• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,625
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  16/04/1998

Hey guys, in English I've got this debating topic that I'm debating for against (I would have gone for but we were put in randomly) which is Fresh Food Should be Cheaper through Gov. Support, and I need your help please :)

I need to have people say why we need fast food, I had the idea of it being what people like, but I can only really think what to debate FOR :/

Help'll be appreciated :)

• Member ID:  5,236
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

so are you positive or negative? I am a bit confused reading sorry :/

• Member ID:  6,658
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  520
  • Birthday:  01/03/1953

FLIP-TRAINER sorry to be in the negative but we dont need fast food what we need is fresh food However that does not help your debate FAST FOOD creates employment how many people would be out of work just look at the number of fast food joints around .Theres macca pissas chicken shops takeawys plus a proliferation of others . So yes in this case we do need fast food comon the rest of you help out TAZ D

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Really Flip you shouldn't be asking us for help with your homework .... Notwithstanding-

Debate Topic : Fresh Food Should be Cheaper through Gov. Support

Ideas for Against

If I were you I would focus not on why it should be cheaper but why Government Support is a bad thing. I think that is the issue.

Any way, off the top of my head

• We don't need any more Government intervention, our society is over-regulated as it is
  • Supermarkets already import a lot of cheap fresh veggies and fruit, surely we need to protect the local suppliers
  • Fresh food is available throughout the year, prices are determined by supply and demand (whether they are in season)
  • Veggie and Fruit prices have sky rocketed in recent years as oil prices and transport costs have increased
  • Fast food is seen as a cheaper solution to feeding the family, perhaps the Government should tax those outlets?

• Member ID:  6,349
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  222
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,340

Hi there Flip trainer,

A few points in favour of fast food (for debating purposes as fresh is always best).

• Fresh food is already government subsidised compared with pre-prepared foods, as fresh food does not have GST added to it. In effect, as it has less tax it is subsided.

• We live in a democratic society where people have the right to make their own choices, for themselves and their family. Outside of setting rules for the smooth running of society, Governments should not be able to dictate how we live our lives. This is what separates us from communist governments or dictatorships. When governments meddle in people's daily lives, they refer to it as a "nanny state".

• If we limited people to eating or doing only the things that are good for them, things like cream, cakes and bacon would be banned. There would be no lamingtons, or bacon and egg pies. This is un-Australian. Take this idea further and adventure and extreme sports would be banned. Footy causes serious head and spinal injuries, for example. Do we, therefore, ban footy? There would be no Moto GP, no skydiving.

• Fast food provides significant employment, particularly for young people, all around Australia. It also provides income for many Australian farmers.

• Statistics show that wealthier families are the ones who mostly buy fresh food. Is it fair that Government subsidies (our taxpayer money) goes to give extra benefits to the rich? After all, cigarettes are expensive and poorer people still buy them in greater percentages than higher income people.

• Member ID:  6,947

Thx guys, I was looking forward to being on the positive side but unfortunately, I was put on the negative side. It's soooooo easy to think for the positive side.......

I was basically stuck during the whole english lesson cuz I actually can't see how processed, frozen, fast food etc can be thought of positively :/

But thx agian, you really really helped me :) :) :)

And sorry about asking :) But I don't really trust the other sites at all (wikipedia, wikianswers, etc) as like KAZ has experienced, people take the wrong answers as the right ones (if that makes sense to you) So the first thing I thought was this forum :) :) :)

If your mind is set in the mind of the affirmative side, that can be quite a good thing. If you are second or third speaker, you can use this to your advantage. If you prepare rebuttal, it will help you with your speech delivery and give you concrete words/notes to read from. Being first speaker you would also use minimal rebuttal, because the affirmative speaker will speak first. But the main job of the first negative speaker is to summarise their team's main split and present the first 3 points, and the next three that their second speaker will have. But if you believe you have good rebuttal, discuss with your team mates and see if you can swap speeches around.

It may be very easy to think for the positive side, because this is generally what the public's opinion is, but it isn't the belief's the adjudicator have themselves, a debate is judged on many things. If your side has strong speakers, with good and proper structure, then it could fit in easily with a few good points.

As fair as points for your case, I think you should have a strong split in how fast food benefit's society as a whole for your first speaker, and then have how fast food benefit's a household or single person. Below are a few points I have thrown around in my head. You should tie in be able to tie in the government support by mentioning the positives of it.

Speaker 1 - how it benefit's society

It supports the time for people traveling through

offering jobs ----> specially for high-school students ----> which later will help them in life because they learn about workplace and money when they are in their teenage years

offer's space in the town to hang out/ keep teen's out of trouble

Speaker 2 -benefit's family's

easy to grab on the way to work

single mum's who are trying to support children --> not enough money to spend on fresh food/or enough time due to work commitments, which is linked back to them needing money to support their family, so they need to work.

