• Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  410
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/12/1992

Sky looked a little odd to me today and when I picked him out I saw that somethinglooked odd around his beak. The sides of his beak seems empty (maybe he lostfeathers from there as he's going through a moult).

Then I noticed the feathers above his cere seemeddirty. I cleaned it up and some brownish, sticky liquid started coming out ofhis nostrils.

I’vebeen cleaning his nostril every hour or so.

I used a moist earbud to clean the nostrils andgave him a light mist bath.

I moved him to a separate cage because I amconcerned that he might have passed the disease onto my boys.

Anyways he is trying to sleep now but I noticethat his tail points downwards and moves back and forth.

His droppings are watery too.

I just had a medicine which is manufactured in mycountry for poultry birds, which is supposed to be used to treat bacterial andrespiratory diseases (in chickens mainly I guess).

I mixed that powder in his water and food.

It is called Cosumix Plus

There's no vet around and I don't know what to do.

Edited by Rashu

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

It sounds like you have a sick bird Rashu, take him completely away from other birds. Put him under a lamp or something to keep him warm. Don't know the medication you have but if it's for poultry you would have to be careful of your dose as it may be too strong for him. I suppose anything is better than nothing but don't give him any more showers though just keep him warm and see what others recommend. Good luck with him, it's hard if you have no vet. help.:unsure:

• Member ID:  7,186

I found a medicine called "Doxy-A (vet)", and antibiotic, which is manufactured in my country. It's a powdered medicine which was recommended by a pet store supplier. Since I couldn't find a vet so I had to rely on his advice.

I was told to continue the medicine for 5 days.

I mixed a pinch of the powder in all the food and water bowls of all 4 of my birds, just in case the others were affected, even if they are not showing any symptoms like Sky.

I've also been cleaning out the discharge from Sky's nostrils which dries out and blocks the opening of the cere.

• Member ID:  7,169
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  290

That may help, but only if the bacteria (assuming it even is bacteria) is susceptible to that particular antibiotic. The discharge from the nose is worrying as it may be a sign of psittacosis, are his eyes puffy or is there any discharge around them? Doxycycline may help, but the treatment goes on for a long time from what I can remember from my own experience. I would definitely be trying to get the little one to a vet ASAP for a proper diagnosis though...

Good luck and hope everything turns out okay :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

It sounds like you do have a budgie with psittacosis........and the meds you now have are appropriate for the treatment of psittacosis as long as you get the proportions right for dosage. 5 days will not be enough. The dosage for psittacosis is 6 weeks fresh meds in water daily and during this time do not feed any other sources of moisture....no vegies etc. Take out any sources of calcium like cuttlefish or calcium or mineral blocks. Treat them all.

Pay attention to your clothes and footwear as it can be tranferred that way. Also psittacosis can be conbtracted by anyone who cares for the birds while they are infected.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  7,186

We don't have avian vets around here, so I took him to a vet who claims he treats all kinds of animals, but from what I saw, he was just going along with the symptoms I described and what these could relate to...and he told me to continue the medicines I was already giving him, and to add a small drop of yoghurt to his water because the bacteria in the yoghurt is supposed to be beneficial to the birds.

I got back home anyway, wasn't really impressed by the vet but he was my only hope.

I've been preparing a fresh solution of the meds every day.

It's the third day after I noticed he was sick, Sky now bobs his tail very slightly, almost hard to notice if you look at him from a distance. His droppings seem normal now, there's no more mucus to clean up, I notice de-hulled seeds in his food bowl, and can sometimes catch him eating.

He's more active now and chirps when he hears my other birds chirp from a distance.

He just seems to have lost some weight.

The vet told me to continue the meds for 7 days, but I'll take Kaz's advice instead.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Great news Rashu, sounds like he's picked up a bit, once he's eating normally he should put the weight back on. If the discharge from nostrils has stopped it sounds like you may have got him in time. Keep up the meds though and keep him isolated from others as he still could pass it on to your other birds. Good luck and keep us posted as to how he goes.:rolleyes: