• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Great thread, Dave! I'm all caught up on it now. :D About a half a dozen times I wanted to hit the Multiquote button, to add my two cents, but I know better than to chime in before I have read all the way to the end. Invariably someone else will have already said what I was thinking.

I'm glad Tess is doing better. If her pancreas does start producing insulin again, will that mean adjusting the dosage that you have to inject her with? Your are probably in for a bit of testing and monitoring for a while, huh?

A couple things I thought of as I was reading. Macka really isn't all that far off. I have read that a single mating can fertilize a whole clutch of eggs, so my guess would be that IF a stray cock had managed to get past that one hen's mate, then all the eggs she laid for the next couple of weeks (I suppose that would be all the eggs) could be mystery fertiized. So it will be interesting to see how those chicks feather up. (Sorry, I have to admit that I didn't keep track of which pair that was, and what their chicks are now, I could go look though.)

Oh, and also, as soon as I read that you knew your green hen wasn't split for blue because both her parents were green, I started to chuckle, and thought "I bet you anything she turns out to be split to blue!". Sure enough, a little later on, you got blue based chicks in there. Too funny!:lol:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

Great thread, Dave! I'm all caught up on it now. :D About a half a dozen times I wanted to hit the Multiquote button, to add my two cents, but I know better than to chime in before I have read all the way to the end. Invariably someone else will have already said what I was thinking.

I'm glad Tess is doing better. If her pancreas does start producing insulin again, will that mean adjusting the dosage that you have to inject her with? Your are probably in for a bit of testing and monitoring for a while, huh?

The fit indicated there was too much insulin. I have adjusted the insulin but yes, you are right, it is very much about testing and trialling for the next month or so until we think we are at the right level. The biggest problem is that she could fit when I am at work and I will not know. Here's hoping we are getting it right now

A couple things I thought of as I was reading. Macka really isn't all that far off. I have read that a single mating can fertilize a whole clutch of eggs, so my guess would be that IF a stray cock had managed to get past that one hen's mate, then all the eggs she laid for the next couple of weeks (I suppose that would be all the eggs) could be mystery fertiized. So it will be interesting to see how those chicks feather up. (Sorry, I have to admit that I didn't keep track of which pair that was, and what their chicks are now, I could go look though.)

I know what Macka is saying, but there is no way that another cock may have slipped another this cock's guarding of his hen. I can rarely if ever recall a cock so vigorously protecting his hen. They ate together, drank together, sat together, and if another cock even got close to them, then cock would chase the other potential suitor off. There is no chance that this hen mated with any other cock.

Oh, and also, as soon as I read that you knew your green hen wasn't split for blue because both her parents were green, I started to chuckle, and thought "I bet you anything she turns out to be split to blue!". Sure enough, a little later on, you got blue based chicks in there. Too funny!:lol:

Life is like that isn't it? Just when you think you know all the answers, a curve ball is thrown. I suppose it is because the father of the hen was green and the mother greygreen that I made the assumed she was not split blue. It is like they say, "when you assume you make an *** out of u and me".

Just put the birds to bed and all looks well.

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is an opaline cock and I am still not positive on the colour - grey or blue. Albino Hen and Lutino Hen. All look good.

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - No nest leaving yet - why would they? Parents are terrific. 4 blues and a green. All look good.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - 1 chick with white down so we have a hen - she has been rung. Dad is a violet sky - electric in colour - opaline spangle. Mum is a grey Dommie pied. This little is not a spangle nor a pied, but she is an opaline. She also has her Dad's violet sky blue. I cannot wait for her to get more feathers as she will look electric. She really cuts loose in the noise department. The loudest of all chicks. With her electric colour and her her noise factor going off like an alarm, i thinking that if she is to be named, it will be something like Surge or Jolt

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle, 2nd eldest is a green spangle and too early to tell on the youngest, but I still think it is a sky blue spangle.

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - If nothing from this pair I will return them to the aviary on the Sunday.

