• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  231
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,355
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1972

Can I politely request that we collectively stop calling what we do "the fancy".

I played footy for 20 years, I drive a four wheel drive, I drink beer occasionally and haven't had a shandy since I was 14. okay I might sing and play the piano but I don't do "fancies". And beside it rhymes with Nancy. (a lovely name if there are any Nancys out there)

When discussing what I do with mates down at the local and try to sell what we do. I don't want to ask then to join the "fancy" with me. I am liable to be punched in the nose.

Slightly tongue in cheek but still seriously I cringe at the "fancy" description.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

i just say to my girlfriends im a bird breeder

i breed exhibition style budgies

and that if u like cocks you should come for a look

hee hee ...no i dont was just being bad lol

not sure ive called it the fancy pretty sure i say something else but fancys stuck in my head now so hee hee cant think what it is i say

when i remember ill let you know

• Member ID:  6,658
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  520
  • Birthday:  01/03/1953

fordmob any suggestions then "some of us call it a hobby " no doubt some could call it a buisness or a nice little earner. Some partners/spouses would call it "a waste of time" any others out there CHEERS TAZ D

Can I politely request that we collectively stop calling what we do "the fancy".

I played footy for 20 years, I drive a four wheel drive, I drink beer occasionally and haven't had a shandy since I was 14. okay I might sing and play the piano but I don't do "fancies". And beside it rhymes with Nancy. (a lovely name if there are any Nancys out there)

When discussing what I do with mates down at the local and try to sell what we do. I don't want to ask then to join the "fancy" with me. I am liable to be punched in the nose.

Slightly tongue in cheek but still seriously I cringe at the "fancy" description.

• Member ID:  6,842

fordmob any suggestions then "some of us call it a hobby " no doubt some could call it a buisness or a nice little earner. Some partners/spouses would call it "a waste of time" any others out there CHEERS TAZ D

Yeah Taz, my wife has a few choice names for it.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I call it the Hobby. Breeder and exhibitioner of quality budgerigars. Well I try to breed quality birds lol.

I actually don't think I have ever used the word fancy.

splat me neither " The Fancy" is a very english term read any english mag be it budgie,bird ,poultry or pigeon and its always reffered to as The Fancy dont know why but thats their term they can have it All i know its a great hobby be you young or old male or female you meet some nice people all with a common purpose and goal TAZ D

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

" The Fancy " doesnt sit right with me either and I feel the same way you do.

I call it a hobby and would be dead in my grave before the words the fancy came from my lips LMAO :D

• Member ID:  6,337
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  507
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,360
  • Birthday:  22/09/1995

Yeah ive never seen it written hear before but in books i get from the library it refers to the owner or breeder of budgies as the fancier.

• Member ID:  5,913
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  362
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,045
  • Birthday:  08/05/1969

Well fordmob it doesn't matter what I call it my mates, wife and family still laugh at me, they call me a budgie smuggler lol.

I train in Brazilian jujitsu so they no not to push me too farmad.gifI get very little respect from people who know I breed budgies

and thats why it's a lonely hobby because people just aren't into itblink.gif

• Member ID:  5,463
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  160
  • Achievement Points:  880
  • Birthday:  09/05/1966

splat me neither " The Fancy" is a very english term read any english mag be it budgie,bird ,poultry or pigeon and its always reffered to as The Fancy dont know why but thats their term they can have it All i know its a great hobby be you young or old male or female you meet some nice people all with a common purpose and goal TAZ D

Hey Taz and Fordmob,

Let's face it, you spend your weekends playing with little birdies and your worried about people calling you fanciers?

Cheers

PT

:D :D :D :D

• Member ID:  6,842

Hey Taz and Fordmob,

Let's face it, you spend your weekends playing with little birdies and your worried about people calling you fanciers?

Cheers

PT

I am going to have to go and do something to prove my manhood now. Maybe I will go and hit the speedball and pump some iron.

Nah, might have a hot choccy and put my moccos on and read Budgie World.

Hi PT i suppose it could be called worse than fancy but once you become involved with the little b###ERs they take over your life or they have in my case then perhaps i dont have much of a life Cheers TAZ D

well to be honest i don't see to many woman breeders in the exhibition show arena

and most breeders are men

not only that i dont think ive come across more than two in my whole two years that are not woman originated

if you ask my opinion most people who breed budgies have either had a accident of some sort preventing them from working ( like myself )

or have some kind of injury be it physical or mentally :unsure:

after all these little feathered friends are quiet relaxing and time consuming so gives you something to do

i know not everyone that breeds is injured or mental like me :P

but majority of them are seems they are good hobby for people whom can not do physical sport or such

i still cant remember what i call it

when referring to my hobby

but its not hobby either it will come to me

oneday

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

I think FordMob has hit on something here. We bleat about loss of numbers in "the fancy" but maybe it's just an image problem. Maybe to get more blokes involved we need a bit of a danger element thrown in, a Fear Factor if you like. You can't sit at the local with a few mates and tell them how you've been pulling spots and trimming vents all day. You'd be laughed out of the Ladies Lounge. That stuff just doesn't do your manliness levels any credibility. Forget about terminology, what we need is meaner birds, dangerous little b@ggers that strike fear in the hearts of even the blokiest blokes as they enter your aviary and see a feathered missile launching itself straight at your nether region. "Crikey, what do you call these things?" "Killer budgies", you proudly reply. Breeding them up to this level shouldn't be too difficult, we've all had the hen that's ripped our hand to to a bl00dy mess as we've gently prised her from her chicks. The task of just feeding them would be a life and death adventure, but you'd just have to harden the @#$# up and face the music at feed time. Soon the demand for the fighting Chuck Norris of budgies would be insatiable. So blokes of Australia, now's the time to take our hobby from "fancy" to "blokey". Killer budgies, you know you want them.

