• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  110
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

My 5 month old budgie sneezes somewhat frequently throughout the day, probably 10 or so times. The discharge is a small area of matted feathers right above the nostrils on his cere. We took them to an avian vet for their first check up and mentioned this issue. She examined the bird and did not seem too concerned, in addition she did a throat swab and culture to check for particular illnesses. The labs came back and he is healthy.

We know Budgies have sensitive respiratory systems, so we removed scented fragrance from our apartment. In addition, we purchased a HEPA certified air purifier. We also made certain there were no drafts by their cage. They are not by an open doorway or any windows. They are about 5 ft under an a/c vent but we tested for draft by placing a piece of notebook paper on top of the cage and it never moved. We clean the cage about once a week. Any suggestions on what we can do to improve this issue? In the mean time should I clean off the discharge matted on his feathers?

Also I can try and take some pictures later today if that would be beneficial for you guys to see.

Edited by cmf0106

• Member ID:  7,032
  • Group:  Site Members

Here are some pictures I would appreciate some input.

Again we took them to an avian vet and had a Chlamydia, bacterial culture and stool examination. Vet said they were healthy.

scooter02.jpg

scooter01.jpg

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Did you go to an avian vet or a normal vet, normal vets don't know enough about birds. Did the vet say why he thought he was sneezing. I have had birds sneeze and it was nothing. But your bird looks a bit wet on the mask too, is he still eating? It is probably nothing but I would put him on some broad spectrum antibiotics if he doesn't improve soon, he may have a cold, but his mask is wet so it might be a bit more serious, is he vomiting too.

I have a bird here at the moment who has clear bubbles in his nostrils when he breathes and has staining above the cere, I think it is sinus infection, I have him on moxiT it is a prescription drug from Rob Marshall it is for staining above the cere like sinusitis and other things.

whitedfspcockdec16th2011001.jpg

whitedfspcockdec16th2011006.jpg

whitedfspcockdec16th2011003.jpg

But notice my bird does not have a wet mask.

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

One way or another there is something irritating his respiratory system...............whats in the house that may be upsetting him.....??

air fresheners, draughts, aerosols sprays, teflon ??

• Member ID:  7,032

One way or another there is something irritating his respiratory system...............whats in the house that may be upsetting him.....??

air fresheners, draughts, aerosols sprays, teflon ??

We do not use any scented sprays, air fresheners, candles etc.

Did you go to an avian vet or a normal vet, normal vets don't know enough about birds. Did the vet say why he thought he was sneezing. I have had birds sneeze and it was nothing.

Yes we took them to an avian vet, we actually located her through the http://www.aav.org/. The first thing we mentioned was the frequency in sneezing and discolored feathers around the cere. He does not vomit and is eating, singing, playing as normal.

From both my own research and posting this on a few other forums, it seems this is likely Vitamin A deficiency. Which often results in stains above the cere, and occasionally increased sneezing because of a weakened respiratory system. http://www.multiscop...ot/vitamina.htm

This makes sense, because they are very stubborn birds and will only eat seeds which are notoriously low in Vitamin A content. In addition, his feet are somewhat pale and discolored another symptom of Vitamin A deficiency. We are in the process of converting them over to Harrisons pellets. Via the websites instructions we started off by introducing bird builder to their water as recommended 3 weeks before beginning the switch. The bird builder formula has iodine and trace elements, not sure if Vitamin A is included or not. Next step will be to start baking some bird bread, we are going to sneak some carrots into the mix as well.

Edited by cmf0106

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

If you think that is the case just keep giving them silverbeet and carrot and leaves if you have them, both are high in Vitamin A. grate the carrot if they don't eat it whole. I actually haven't seen a budgie that won't eat silverbeet and even the fussiest ones will eat carrot if offered all the time. Birds that have never had ever will take their time about eating them but will in the end. Peas fresh or frozen are good in vitamin A also.