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - 2 eggs. I am hoping for fertility.

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 5 big eggs so far

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen - If no movement soon they will return to the aviary.

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - St Jude has layed her first egg for round two. She is beginning to eat on her own, with top ups from Dad.

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - If nothing soon they will return to the aviary.

Pair 11 - Sky blue cinnamon wing cock to greygreen hen - 2 eggs layed.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - The is the most beautiful Sky Blue dommie pied

I was never a Dommie Pied fan and Kaz know this well, but a sky blue dommie pied has won my heart this breeding round.

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - The eldest is an opaline light green, , second is a sky blue cinnamon wing. The youngest is an opaline grey. I think the oldest and youngest are hens and the middle one is a cock. It was the middle one - the sky blue cinnamon wing that did the big jump and I had to return to the nestbox. Even upon his return he tried to climb out again. He is a handful. They have their own little home set up if needed. Dad must be split cinnamon to get a cinnamon wing cock. Funny that neither of the hens are cinnamon but the cock is, whilst both the hens are opaline but the cock is not, when Mum is. It is always possible, just mathematically less likely.

Pair 14 - Captain Jack (Light Green Cinnamon Cock) to an Albino Hen - 6 eggs - not sure if any eggs are fertile - might be too early to tell.

Pair 15 - Violet Opaline Cock to a Grey Hen - none of these eggs looked fertile and the hen saved me the trouble of cleaning them out.

• Member ID:  5,135

It is like they say, "when you assume you make an *** out of u and me".

:lol: :lol: How funny! I don't think I've heard that one before.

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is an opaline cock and I am still not positive on the colour - grey or blue. Albino Hen and Lutino Hen. I think that the eldest might be a hen. Hard to tell with the cere at moment due to the dark melanin there, but she sqwarks like a hen - :lol:

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - No nest leaving yet - why would they? Parents are terrific. 4 blues and a green. All look good. All are coming along well. None are opalines, but many might still be hens. We will see.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - 1 chick with white down so we have a hen - she has been rung. Dad is a violet sky - electric in colour - opaline spangle. Mum is a grey Dommie pied. This little is not a spangle nor a pied, but she is an opaline. She also has her Dad's violet sky blue. I cannot wait for her to get more feathers as she will look electric. She really cuts loose in the noise department. The loudest of all chicks. With her electric colour and her her noise factor going off like an alarm, i thinking that if she is to be named, it will be something like Surge or Jolt - The noisiest chick I have ever seen.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle, 2nd eldest is a green spangle and too early to tell on the youngest, but I still think it is a sky blue spangle. The youngest is definitely a sky blue spangle

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - Returning to the aviary tomorrow.

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - 2 eggs. I am hoping for fertility.

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 5 big eggs so far

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen - Both are in good health so they are returning to the aviary tomorrow.

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - St Jude has layed her first egg for round two. She is beginning to eat on her own, with top ups from Dad. Little green hen starting perching today so that was good. Hen layed her 2nd egg.

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - Returning to the aviary Friday.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - The is the most beautiful Sky Blue dommie pied

I was never a Dommie Pied fan and Kaz know this well, but a sky blue dommie pied has won my heart this breeding round.She sqwarks and bites like a true hen.

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - The eldest is an opaline light green, , second is a sky blue cinnamon wing. The youngest is an opaline grey. I think the oldest and youngest are hens and the middle one is a cock. It was the middle one - the sky blue cinnamon wing that did the big jump and I had to return to the nestbox. Even upon his return he tried to climb out again. He is a handful. They have their own little home set up if needed. Dad must be split cinnamon to get a cinnamon wing cock. Funny that neither of the hens are cinnamon but the cock is, whilst both the hens are opaline but the cock is not, when Mum is. It is always possible, just mathematically less likely. These chicks may never leave the nestbox.

