• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Some really nice chickies there Renee....width across the cere and some nice deep masks on your recessives too. Bet you are pleased with them :)

Mmmmm. They are all right, I'm not complaining. My money's on the Cobalt Spangle but it is so hard at this age to gauge blowability. The Cinnamon Recessive Pied's Dad (Medusa's son) has a nice blow but I really don't see any real evidence of width across the cere in them .... Really I won't know till they all go through their first moult in a few more month's time.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Group:  Site Members

Also today I did an Egg Check, details of the new nest of fertile eggs as follows -

09 Green Normal cock to 08 Green Normal hen: 5 Eggs / 2 Fertile

I am so hoping for chicks from these two. My other 2 pairs of Normal Greens are doing nothing but producing infertile eggs and I really, really want some DF Greens from this line. I will check again on or around Tuesday 18th October.

Well tragedy has struck. I have just finished doing the soft food and found 2 dead chicks in the Breeding Cabinet. Of course it would be to my Green line series birds, the only 2 chicks I was expecting. Both were newly hatched, nice sized chicks and had not been fed. It would appear the hen simply tossed them out of the nest. I cannot tell you how pissed off I am. I have been checking the nest box. Never in my wildest dreams did I think to check to cabinet. Neither did it occur to me to count the eggs. You live and learn.

I have come to the conclusion that the "hands off" approach has serious downfalls.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I have come to the conclusion that the "hands off" approach has serious downfalls.

:D I coulda told you that ................

and maybe I did :D

PS sorry about the chicks :(

Hmmmm. Yes I do believe you said something about that.

Well if I've learnt anything it is that there has to be a happy median and I will try that next season. wink.gif

Just a quick update.

Another chick has arrived to the Cobalt Dommie Pied nest, the third. smile.gif

I have moved the Cobalt and Grey Spangle chicks into the Kindie Cage - Mum wants to go down again but I am removing eggs as she lays them. So far no aggression at all to the 2 remaining chicks.

I have also moved the eldest chick from the DF Maidens Albino nest into Magics nest, so that makes 3 there now.

This afternoon I am doing a whole scale clear out of nests, details later.

• Member ID:  6,621
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,110

Hmmmm. Yes I do believe you said something about that.

Well if I've learnt anything it is that there has to be a happy median and I will try that next season. wink.gif

I have tried the "hands off" approach but every day when i enter the birdroom I get a little excited and take a quick peek. :D

Well it is late and I'm tired so this will be a very quick update.

This afternoon I cleared all infertile nests, all eleven of them with possibly another two tomorrow.

Not all but most birds were released into the outside aviary.

My worst fears have been confirmed and tomorrow's forecast is for 34C. Luckily the temperature will drop back to a balmy 20C+ on Monday so I see tomorrow as a test run for the warmer weather that will come in a month's or so time.wink.gif

The little fledged chickies are doing well and I am seeing signs that they will start feeding themselves but so far they are not able to fill their own crops yet so I am still doing the nightly top ups .... the benefits of the daily contact mean that they associate me with yumminess and all perch on my finger quite easily. wub.gif

Edited by renee

Just checked the weather and Collie will be 31 and Mandurah will be 29 and Perth 34.

Just checked the weather and Collie will be 31 and Mandurah will be 29 and Perth 34.

I know! sad.gif It will be interesting to see if the shade cloth makes any difference. Fingers Crossed!!!!

A fifth chick has arrived to the DF Maiden Albino nest! smile.gif That's it for them, there is another egg but it is clear. I have moved chickie number 2 into the Grey cock and Recessive Pied nest with 3 others so that leaves 3 in the nest.

I have noticed that the little one in the Violet boy's nest is always peeping and now my suspicions have been confirmed this morning - the hen, very experienced, is under-feeding it, its little crop always seems to have air bubbles. I squeezed the air out and will monitor, it is usually just a phase and hopefully will self correct.

Other than that all is good in budgieland! wub.gif

It is already 20C outside so I have turned off the lights and closed up the Breeding Room. There is a coolish breeze blowing but I know at any time it is going to turn hot. Later I will add ice cubes to the drinkers, turn on the fan and add ice packs to some nests.

Edited by renee

It's 13:45 and very hot outside! sad.gif

However, it must be a full 5C cooler in the Breeding Room so I am grateful for that. smile.gif I have just finished adding ice cubes to the drinkers and the little fledglings have 2 ice packs wrapped up in plastic to keep them cooler.

Earlier this morning I swapped the Violet chickie with Albino number 3, this evening I will look to see how they're going.wink.gif

The temperature dropped quite dramatically and by 4pm I was able to open up the Breeding Room to cooler breezes.

