• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  40
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

I have 2 male budgies and 1 male (I think) peach face lovebird. They were my eldest daughter's but she has moved out and left me to look after them. We have had Haru (blue) for 7 years, he was a little older then the other birds and my daughter felt sorry for him so she pick him. He is a beautiful bird, but has a very nervous disposition. We got Hunter (green) about six months later. Hunter is complete opposite to Haru, he is open and out there kind of spirit. Although Hunter does not like to be touched, but will step up. They bonded great and loved each other. Hated to be separated.

We got Kirei, our love bird about four years ago. She/He was sitting all by itself and tugged at my heart strings and with my daughter's puppy dog eyes I said yes. Now the pet shop owner said that Kirei was a girl, but all she I mean he does is pole dance. We could not cure him of humping we took everything away and he learned to use is perch and hang on with one foot. Can't take away the perch and leave him in a bare cage. Kirei bonded with Hunter and tolerates Haru.

Anyway the boy budgies lived in a cage together, or did I should say. Kirei has his own cage. About a month and a half back Hunter started acting weird, very dominate over Haru. Poor Haru would screech in horror and we would run to find Hunter trying to have his way with Haru. I took Haru out of their cage and put him one of his own. Haru is loving it, but he does miss his mate. Well Hunter hasn't stopped.

Anything with a mirror on it he would get frisky with so we took them out. All except a ladder that I had brought for Haru it has a mirror on the top of it. Anyway Hunter pulled off the side and had it on the bottom of the cage and romancing himself in the reflection. Eventually the ladder turned over so he couldn't see himself.

Once they all calmed down last week I tried to put the birds back together, but although Haru was happy about it. Hunter was a little bit to aggressive so I didn't keep them together.

Then this morning I turned the mirror over on the ladder and Hunter when crazy. He was rubbing himself across the bottom of the cage. I took the ladder out but not without a fight. He tried to bite me, but the scary thing is it was more playful then he was trying to hurt me. This is a bird that will run if you point at him. But this morning it was the opposite I had to try and slowly remove the ladder without hurting him or letting him out of the cage.

My questions are, is this normal? How long will it last? It is all because it is breeding season or something more?

Just to note I do not want more birds, I am actually allergic to them, but put up with it for the kids.

The other thing I would like to know is about my little Haru. I have rearranged his cage and his food bowl is in a place that now when he feeds his little bum shows up. But I noticed yesterday that he bottom is bare. It is like he has a bare batch down there, but it is not noticeable if he stands up normal. Is it normal that there is no feathers down there?

I think that is all. I am just worried about them and thought I would ask for some advice.

Thanks

Lynnette

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is normal budgies especially male budgies to flirt over hens and cocks and the perch. How many feathers are missing under on hi bottom?

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is normal budgies especially male budgies to flirt over hens and cocks and the perch. How many feathers are missing under on hi bottom?

Hi This type of behaviour is way past flirting. As you've noted the instinct to mate can often lead to aggression & even death.

I would keep the birds separated & return the mirrors, poles etc so that the poor birds can relive some of their frustrations

without anyone

getting hurt.. Have you checked out any posts with the thought to re-homing. Where your birds could breed & lead a more

normal lifestyle, I'm sure your daughter would want her old friends to be happy & contented.. As for the bare bottom,

is there any excess redness indicating feather plucking. If not & it gets no worse the missing feathers (if any) will

re-grow. It could also be wear& tear, many Budgies squat on their perches when sleeping. Does he?

Try not to worry to much, budgies & love birds are pretty hardy birds. Yours B. J.

Edited by Bird Junky

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I'm sorry, I disagree with some of what Bird Junky has said. My comments will be in red.

Hi This type of behaviour is way past flirting. As you've noted the instinct to mate can often lead to aggression & even death.

I would keep the birds separated & return the mirrors, poles etc so that the poor birds can relive some of their frustrations I would NOT give them mirrors! Interacting with a bird in a mirror is nothing like interacting with a real live bird. It will lead to even MORE frustration. It may very well be the reason that this problem developed in the first place. Mirrors drive budgies crazy, and are a BAD idea.

without anyone

getting hurt.. Have you checked out any posts with the thought to re-homing. Where your birds could breed & lead a more

normal lifestyle, At seven years old, your birds are probably beyond their breeding years. But living in a large flock might help them solve their issues. Or it might just give them more birds to fight with.