Pair 14 - Captain Jack (Light Green Cinnamon Cock) to an Albino Hen - 6 eggs - not sure if any eggs are fertile - might be too early to tell.

Pair 15 - Violet Opaline Cock to a Grey Hen - none of these eggs looked fertile and the hen saved me the trouble of cleaning them out.

Due to the exhaustion that is HSC marking, all Friday removals to the aviary have been postponed until Sunday morning.

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is an opaline cock and I am still not positive on the colour - grey or blue. Albino Hen and Lutino Hen. Coming along nicely. I am back to thinking the eldest is cock.

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now -The eldest has left and is perching well. Parents are terrific. 4 blues and a green. All look good. All are coming along well. None are opalines, but many might still be hens. We will see.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - 1 chick with white down so we have a hen - she has been rung. Dad is a violet sky - electric in colour - opaline spangle. Mum is a grey Dommie pied. This little is not a spangle nor a pied, but she is an opaline. She also has her Dad's violet sky blue. I cannot wait for her to get more feathers as she will look electric. She really cuts loose in the noise department. The loudest of all chicks. With her electric colour and her her noise factor going off like an alarm, i thinking that if she is to be named, it will be something like Surge or Jolt - The noisiest chick I have ever seen.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle, 2nd eldest is a green spangle and the youngest is definitely a sky blue spangle

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - Returning to the aviary today

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 6 big eggs so far

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen - Both are in good health so they are returning to the aviary tomorrow.

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - St Jude has layed her first egg for round two. She is beginning to eat on her own, with top ups from Dad. Little green hen perches well. Hen layed her 3rd egg.

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - Returning to the aviary today.

I was never a Dommie Pied fan and Kaz know this well, but a sky blue dommie pied has won my heart this breeding round.She sqwarks and bites like a true hen.

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - The eldest is an opaline light green, , second is a sky blue cinnamon wing. The youngest is an opaline grey. I think the oldest and youngest are hens and the middle one is a cock. The greygreen hen, whilst being a great mother, was refusing to let her young out of the nestbox. i have never seen this type of behaviour. Almost the opposite of the empty nest theory. I removed the nestbox, the little ones have a container to hide in they want on the cage floor, and they are all learning to pick at seed and eat greens.

My plan was to move all the pairs that looked like they might not breed out of the breeding shed and back to the aviary, but then i went why? There is no rush. i am not going to breed over summer, so this week is close to their last week to lay an egg, so we will see how they go. As it stands, let me update the pairs since I just spent an hour doing a clean up of the breeding shed, and giving all birds spinach, corn and new seed in the nestboxes.

Pair 1 - Caesar Sky Blue and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a grey opaline cock second is an albino hen an third is a lutino hen.

Old are going well and they have seed so they can learn to nibble and crack seed.

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now -The eldest is a sky blue cock and has left and is perching well. Parents are terrific. 4 blues and a green. The 2nd eldest is a sky blue cock, the 3rd eldest is a sky blue hen, the 4th is a light green cock and the 5th is a sky blue hen.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - Visual violet opaline hen. Noisy little thing.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle cock, 2nd eldest is a green spangle hen i think as she looks opaline, although her Mother is not an opaline but has a lot of opalescence, so i will have to wait and see and the youngest is definitely a sky blue opaline spangle hen. Seed as the nesting material.

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - Still preening. One week to "show me the money".

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 6 big eggs so far

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen - Hen is back in the nestbox. No egg yet but hopeful.

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - Little green hen perches well. Hen layed her 3rd egg.

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - Still preening. One week to "show me the money".

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - Little hen is still in the nestbox but is beginning to look out now, will emerge soon. hen has layed 2 new eggs so i am hoping they and more will be fertile.

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - The eldest is an opaline light green, , second is a sky blue cinnamon wing. The youngest is an opaline grey. I think the oldest and youngest are hens and the middle one is a cock. The greygreen hen, whilst being a great mother, was refusing to let her young out of the nestbox. i have never seen this type of behaviour. Almost the opposite of the empty nest theory. I removed the nestbox, the little ones have a container to hide in they want on the cage floor, and they are all learning to pick at seed and eat greens. Hen can perch with help getting there. Cage needs a ladder. I will go put one in.