As I suspected the little number 3 Albino chick I transferred to the Violet nest is being fed very, very well.

The latest chick to the Cobalt Dommie Pied, number 3, was looking a bit dehydrated so I popped it in with the Albino Maiden hen who seems to be a very good feeder of little chickies.

I am concerned by a couple of adult birds which seem to be gaping a lot and making whooping sorta noises. Clean vents but sudden loss of weight but no discernible staining of the feathers. I have seen this before but it was that long ago I can't remember. If anybody recognizes the symptoms please let me know. In the meantime I have upped the acid content of the drinking water and crop fed a couple with a mixture of Turbosole (for canker) and budgie mix.

Well I am slightly more confident about my initial diagnosis of Canker today as Medusa had some dark green dropping stuck to her vent this morning and along with the Light Green Spangle (still no poopy bum) are the 2 looking the worse for wear. Interesting as they have not been in contact with each other.huh.gif

So now I am treating every bird with Turbosole and hoping I caught it in time. Fingers Crossed.

No new arrivals today but I thought I'd share with you the best bird I have bred so far. Well actually it's his brother as he wouldn't perch on my finger. rolleyes.gif

P1010002-1.jpg

Still a bit young to look very good but he has the overall size and length (ie shape in the body) that I am looking for, nice depth of mask, promising feather and most importantly I like the look of his face - which is more rounded with more on top when he is relaxed. smile.gif

Edited by renee

• Member ID:  6,842
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  231
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,355
  • Birthday:  01/05/1972

The temperature dropped quite dramatically and by 4pm I was able to open up the Breeding Room to cooler breezes.

As I suspected the little number 3 Albino chick I transferred to the Violet nest is being fed very, very well.

The latest chick to the Cobalt Dommie Pied, number 3, was looking a bit dehydrated so I popped it in with the Albino Maiden hen who seems to be a very good feeder of little chickies.

I am concerned by a couple of adult birds which seem to be gaping a lot and making whooping sorta noises. Clean vents but sudden loss of weight but no discernible staining of the feathers. I have seen this before but it was that long ago I can't remember. If anybody recognizes the symptoms please let me know. In the meantime I have upped the acid content of the drinking water and crop fed a couple with a mixture of Turbosole (for canker) and budgie mix.

Just read this and canker would be my first guess.

Just read this and canker would be my first guess.

Thanks for that Dan. smile.gif

A chickie arrived today. smile.gif A first to the Sky Dommie Pied and his Cobalt hen. It hadn't been fed so I swapped it with an Albino chick.

No fatalities but a number of birds are breathing rapidly and not eating. What confounds me is they are not fluffed up. Any way I am hoping to turn the corner tomorrow and see some improvement then. Fingers Crossed.

I thought I'd do a pictorial update on some chicks featured earlier, the Green Normals from the Light Green Spangle nest are looking very nice but the little buggers have figured out they can flap flap their wings and fly away and won't pose on my finger for a photo rolleyes.gif

Here are some photos of some more trusting chicks -

Cobalt Dommie Pied

P1010016.jpg

Normal Sky

P1010012.jpg

Normal Cobalt

P1010015.jpg

Edited by renee

Your photo skills are improving kiddo :D

Your photo skills are improving kiddo :D

You think? blush.gif Actually it's the little ones who sit so obediently on my finger long enough for me to get a couple of photos in!tongue.gif

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Thank you, Renee. :)

Well finally the Avi-Cal I ordered on August 22nd has arrived.rolleyes.gif I won't go into details but needless to say I am happy it is here. wink.gif

So Finnie here are the details for you -

P1010075.jpg

Liquid Calcium & D3 supplement.

Active constituents: Calcium Borogluconate 200g/L; Cholecalciferol (Vit C3) 12,500 IU/L; Magnesium Sulfate 5 g/L.

Dose rate: 40 ml/L in water OR 10ml/cup of seed

Wow, 40mL per L, really? That is a lot, I would be going through that bottle in no time! But I guess it would be taking the place of both my Quiko calcium AND my Soluvet liquid vitamins. I will have to crunch some numbers and see how it compares.

It is a new day and at least for now I am going to look on the bright side and not catastrophize and choose to believe that there is nothing too much wrong with my budgies. Tomorrow a friend is coming over and going to give me a second opinion, so until then all is well in budgieland. smile.gif

I have also come to the realization that some of my little fledged chickies are too reliant on me feeding them so I am stopping for now and assessing. At some point or other they are going to have to start feeding themselves and I am hoping hunger will be a big motivator. In the meantime I have crammed full the kindie cage with millet sprays, seed, hulled oats, soft food and fresh broccoli.