I'm sure your daughter would want her old friends to be happy & contented.. As for the bare bottom,

is there any excess redness indicating feather plucking. If not & it gets no worse the missing feathers (if any) will

re-grow. It could also be wear& tear, many Budgies squat on their perches when sleeping. Does he?

Try not to worry to much, budgies & love birds are pretty hardy birds. Yours B. J.

Are you sure that both budgies are males? After 7 years, you probably would know, but I just wanted to double check. Also, longer hours of daylight could be contributing to their hormonal problems. You could try covering their cages for at least 12 to 14 hours per night. Sometimes that helps throw them out of the mood.

I agree with Splat. Humping stuff in the cage is normal and nothing to be worried about. The aggression problem probably comes in as a result of them trying to protect their "mate" in the mirror from you, the competition, or from each other. (Another reason mirrors are bad.) It will probably take a long period of no mirrors and long nights to get them past this stage. I don't know if they will ever be safe to live together again. That may just be a compatability issue that has worsened with age.

Edited by Finnie

• Member ID:  7,094

Firstly thanks for all your answers. Last night I had to checked on the birds and as their cages are right next to each other I found them both asleep right next to each other, and they were still like that this morning. They love each other and miss each others company. So mirrors could be the problem. Hunter has always had a obsession with them.

They sleep for around 14 hours a night so sleep time is not the problem. I actually thought that we left asleep to long, so knowing this is the right thing to do, is a good thing.

Haru feathers. Well he has feathers that cover his bottom as he moves, but when they are open and move away he is bare like a plucked chicken. It looks like his skin is a normal pink, not red or bleeding anything like, and it looks clean. He does sit on the perch. I have notice that he sits like he is roosting. He wiggles down so that his bottom is sitting on the perch, and he does this for long hours. I though it had more to do with his age. Oh nearly forgot the size of the area that is bare is about 5 to 10cm diameter.

As for mixing with other birds, it could work for Haru, not sure for Hunter. About a year ago we had an extra 4 baby birds. We move so I ended up giving them away, I actually wanted to give all of them, but the girls beg me to keep at least Haru, Hunter and Kieri. The babies were in their own cage, but we took them out and let them interact with the boys. Haru fatten up and pick one to feed all the time, Hunter pick one and wanted to mate. Turns out the one he picked was a male.

I have thought about rehousing them. It has been running through my mind for the last few months. But, I have a few questions about that. Because they see themselves as a flock, would it be to stressful on Kieri to be separated from the budgies? When you take either of them away into another room Kieri calls for them, until you bring them back. I just want to explore that option in case I can't find someone to take them all.

Well thanks again for all your help and I will go and try and find them some toys with out mirrors so that they don't get too bored.

Edited by Lynnette

Oh nearly forgot the size of the area that is bare is about 5 to 10cm diameter.

:lol: Oh my! :o

I'm guessing you meant to say mm! :D

(Now I have a picture of a giant bare budgie but to get out of my brain! :lol: :lol: )

No I do not mean millimeters. I mean centimeters . If you take your fingers and make a okay symbol with them then that is how big the spot it. That is why I asked if it was normal cause I have never seen it on him before. And the only reason I notice this time is cause of the angle he has to get to eat his foot. Haru has a deformed toe and find it hard traveling around the cage so I put his food up near his perch to make it easy for him. I have to admit I do spoil him. The spot is about the size of a 10 to 20 cents piece. Maybe I should have used circumference instead of diameter.

Edited by Lynnette

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

10 cm is 4 inches.....the average size of a pet type budgie's torso in most cases. and 20cm is around 8 inches.............hence the confusion over the size of the bald spot you talked about :blink:

I'm sorry, I disagree with some of what Bird Junky has said. My comments will be in red.

I would keep the birds separated & return the mirrors, poles etc so that the poor birds can relive some of their frustrations I would NOT give them mirrors! Interacting with a bird in a mirror is nothing like interacting with a real live bird. It will lead to even MORE frustration. It may very well be the reason that this problem developed in the first place. Mirrors drive budgies crazy, and are a BAD idea.

without anyone

normal lifestyle, At seven years old, your birds are probably beyond their breeding years. But living in a large flock might help them solve their issues. Or it might just give them more birds to fight with.