Pair 14 - Captain Jack (Light Green Cinnamon Cock) to an Albino Hen -no eggs. Might not get any.

Pair 15 - Violet Opaline Cock to a Grey Hen - 4 eggs now. hoping for fertility.

Pair 1 - Caesar Sky Blue and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a grey opaline cock second is an albino hen an third is a lutino hen. All are going well and they have seed so they can learn to nibble and crack seed.

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now -The eldest is a sky blue cock and has left and is perching well. Parents are terrific. 4 blues and a green. The 2nd eldest is a sky blue cock, the 3rd eldest is a sky blue hen, the 4th is a light green cock and the 5th is a sky blue hen. The 2nd should fledge soon.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - Visual violet opaline hen. Noisy little thing.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle cock, 2nd eldest is a green spangle hen i think as she looks opaline, although her Mother is not an opaline but has a lot of opalescence, so i will have to wait and see and the youngest is definitely a sky blue opaline spangle hen. Seed as the nesting material.

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - Still preening. One week to "show me the money".

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - 4 eggs. I am hoping for fertility.

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 7 big eggs so far

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen - Hen is back in the nestbox. No egg yet but hopeful.

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - Little green hen perches well. Hen layed her 3rd egg.

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - Still preening. One week to "show me the money".

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - Little hen has fledged and is perching well.

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - The eldest is an opaline light green, , second is a sky blue cinnamon wing. The youngest is an opaline grey. I think the oldest and youngest are hens and the middle one is a cock. Nestbox added for hen to begin laying again if she wants for Rd 2.

Pair 14 - Captain Jack (Light Green Cinnamon Cock) to an Albino Hen -no eggs. Might not get any.

Pair 15 - Violet Opaline Cock to a Grey Hen - 4 eggs now. hoping for fertility.

I will set up the kindy cage on Friday or Saturday.

About to go set up kindy cage

This is how things stand at the moment

Pair 1 - Caesar Sky Blue and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a grey opaline cock second is an albino hen an third is a lutino hen. All are going well and they have seed so they can learn to nibble and crack seed. The are all going wwell

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now -The eldest is a sky blue cock The 2nd eldest is a sky blue cock, the 3rd eldest is a sky blue hen, the 4th is a light green cock and the 5th is a sky blue hen. First 2 out and about

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle cock, 2nd eldest is a green spangle cock but has a lot of opalescence and the youngest is definitely a sky blue opaline spangle hen. Seed as the nesting material. Going well

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - Still preening. One DAY to "show me the money".

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - 4 eggs. I am hoping for fertility.

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 1st chick hatched and has been fed. Hoping for a lot more. 6 eggs remaining

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen -Pair will go back to the aviary today or tomorrow

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - Little green hen perches well. Hen layed her 5th egg.Mum happy to have daughter in the nestbox

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - Still preening. One DAY to "show me the money".

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - Little hen has fledged and is perching well. 3 new eggs layed

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - The eldest is an opaline light green, , second is a sky blue cinnamon wing. The youngest is an opaline grey. I think the oldest and youngest are hens and the middle one is a cock. Nestbox added for hen to begin laying again if she wants for Rd 2. All 3 chicks are doing well, learning to perch and all are eating

Pair 14 - Captain Jack (Light Green Cinnamon Cock) to an Albino Hen - 4 eggs

Pair 15 - Violet Opaline Cock to a Grey Hen - 5 eggs now. hoping for fertility.

Pair 5 and Pair 8 have been returned to the aviary.

Pics to come this afternoon. i have run out of time now. Back to HSC marking in 3, 2, 1.............