No new chicks today but another DIS to the DF Albino pair and that makes 2 for them and that is it. They look healthy and happy so will be released to the aviary tomorrow.

Instead I thought I'd do another pictorial update on 2 youngsters I am tracking at the moment - the Cobalt Spangle and the DF Yellow

P1010007.jpg

He is starting to get more of a blow going which is promising. He'll never do well in the Spangle Class 'cause he has **** markings BUT I am looking to put him into my DF White line.

P1010006-1.jpg

He's coming up to fledging time, still not looking particularly good but I really do like him.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I use calcivite Plus and it is 5-10mls to a litre. It has vitamin D in it too. I buy the lt size bottle does me for the hole breeding season.

You can get it from

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/store/pigeon_products_shelf.htm

I use calcivite Plus and it is 5-10mls to a litre. It has vitamin D in it too. I buy the lt size bottle does me for the hole breeding season.

You can get it from

http://www.auspigeon...ducts_shelf.htm

Okay Splat that is not the same as Calcivet, does it have the same sugar content?

I tried your link but couldn't read the blurb, please could you post it for me?

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

You can get it from

http://www.auspigeon...ducts_shelf.htm

Okay Splat that is not the same as Calcivet, does it have the same sugar content?

I tried your link but couldn't read the blurb, please could you post it for me?

Try this link, Renee. It costs more at this site, but it tells more information: calcivet plus

Hmm. I use 1/2 teaspoon Quiko calcium and 1/2 teaspoon soluvite in a half liter bottle of water, which works out to 10 mL of products to 1 liter of water. To use 4 times that much seems a lot. I'd be wanting to pay 1/4 the price, to make it even. The brand Splat uses looks promising, but I 'd have to see if it's available in the U.S.

Try this link, Renee. It costs more at this site, but it tells more information: calcivet plus

Hmm. I use 1/2 teaspoon Quiko calcium and 1/2 teaspoon soluvite in a half liter bottle of water, which works out to 10 mL of products to 1 liter of water. To use 4 times that much seems a lot. I'd be wanting to pay 1/4 the price, to make it even. The brand Splat uses looks promising, but I 'd have to see if it's available in the U.S.

Cool, thanks Finnie. Here's the blurb:

Liquid calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium supplementCalcivitePlus.jpg

For caged and aviary birds

Calcivite Plus has been developed by avian veterinarians and aviculturists to supplement the diets of caged and aviary birds that may be deficient in calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium. It is ideal for canaries, budgerigars, finches, cockatiels, grass parrots, rosellas, cockatoos and other birds.

The diets provided for aviary birds, particularly those based on dry seed, often contain low levels of calcium. Calcium deficiency can lead to thin bones, poor growth in babies and reproductive problems including soft-shelled eggs, poor quality eggs, egg binding and post laying paralysis. The calcium in Calcivite Plus is in its proteinated (organic) form, making it water-soluble and more easily absorbed from the bowel.

Vitamin D3 is necessary for absorption of calcium from the bowel.

The levels of calcium and magnesium in the body are related, with levels of calcium in the diet affecting the magnesium requirement. As the level of calcium in the diet rises, this increases the requirement for magnesium. It is therefore useful to also provide magnesium in a calcium supplement.

Calcivite Plus is a fully water soluble, clear liquid that is readily taken by the birds. It can also be added to wet mixes and soft foods, such as fruit or soaked or sprouted seed.

With the calcium in its proteinated form and also containing vitamin D3 and magnesium, Calcivite Plus represents an extremely useful way for the aviculturist to provide essential calcium to caged and aviary birds.

Active constituents: Calcium as calcium proteinate 33g/l; vitamin D3 25,000 iu/l; magnesium sulphate 0.5 g/l.

Just a quick update smile.gif

First the good news in that I have received my trusted second opinion from my friend and she tells me I'm stressing about nothing. Yes they are breathing fast but it is warm in the Breeding Room and at least they are eating the soft food and extra hulled oats I am providing. She also reckons that the fledged chickies are okay as "they'd be dead by now if they weren't feeding themselves". huh.gif

No new chicks so far tody but here are a couple of photos of some newly fledged chicks -

P1010015-1.jpg

Here is the only Lute of this season, not very good body colour but then he is split Blue

P1010017.jpg

This little one can't perch yet tongue.gif Its the sibling to the Cobalt Spangle

Okay well I will be offline for a few days as I need to go into hospital for an operation but I hope to be back online before too long with all the news. Until then Best of Luck to those of you with birds in the Shield Show! smile.gif