Hen Laying Eggs In Feeders.. No Nesting Boxes...

• Member ID:  6,867
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  270
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi All

Need some advice I have a pair who have been breeding we don't have any nesting boxes in the Aviary, a while ago I posted about her laying in our feeder, we changed the feeder and for a while she stopped laying. In the last few weeks she's started again, once again laying in the seed dishes, different one to what we had before, or in most cases she's laying while sitting on the perches. The whole time she was emptying all the seed containers, chewing on the sides of them, being destructive really.

Last week we separated them, she's now in a cage on her own. She's still trying to empty the seed trays in the cage, again they are different to the ones in the aviary, but they are deep, so I've only been putting a layer in the bottom so she can't really get the seed out. She's seams okay now, still in breeding condition, so I don't want to put her back in until I can work out what to do to stop them.

What are my options?

Please help....

Bel

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi, If you have them both in aviary, they will mate "whenever they are in the mood". You can't stop mother nature

If you don't want them to breed the only thing you can do is not give her any thing she can regard as a nest, e.g. your seed dish. She may still lay off the perch, hen's will do that sometimes even without a cock bird present.

# 1 Maybe if you could find feeders (tubuler like in small pet cages) that only have the small spout on them.

# 2 Let her lay in the seed dishes and remove eggs each time she lays. :rolleyes:

# 3 OR like the rest of us give her a nest box and let her become a Mum !! and you'll be hooked on budgies. l.o.l. :P

P.s sorry Aus just read you keep 12 budgies. Scrap no 3 if you have them all in aviary, in that case you would be colony breeding and have a lot more problems.:blush:

Edited by robyn

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Last week we separated them, she's now in a cage on her own. She's still trying to empty the seed trays in the cage, again they are different to the ones in the aviary, but they are deep, so I've only been putting a layer in the bottom so she can't really get the seed out. She's seams okay now, still in breeding condition, so I don't want to put her back in until I can work out what to do to stop them.

Maybe the move to a cage of her own will trigger her to stop laying. I've had some where this worked, and some where it didn't. But at least she's out of her old environment where she felt comfortable enough to try to brood. I think disrupting their life like that can throw them out of laying mode, although it doesn't always work

Let us know if she quits, or keeps it up.