Photos update

Pair 1

P1010001-2.jpg

P1010004-3.jpg

Pair 2

P1010023-1.jpg

P1010025-1.jpg

P1010024-1.jpg

Pair 3

P1010031-1.jpg

P1010029-1.jpg

Pair 4

P1010006-3.jpg

Note the colour in the green spangle cock here - not opaline, just opalescence

P1010007-3.jpg

P1010008-2.jpg

P1010009-2.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

Pair 5 - Back in Aviary

Pair 6 - 5 eggs

P1010028-1.jpg

Pair 7

P1010026-1.jpg

Pair 8 - back in aviary

Pair 9 - Forgot to get a picture of her, so here is a week old one

P1010004-2.jpg

Pair 10 - back to the aviary tomorrow - probably

Pair 11 - 2 eggs layed

Pair 12

P1010022-1.jpg

P1010013-2.jpg

Pair 13 - no photos of the little green hen, only blue and grey cocks

P1010017-1.jpg

P1010021-1.jpg

P1010034-2.jpg

Edited by Dave_McMinn

Sometimes I think I am writing in this thread as more of a journal for myself than for anyone else.

Kindy cage set up, birds to progressively go in over the next week or so.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

LOL that's how I was thinking, so I only post on mine every now again.

But on a serious not Dave babies are looking great, you have some real nice ones there.

You must be happy with that.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Sometimes I think I am writing in this thread as more of a journal for myself than for anyone else.

Well that is why it is a Breeding Journal Dave laugh.gif

I write mine for myself but also for all my friends and family all over the globe. Some of them are really into it! smile.gif

I write mine for myself but also for all my friends and family all over the globe. Some of them are really into it! smile.gif

If I was doing it all for myself renee then this is not the easiest way to do it

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

If I was doing it all for myself renee then this is not the easiest way to do it

laugh.gif So very true!

Kindy cage set up. It contains the the 2 eldest sky blue cocks from Pair 2, Green Opaline Hen from Pair 9, Sky blue dommie pied hen from Pair 12, all 3 chicks (opaline green hen, cinnamon sky blue cock and opaline grey cock) from Pair 13

Pair 1 - Caesar Sky Blue and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a grey opaline cock second is an albino hen an third is a lutino hen. All are going well and they have seed so they can learn to nibble and crack seed. The are all going wwell

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now -3 still in the nest - the 3rd eldest is a sky blue cock, the 4th is a light green cock and the 5th is a sky blue hen. Hen has layed a new egg.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - Visual violet opaline hen has emerged and is perching. She may go in the kindy cage if I see her feeding herself. Hen has layed a new egg.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle hen, 2nd eldest is a violet green spangle cock but has a lot of opalescence and the youngest is definitely a sky blue opaline spangle hen. Seed as the nesting material.

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - 5 eggs. I am hoping for fertility.

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 1st chick hatched and has been fed. Hoping for a lot more. 6 eggs remaining

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - Hen layed her 5th egg.She addles the eggs as I heard her kicking them around. I took them out and put in extra sawdust to stop their movement. St Jude (the saint) is the patron saint of lost causes. St Jude (the hen) might be the biggest lost cause of all - lol.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 5 new eggs layed. I need to replace the seed in there with other material as the eggs are sinking - :lol:

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen -no new eggs yet

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I'll take this one P1010007-3.jpg pack and send please :D :D :D

• Member ID:  5,135

laugh.gif So very true!

Totally agree! :lol:

It is harder this way, Dave, but it's also nice to have it for a record in the future. Don't you ever go back to your previous years' journals to remember how things went back then?

I'll take this one P1010007-3.jpg pack and send please :D :D :D

What do you think of this body colour Kaz? Neither parent is a YF Blue and and he should be a green bird but there is a lot of blue on him, more than I have seen on any other green bird. Yes, it might moult out after his first moult, but it is a little different. Dad is carrying the violet gene so i think this might play a part. He is a gren bird that is split blue, and like his mother, not an opaline but he has a lot of opalescence.

laugh.gif So very true!

