Louise

How Old Are Baby Budgies When Sold In Pet Shops?

Out of interest, how old are baby budgies when they are sold in pet shops?

Just working out a point of reference for when chatting with breeders about what I am looking for. Are they 'technically' baby budgies when sold in pet shops?

Be careful when looking for 'baby' budgies in pet shops as owners tend to tell you what you want in order to sell them.

You want and try to get a baby that has an 'unbroken cap' which means it hasn't gone through its first moult yet and it is under 3 months old.

I would suggest finding an actual breeder rather than a pet shop, as they are going to be more honest with you about a birds age.

They will also be healthier, and sometimes, already used to being handled.

I agree Maddy. My preference is to buy from a breeder. In the past I have always bought from pet stores, but starting to feel less and less impressed with them. I was just asking how old they usually are in pet stores as I have had a few breeders tell me they have budgies available, but are not babies any longer.....moreso around 6months old etc. I just have no idea whether that is the type of age I have gotten budgies in the past (from stores), or whether they have been younger.

I'm also not having much luck finding many breeders in Brisbane. I am sure that they are out there, but I can't find many.

Breeders if they are show breeders generally hang onto their babies longer to see how they turn out before selling the culls on.

Petshops lie about ages of birds and even clip wings of older birds to make them appear as tamed babies.

You need to find a breeder of hand tamed baby budgies not a show breeder.

That's why I want to buy from a breeder. As I don't trust the pet shops anymore.

Problem is finding a breeder and finding one that has any available to buy.

Gum tree is really good for that kind of thing.

Also try the wanted to buy section in the forum, you might get lucky