I'm sure your daughter would want her old friends to be happy & contented.. As for the bare bottom,

Are you sure that both budgies are males? After 7 years, you probably would know, but I just wanted to double check. Also, longer hours of daylight could be contributing to their hormonal problems. You could try covering their cages for at least 12 to 14 hours per night. Sometimes that helps throw them out of the mood.

I agree with Splat. Humping stuff in the cage is normal and nothing to be worried about. The aggression problem probably comes in as a result of them trying to protect their "mate" in the mirror from you, the competition, or from each other. (Another reason mirrors are bad.) It will probably take a long period of no mirrors and long nights to get them past this stage. I don't know if they will ever be safe to live together again. That may just be a compatability issue that has worsened with age.

I also have to agree here and disagree with most of the comments made by Bird Junky :(

I figured out what is wrong with Hunter and why he has all of a sudden turned into a sex crazed manic. Even though he is 6 years old, this is his first spring. See we lived in Queensland and there is only two season up there, moving down to Victoria has shown him 4 seasons. When spring rolled around, it is obvious that he started feeling urges he has never felt before. Now that there are no mirrors he seems fine. I put the two back together and so far so good. There was a little boasting, but no fighting. They even shared a swing together. I am hoping that they will be alright together. I just got worried as I don't want Hunter or Haru for that matter to get hurt.

As for Haru's bald spot I will keep an eye on him and see how he goes.

Oh there was a question about was I sure they were both boys. Well I would have to way no as I am no expert. However, my eldest daughter has said they are. I actually thought that Hunter may have been a girl, but has blue across his beak. It is not as bright as Haru, but it is still blue. I put that down to the fact they are two different types of budgies.

Thanks for all your help anyway.

Good to hear you have it worked out and it so totally makes sense too.

Re sexing.......

Female budgies who arent in breeding condition will have a cere that is both blue and white so if the pale blue you are seeing is also whitish then that budgie is a female :)

Good to hear you have it worked out and it so totally makes sense too.

Re sexing.......

Female budgies who arent in breeding condition will have a cere that is both blue and white so if the pale blue you are seeing is also whitish then that budgie is a female :)

I face palmed myself when I worked it.

Hunter does have a blue and white cere. It is whitish around the nostrils. I will take photo tomorrow and post it here so you can have a look. But, I do have a question. Do females hump objects?

Haru is definitely a male, he is the feeder of the group. Where as Hunter is bitchy and a biter. I just figure maybe we had gay bird. But then that would also explain why the lovebird has taken a shine to Hunter.

Well hopefully you can help let me know tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.

But, I do have a question. Do females hump objects?

:D Yes they do :D

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing photos. :) The one in your avatar is a nice looking bird.

The reason I asked about genders was because some of my hens get bare around the vent when they are laying eggs. Was just a thought. Anyway, it sounds like it's the other one that might be a female. We have some good threads on here for learning how to tell genders. :)

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=19173&st=0

Guest K&M Breeding

:lol: girls will hump anything even other girls :) I have 2 males who prefer cage bars over females they will climb to the side of the cage put their tail through the bars and just go to town, they ruin their tails every time meaning they go from having long beautiful tails to looking like they just came out of a barber shop and got a bad hair cut it's frayed all over broken pieces off but they won't stop unless they're in the community cage - Well since I don't colony breed it would be kinda hard to breed a pair if The male is in a community cage and the female is in the breeding cage :P but they only do it to the bars The one did do it to toys when he was younger (around 6 months old)

I have a Quaker who lets the entire neighborhood know she's pleasing herself She is not quiet about it at all LOL