:D :D :D :D

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Content Count:  112
  • Achievement Points:  675

Hmm budgies the only thing to make chuck norris cry

That does have a ring ti it

I think FordMob has hit on something here. We bleat about loss of numbers in "the fancy" but maybe it's just an image problem. Maybe to get more blokes involved we need a bit of a danger element thrown in, a Fear Factor if you like. You can't sit at the local with a few mates and tell them how you've been pulling spots and trimming vents all day. You'd be laughed out of the Ladies Lounge. That stuff just doesn't do your manliness levels any credibility. Forget about terminology, what we need is meaner birds, dangerous little b@ggers that strike fear in the hearts of even the blokiest blokes as they enter your aviary and see a feathered missile launching itself straight at your nether region. "Crikey, what do you call these things?" "Killer budgies", you proudly reply. Breeding them up to this level shouldn't be too difficult, we've all had the hen that's ripped our hand to to a bl00dy mess as we've gently prised her from her chicks. The task of just feeding them would be a life and death adventure, but you'd just have to harden the @#$# up and face the music at feed time. Soon the demand for the fighting Chuck Norris of budgies would be insatiable. So blokes of Australia, now's the time to take our hobby from "fancy" to "blokey". Killer budgies, you know you want them.

ba ha ha ha love it

if you dont feed them just be for your mates come over then as soon as you enter flight with feed they will swarm onto you, you could pretend your fighting them off hee hee and then come out with your line to talk em into how manly they are phh ha ha ha

or

you blokes could get over your manly man i eat meat and drink beer images and deal with the fact that at least you dont live your life behind a lie of fast cars in footy just to make yourself fit in

i think its called stability and happiness

besides i know some pretty bloke blokes whom breed budgies and if you ever suggest :P they were less of a man

i think you'd wish you'd kept your mouth shut :):blink:

who gives a dam what its called fancy shmansy

bird breeding

hobby

when it comes down to it anyone whom looks at you or suggests your less a man well truth be known they are more likely to be insecure about their own self

• Member ID:  6,782
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  31
  • Achievement Points:  225

Did someone mention budgie smugglers in all of this. I hope you weren't picking on my name!!!

Gb is right their is not a lot of women in the hobby , well there is but men out do them by numbers for sure, Like my club I am the only women in it and when I was in the Riverina club I was the only women in that club too. very sad.

Hey Daryl I breed killer budgies , true.

I have a couple of rotten hens that once they get chicks they attack everytime I put my hand in the breeding cage, I have to go in armed with thick gloves and something think up my arm to cover my skin. They bite and hang on. I come away crying with pain every time. Big chunks out of my arm.

So let me know if you want to start this new breed of killer budgies, I can supply a few of you, :P Mine are really nasty, Greg laughs at me but serious they are killers ;)

Edited by splat

Nope in my case you have to have something to smuggle TAZ D

Gb is right their is not a lot of women in the hobby , well there is but men out do them by numbers for sure, Like my club I am the only women in it and when I was in the Riverina club I was the only women in that club too. very sad.

Hey Daryl I breed killer budgies , true.

I have a couple of rotten hens that once they get chicks they attack everytime I put my hand in the breeding cage, I have to go in armed with thick gloves and something think up my arm to cover my skin. They bite and hang on. I come away crying with pain every time. Big chunks out of my arm.

So let me know if you want to start this new breed of killer budgies, I can supply a few of you, :P Mine are really nasty, Greg laughs at me but serious they are killers ;)

lol yes splat i remember your killer hens hee hee

just add the eagle look and your hens

wallah the start of a new line of nasty birds

I was actually to scared to clean the cage out and putting their in the cage was a nightmare. I swear as soon those hen heard the door on the cage move they out of nest and attacking me. And they would hold and rip pieces out of me.

Last week I went to check a nest with one of those killers and forgot about it and put my hand in teh nest and quickly pulled my hand out with a piercing pain running up my finger and there was a bl..dy rotton killer hen attached, well she adventurely let go and flew around the bird room while I jumped up and screaming because she took a chunk out of my finger. Bi.ch. God I was just checking.

So if any one is after this new bird of killer budgies and I do have some with the eagle look, real nasty bu.ggers they are ;) just send me a email, I am sure I can oblige. :P

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Content Count:  112
  • Achievement Points:  675

okay maybe we should have the word "fancy" changed on the forum automatically to say hobby??

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Hey Taz and Fordmob,

Cheers

PT

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's "the hobby" for me though. Although I never quite understand why it has to be THE hobby when I have many other hobbies that are not pretentious enough to assume that they are THE hobby......