Totally agree! :lol:

It is harder this way, Dave, but it's also nice to have it for a record in the future. Don't you ever go back to your previous years' journals to remember how things went back then?

I occasionally do, usually to get info that I have forgotten.

Changes are afoot in the bird room. With summer fast approaching, I can see where I went wrong last year and I will not put any more pairs down and the new ones can finish up where they are at the moment.

In saying that, a lot of new eggs layed.

Kindy cage set up. It contains the the 2 eldest sky blue cocks from Pair 2, Green Opaline Hen from Pair 9, Sky blue dommie pied hen from Pair 12, all 3 chicks (opaline green hen, cinnamon sky blue cock and opaline grey cock) from Pair 13

Pair 1 - Caesar Sky Blue and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a grey opaline cock, second is an albino hen an third is a lutino hen. eldest two keep coming out of the nest and despite me putting them back they jump out again. I have set up the mini home on the cage floor. I think Mum has layed a new egg.

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now -The 3rd eldest is a sky blue cock, the 4th is a light green cock . Both of these two are spending more and more time out of the nestbox, preching well. They will go to the kindy cage soon. The 5th is a sky blue hen and she is still int eh nestbox, nibbling away at the seed on the floor. Hen has layed 1 new egg so far.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - Visual violet opaline hen has emerged and is perching. She often goes back in the nestbox and Mum is happy with this. Hen has one new egg and is already sitting on it.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - Eldest is a white double factor spangle - hard to tell cock or hen. I am leaning towards cock now. Anyway, it is out of the nest and hen was a bit aggressive so I set up a little floor home for this one. , 2nd eldest is a violet green spangle cock but has a lot of opalescence and the youngest is definitely a sky blue opaline spangle hen. Two youngest are still in the nestbox with seed as the nesting material. Mum has layed 1 new egg.

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - 5 eggs. I am hoping for fertility.

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 1st chick hatched and has been fed. Hoping for a lot more. 6 eggs remaining. I have to candle the others. Little one is being fed very well.

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - Hen layed her 5th egg.She addles the eggs as I heard her kicking them around. I took them out and put in extra sawdust to stop their movement. No more soccer from St Jude since the sawdust was added.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 7 new eggs layed. Seed was replaced with pine shavings as the eggs were sinking in the seed.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

All my dark green birds are that colour Dave, that moult it out, I think like you said it is something to do with the split blue.

My violet green cock and a dark green hen had heaps of chicks that colour, both birds are split for blue, actually both birds had a violet for one on their parents.

Todays update

Hopefully pics later today

Pair 1 - Caesar Sky Blue and GreyGreen Hen - all 3 chicks keeping jumping ut of the nest so now i leave them out. atoo young to go to the kindy cage just yet so little home on the cage floor.

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now -All chicks come out now. They will all move to the kindy cage sometime this week.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - Chick to move to the kindy cage sometime this week.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - White DF spangle is out and perching well. She or he will move to the kindy cage this week.

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - 1st chick hatched and has been fed. Hoping for a lot more. 6 eggs remaining. I have to candle the others. Little one is being fed very well.

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - Hen layed her 5th egg.She addles the eggs as I heard her kicking them around. I took them out and put in extra sawdust to stop their movement. No more soccer from St Jude since the sawdust was added.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 7 new eggs layed. Seed was replaced with pine shavings as the eggs were sinking in the seed.

Like I said, hopefully pics later.

Last night I have to save the little DF spangle from her/his mother. Mum seems happy with the other two, but not the oldest. Once they fledge, she wants them out of the cage, not just out of a nestbox.

The little one has a bloody wing and a bit of blood on her face. I saw the blood on her mother's face.

I checked the wing and it looks okay, cleaned it up a bit. The little DF spangle is now in the kindy cage. All looks good in there.

I will keep an eye on her, but she seemed okay today and it has been almost 24 hours, so that is a good sign.