized in the nest

not only is it a strain on the pair to feed such chicks as well as sustain the healthy chicks but it puts a quick end to a slow life of slowly starving im sorry but their is no reason to prolong the life's of these birds and sadly it is us the breeders whom have gone beyond natures push to achieve such genetic faults in the first place i know for one if i ever produce a bird with this genetic disorder i will not be sparing its life on account that its cruel to end its life and after a lot of time looking and reading about these mops over various years i have concluded that its in fact worse to actually maintain and prolong their living

yes their is the few rare cases of breeders actually providing the needed and extra food and supplements support so on that in fact makes the decision to prolong their living actually quiet completable and i commend these people and their love and dedication to these birds ...however its as i stated rare dedication one im myself as a very dedicated bird lover /breeder would not even extend my time too as i know that silent pain these birds live with regardless of how happy and healthy the may look slowly their body stops functioning and results in a slow painful silent death ,.... think about that

i know know i am heartless but in honesty keeping them alive is a decision not natural think about that ,.. with out intervention these birds would die with in weeks to a month .

as for off loading them to the pet shop im sure that these two sides to this story but only one is being seen in my view no owner of such a store could be that misinformed in fact any good pet store would of known exactly what was being offered you do not put a price on anything until you know what your selling and if you have no knowledge you look it up or ask one of the many bcv breeders you purchase your sale stock from do you not

and what can i say about quarantine .... these birds would not of lived out the necessary quarantine times any good pet store has in place

my rant done , pet mart in future i suggest you look in one of your many bird mutation book or books on breeding and genetics of budgies so no one pulls wool over your eyes again if it really was a new mutation do you honestly believe you would be the ones to get offered them ... i think not

Yes GB,any one that keeps them alive, are not being kind to the birds. :rolleyes:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

well all i can say is its a concern for the bcv that a breeder would knowingly off load deformed birds and class them as a mutation

they are a mutation but not as in a good way

they are mutant

to say the least

what concerns me is mainly the better breeders cull their birds to this store and many return often to view and see what Jo blow culled or through the budgie grape vine heard so and so disposed of his .... quality bird as he had wasted enough time on it so runs down for a quick bargain all the time while these mops are for sale i think its out right disgrace to our bird society

another reason i strongly believe in the quick and simple disposal of these dear little things as soon as they become reconized in the nest

not only is it a strain on the pair to feed such chicks as well as sustain the healthy chicks but it puts a quick end to a slow life of slowly starving im sorry but their is no reason to prolong the life's of these birds and sadly it is us the breeders whom have gone beyond natures push to achieve such genetic faults in the first place i know for one if i ever produce a bird with this genetic disorder i will not be sparing its life on account that its cruel to end its life and after a lot of time looking and reading about these mops over various years i have concluded that its in fact worse to actually maintain and prolong their living

yes their is the few rare cases of breeders actually providing the needed and extra food and supplements support so on that in fact makes the decision to prolong their living actually quiet completable and i commend these people and their love and dedication to these birds ...however its as i stated rare dedication one im myself as a very dedicated bird lover /breeder would not even extend my time too as i know that silent pain these birds live with regardless of how happy and healthy the may look slowly their body stops functioning and results in a slow painful silent death ,.... think about that

i know know i am heartless but in honesty keeping them alive is a decision not natural think about that ,.. with out intervention these birds would die with in weeks to a month .

as for off loading them to the pet shop im sure that these two sides to this story but only one is being seen in my view no owner of such a store could be that misinformed in fact any good pet store would of known exactly what was being offered you do not put a price on anything until you know what your selling and if you have no knowledge you look it up or ask one of the many bcv breeders you purchase your sale stock from do you not

and what can i say about quarantine .... these birds would not of lived out the necessary quarantine times any good pet store has in place

my rant done , pet mart in future i suggest you look in one of your many bird mutation book or books on breeding and genetics of budgies so no one pulls wool over your eyes again if it really was a new mutation do you honestly believe you would be the ones to get offered them ... i think not

Well said GB.

and to Pet mart............. you knew enough to put a sign on the cage saying Mops and inferring rarity...you must have known something. You have a duty of care here Pet mart.............. what has transpired just made you look like an opportunist and in it for a dollar no matter how hard you have tried to fix things now.

