• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Kaz, I for one was very sad for the old pensioner that was bidding at the SWBC auction. He spent much more than he expected and although he had someone to help him, I think it was hard for them both.....

On another note I saw the best bird I've put up for auction ever, go to this gentleman, and although I would never begrudge his purchase, I was a little disappointed that the particular bird (which I was told was the best in the auction by several different people) went to this fellow. I know he will not get the benefit from this bird who had a lot to offer an up and coming breeder or even a more advanced breeder.

I don't know the answer here but maybe some better direction from the fellow that was "helping" him might have provided a better result for everyone. Mind you, having been cornered by said gentleman more than once I can attest to how hard actually helping him (not just buy but buy prudently) would be.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Talking about struggling on a pension. There's a pensioner in our clubs over here........deaf as a post, gotta say everything to him ten times before he gets it ....bids on birds and bids against himself and doesnt know where he's at bidding at auctions unless someone helps him, but he spends sh*tloads on birds....pensioner and all.

People will and do find the money for things they really want.......even if buying that special budgie means living on weetbix for 6 months :D LOL

lol the amount of times ive gotten money in a matter of days or weeks to get certain things for the kids for Christmas im sure if i put same effort of ethics into my bird money id be able to get few 1,000 birds myself you are right if you really want something you will get it

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

Dave I believe you need to bench your birds to see where you are at, a judge told me that, I don't believe it is chasing the glory.I believe it is to see where you have progressed and where and what you need to improve.

I will eventually Splat, but at the moment, breeding takes priority, as does the rest of my life. My club meets on a Friday night. Not the best night for me, any time of the year, but especially not now. HSC marking is starting again, so that takes up my free time. Plus my birds are down for breeding.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

That's fair enough Dave but i don't mean now I mean when the show season starts and maybe not next year but at some point it's a good idea. It is real eye opener when you do.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Talking about struggling on a pension. There's a pensioner in our clubs over here........deaf as a post, gotta say everything to him ten times before he gets it ....bids on birds and bids against himself and doesnt know where he's at bidding at auctions unless someone helps him, but he spends sh*tloads on birds....pensioner and all.

:D LOL

Not quite Kaz. He would be the only pensioner I know who has a weekly cleaner ... laugh.gif

his cleaner is probably provided by council ren

i have a cleaner myself weekly at 2.50 per hour for 2 hours a week

bit off subject

i think everyone is harsh on their own birds anyway

i have seen some beautiful birds flying in peoples sheds /flights and to them they are **** they dont even show them on that desishion of their own

i show everything **** or not now as i won best op sex with one my (in my opinion crappiest hens ) id never taken her myself a club member grabbed her out flight and said take her i when mmmmmmm okay but ..... so think about all the fantastic birds flying around no one ever knows about or sees based on our own decisions of our birds ???

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

That's right Gb, you never know unless you show. lol.

There is a saying that I have better birds at home than that but those better birds don't count unless they are there on the bench. I actually do have better birds at home and I am sure plenty of us do but mine would be on the bench if they grew their rotten tails and I am sure they would win too.