I am going to guess one of their major points will be the health reasons. HOWEVER, it is posisble to have healthy food. For places such as McDonalds, that have the tick approval, or Subway that offer the 5 grams or less of fat or whatever it is. Research different fast foods, an maybe compare then to a home meal which would maybe have worse ingredients/bigger fat content etc. mention how fresh is not always best, in case of frozen vegetables being fresher because they are frozen immediately.

Hope this has helped :)

If your mind is set in the mind of the affirmative side, that can be quite a good thing. If you are second or third speaker, you can use this to your advantage. If you prepare rebuttal, it will help you with your speech delivery and give you concrete words/notes to read from. Being first speaker you would also use minimal rebuttal, because the affirmative speaker will speak first. But the main job of the first negative speaker is to summarise their team's main split and present the first 3 points, and the next three that their second speaker will have. But if you believe you have good rebuttal, discuss with your team mates and see if you can swap speeches around.

It may be very easy to think for the positive side, because this is generally what the public's opinion is, but it isn't the belief's the adjudicator have themselves, a debate is judged on many things. If your side has strong speakers, with good and proper structure, then it could fit in easily with a few good points.

As fair as points for your case, I think you should have a strong split in how fast food benefit's society as a whole for your first speaker, and then have how fast food benefit's a household or single person. Below are a few points I have thrown around in my head. You should tie in be able to tie in the government support by mentioning the positives of it.

Speaker 1 - how it benefit's society

It supports the time for people traveling through

offering jobs ----> specially for high-school students ----> which later will help them in life because they learn about workplace and money when they are in their teenage years

offer's space in the town to hang out/ keep teen's out of trouble

Speaker 2 -benefit's family's

easy to grab on the way to work

single mum's who are trying to support children --> not enough money to spend on fresh food/or enough time due to work commitments, which is linked back to them needing money to support their family, so they need to work.

I am going to guess one of their major points will be the health reasons. HOWEVER, it is posisble to have healthy food. For places such as McDonalds, that have the tick approval, or Subway that offer the 5 grams or less of fat or whatever it is. Research different fast foods, an maybe compare then to a home meal which would maybe have worse ingredients/bigger fat content etc. mention how fresh is not always best, in case of frozen vegetables being fresher because they are frozen immediately.

Hope this has helped :)

You have some incredibly good points there, but with McDonalds having the heart foundation tick, that's only in one of the categories, and they're exaggerating for publicity, just so you're aware ;)

• Member ID:  6,842
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  231
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,355
  • Birthday:  01/05/1972

Free enterprise and freedom of choice is at the core of democracy.

When governments start to make choices on what we consume, will they then decide what is best for us to watch, to read, to worship and to say?

It's a slippery slope into fascism my friends.

(You can use that if you can understand it)

Edited by fordmob

Free enterprise and freedom of choice is at the core of democracy.

When governments start to make choices on what we consume, will they then decide what is best for us to watch, to read, to worship and to say?

It's a slippery slope into fascism my friends.

(You can use that if you can understand it)

Hmmm... I must look into it :)

I know that flip, but you can still use it to your advantage. I dont agree with any of the points that I stated, but sometimes in debating that's the way the penny drops, and you need your mind to be flexible to ignore your beliefs.

• Member ID:  6,360
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,030
  • Birthday:  14/05/1998

Lol we just finished debating in English too.

I was on affirmative but could see the other side too which meant that our second speaker was ready for rebuttal.

Me, being 1st speaker couldn't rebutt, but our team won all up. Unfortunately I was sick that day and so the girl who filled in, was voted best speaker. Apparently my speech was well structured.

If you would like some sheets on how to properly write an debate as either 1st, 2nd or 3rd negative/affirmative speaker reply to this post and I'll try and send 'em asap

Lol we just finished debating in English too.

I was on affirmative but could see the other side too which meant that our second speaker was ready for rebuttal.

Me, being 1st speaker couldn't rebutt, but our team won all up. Unfortunately I was sick that day and so the girl who filled in, was voted best speaker. Apparently my speech was well structured.

If you would like some sheets on how to properly write an debate as either 1st, 2nd or 3rd negative/affirmative speaker reply to this post and I'll try and send 'em asap

That'd be geat Taylor :) Thanks :D

• Member ID:  6,360
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,030
  • Birthday:  14/05/1998

okay here it is

http://www.debatingsa.com.au/Resources/DebateResources/DebatePreparation/speechStructureTemplate.pdf

Hope it helps you, I followed it exactly and got best speaker, well, my replacement did!!!

Lol, thx Taylor :)