• Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  655
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/01/1990

Hi everyone. I hope this is allowed here- I would like to very publicly praise a certain pet store in Canberra in hopes that others will find it useful. If I am not allowed to name them specifically please let me know and I will delete it!

Firstly, I would like to mention that I bought my budgie from a pet store as a last resort. I spent a long time trying to find a breeder in Canberra (KAZ may remember this!) and all potential contact details I had led to nothing.

So I went to a pet store called Belconnen Discount Pet Centre, having been there years ago. This store is a family owned business and not part of any of those horrible chain stores we are all familiar with. My first impression of the store was that I was very impressed, because they kept all of their budgies/tiels/canaries in large, aviary size cages! Instead of having ten poor little guys fighting over their placement on a single perch, the birds there had lots of space to fly around and there were even natural perches and some toys in there. I also learned that their budgies are sourced from a local, Canberra breeder (Aha! There must be at least one then! :)) and not thrown on a horrible, long truck journey from Sydney.

Not only are the birds there very well looked after, I also want to praise the store for the level of aftercare they have given me. My second budgie that I took home from there recently was a biter, and I had several sores on my fingers where the little devil had bitten me until I bled. I was exhausted from trying to hand tame him and didn't know what to do, so I called the pet store. The owner was so lovely and understanding, he invited me to return with the budgie so that he could give me some advice. He spent a lot of time talking to me and showed me a better way to handle the bird, as well as giving me advice on taming. He did not ask for payment for his time, did not just say "oh well, give him back and choose another budgie" or dismiss me when I asked for help. This was all done for the benefit of the budgie.

I really appreciate this pet store :) I have nothing but praise for them, and genuinely recommend that any other Canberra people looking to buy a budgie (or any pet!) should go there. It is so important that we support family businesses these days, and especially pet stores who champion the needs of the animals over being handed a fistful of cash. Belconnen Discount Pet Centre is really a lovely store that deserves our business :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Good news :D and yes...you can leave the Pet stores name up :)

• Member ID:  6,891
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  880
  • Birthday:  19/11/1998

That sounds like a wonderful store, we once had one like that, family owned, but the owners wife developed cancer and has since had more time at home caring for her,now there is a owner who is terrible, he has two aviaries in it with cockatiels,budgies and finches in one, like 50-60 birds, and in the other he has lots of parrots, the floor of the cage is atrocious, and not to mention the smell.

He also has like 30 baby budgies in a small cage and they struggle for perch space, it's terrible!

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

sounds like a person who is doing something they love.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

It's great to hear those sort of places are still around!

• Member ID:  5,925
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  730

I have to agree, this is one of the better (if not the best) pet shops in the Canberra region. I haven't bought any birds from them, but they have a clean store and I've bought a number of toys and accessories from them. When I upgraded my budgie cage to 'grand palace' size, I ended up getting one from this store. They were really helpful and even carried the huge box out to the car for me. Unfortunately the box wouldn't fit in my car so I had to ge them to take it back into the store and put it aside until hubby could pick it up with his car. This didn't bother them at all as they certainly know how to provide great customer service!