as for your lovebird you can't really visually sex lovebirds unless they're sex linked mutations but then you'd have to know the parents mutations and most pet shops don't know that information But What I've noticed with all of my lovebirds I've owned. The males are unable to keep the bedding in their rump - Lovebirds make nests - so if you give them paper they turn into small paper shredders they don't just pull pieces off and make spit balls like Budgies and tiels do, they actually "tear" it off in strips then the female turns and puts it in her rump to take it to nest (rather there is one or not they'll make their own in a corner) they will also do this with empty seed hauls. now my boys when preening can get into some odd positions and look like birdie pretzels including reaching their rump very well and preen, But when my males go to put ''bedding'' in their rump they can't seem to turn enough to get the ''bedding'' in their rump and if they by chance do as soon as they move their head it falls out - it's never stayed put. -- this isn't hard core proof because I have read some males can keep the bedding in the rump. But I've never seen it with mine and over the years I've had 8 to 10 different Males. Also my one female had a "mating dance" I called it the Air Plane - Imagine a child with their arms out pretending they're an air plain it's pretty much the same thing She'd put her wings out and go in circles "dancing" like a child pretending to be an Air Plane - if that makes sense :)

on the Mirror topic I do not give mirrors to single birds I've just read and witnessed too much bad stuff rather it was a small bird or large bird. but normally in a group of birds Mirrors aren't bad but you do have the 3rd wheel thing going on even though its 2 budgies and 1 lovebird So the mirrors may cause an issue in that set up. Even if they do not all live in the same cage they're around each other and are a "flock" of sorts so there would be a 3rd "man out" and the mirrors maybe a bad thing.

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

10 cm is 4 inches.....the average size of a pet type budgie's torso in most cases. and 20cm is around 8 inches.............hence the confusion over the size of the bald spot you talked about :blink:

without anyone

I also have to agree here and disagree with most of the comments made by Bird Junky :(

Hello, Sorry some of you don' t agree with my suggestions but they were offered

with the best intention of helping the birds.huh.gif

Mirrors were put in budgie's cages a few years after they were first exported when it

was realised that being flock birds. Budgies need company real or not. to interact

with. If anyone could show me posts about budgies injuring themselves or

committing suicide because of what they saw in a mirror I'll hold my hands up.laugh.gif

I understood the two cocks were separated & I still don't think removing his mirror

will cure him (not that he's ill) or help himrolleyes.gifhe wont stop until his hormones settle

down. If this coincides with the removal off certain objects from his cage it don't mean

it's magic.ohmy.gif

As for him being to old to breed, that's not quite true. His potency won't be as high as a

younger cock but his hormones certainly are as shown by his antics. rolleyes.gif

This goes for your love bird too. Doing a balancing act to relive frustration may lead to

injury. Give him something the react with maybe a soft toy.

Don't forget you are the one who is keeping them in unnatural conditions. (Cages)huh.gif

Having & making babies is what everything on earth has been programmed to do.It's

the only reason we all exist. So its up to you to make sure they pass through this

frustrating time of their life cycle with the minimum pain & frustrationbiggrin.gif

Oh yes Haru, Loosing feathers at the wrong end to be a sign of old age.

Sorry I do tend to ramble a bit nowadays Yoursrolleyes.gif B. J.

Edited by Bird Junky

Hi,

Sorry it has take so long, but the camera died so I have used my phone.

This Haru, he is the one pictured in my avatar.

haru.jpg

This is Hunter.

hunter.jpg

Well to update they are both back in the same cage without mirrors and so far their is no problem. They are getting along great. Hunter seems more interested in his neighbour, then his room mate.

As for my love bird, yes he/she is very vocal, even gets the wing slapping. It kind of like watching a rodeo. We have tried the soft toy, but was too afraid and then just poops on. Doesn't really matter what sex she is, she's having fun and that all that is important to her.

But I have notice that if I have a tissue she wants it. I will give her some printing paper and see what she does with it. But on the paper subject I have seen Hunter ripping the paper line of the cage if it sticks through, but Haru doesn't do it. Might try the paper on Hunter as well see what he gets up too. Cause he likes the tissue too. Just to note I don't give it too them.

As for Haru's bald spot, well it is still the same. There are no sores on it or it isn't red. There are no extra feathers in the cage as they have finished molting. He has no other bald spots or missing feathers. I think maybe it could be cause he is sitting/roosting on the perch. He seems happy enough singing and blowing kisses. He is eating and drinking. Maybe drinking a lot more but I think that is because it has been hot and I drink more in the heat. Or maybe it's just because when he was in the other cage I had his water in a smaller bowl and it appeared as he was drinking more.

Anyway thanks again for all the help

Lynnette

They are both BOYS :D

• Member ID:  5,666
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

And two very good looking boys at that! :)