For instance if someone walked in with some Princess Parrots ( green blue and pink ) and told you they were a rare version of a Ringneck parrot would you have believed them and put up a sign for rare ringnecks and a higher price to accommodate the rarity of them ? or would you have asked for proof or looked for confirmation of what you had been told before doing anything ??

:rolleyes:

Edited by **KAZ**

in addition to this topic, it must be said that this had gained worldwide attention here and other places AND the general concensus of opinion has been

the breeder and supplier of these birds to the pet store has a lot to answer for and as these were clubrung birds the breeder AND member of the BCV should be held accountable for his actions.

and that more was known about these birds when they were put up for sale than the pet store is willing to admit and that is evident by the sign put on the cage.

***additionally some attempt was made by the pet store to have certain posts removed from this topic last night. Removal was not acted upon as there was insufficient grounds.

Edited by **KAZ**

I was going to say, if they were rung birds.But thought that they would

not of been that dumb,But it seem they were,I hope the BVC,takes them to task. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Member ID:  6,621
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  188
  • Achievement Points:  1,110

Yes GB,any one that keeps them alive, are not being kind to the birds. :rolleyes:

I have a MOP at the moment and it is in good condition and seems happy..

I really hate to kill anything but will if it seems to be suffering.

Am I being unkind keeping it alive ? I don't believe so.

I think it's personal choice, whether to kill or not.

For some it's easy and for others it's not.

My MOP is getting fresh seed and water everyday and is being kept warm.

It happily sits in my hand. I clean it and monitor it every day, I will take the appropriate

actions if and when I see fit to do so. So if that sounds unkind then I am guilty.

It happily sits in my hand. I clean it and monitor it every day, I will take the appropriate

actions if and when I see fit to do so. So if that sounds unkind then I am guilty.

well you know mine kept going for a while..............you and I and some others would be consider experienced hands to be caring for these birds. A petshop customer in most cases may not be.

Good luck with yours :)

• Member ID:  6,621
  • Content Count:  188
  • Achievement Points:  1,110

well you know mine kept going for a while..............you and I and some others would be consider experienced hands to be caring for these birds. A petshop customer in most cases may not be.

I agree 100% Kaz.

And we would never sell them to unsuspecting buyers for the sake of a few dollars.

I just felt like giving this MOP a change to live a bit longer.

Another day and another time I might have done away with it.

Have you bred any more since Dusty.

I agree 100% Kaz.

And we would never sell them to unsuspecting buyers for the sake of a few dollars.

I just felt like giving this MOP a change to live a bit longer.

Another day and another time I might have done away with it.

Have you bred any more since Dusty.

No more since Dusty

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  7,392
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,280
  • Birthday:  02/06/1962

Hi All

As I am new to the world of these darling creatures and am planning to breed in the near future, does any one have advice of how to avoid the mop mutation? I am wondering if it is due to inbreeding, blood lines being to close or is there some other reason that Mops occur?

I want to avoid this mutation if possible.

thanks Paul

ps I am aquiring breeding stock from a number of different breaders in Vic and NSW

Edited by paulie

• Member ID:  6,842
  • Content Count:  231
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,355
  • Birthday:  01/05/1972

Hi Paulie

Probably nothing to worry about until you start to breed a few then you may need to examine your pairings and try to figure out if you are pairing related birds with the mob gene. Many breeders go years without breeding any.

• 6 years later...

• Member ID:  8,745
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  357

On 18/04/2012 at 8:07 PM, Pet Mart Australia said:

Thank youfor everyone in regards to the “mop budgies”. Unfortunately these two budgieswere given at our Pet Mart Australia store, by a Budgie Breeder as it is wellknown that our budgies are only from local clubs. We have never seen a “MopBudgie” before and given no information on them. Theyhave been removed from the store andtaken to live out their days in a happy and safe environment. and a big thank you "Rachelm" giving as a call and giving us the information about them and your understanding in the matter.

Thank you,

Management

Wow this is way late.

by like 6 yrs.

but I am insulted that you would purposfully breed feather duster budgies as they have limited movements.

i hope you sent them to a real safehouse.

not a fake one.