• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,300
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/09/1991

I havent posted in a while, a few weeks ago my budgies Hamish and Molly sort of went of vegies ect and only ate seeds, I was thinking because they were bored with corn, peas and carrot (which is what I always give them, as it used to be there favourite) and another reason why they don't like the new vegie dishes I bought because there slightly deeper and Hamish loves to really get into his food (and I mean he really gets into his vegies and sits on them when he is eating) so I bought a bigger, shallower one and the seem to like this one better they both can sit and eat in it. Anyways so im researching different things to try, I have a list of healthy things safe for them however I have been researching not just on this site but also on google and was wonderng if these things are also safe or if anyone has tried it:

Im going to try introducing something new every couple of weeks, really different things instead of them eating just peas, corn and carrot. I bough some radish today for the birds to try this week can they also eat the tops/leafy parts???

I also want to know if these are safe:

- Fennel seeds

- Flax seeds

- Sesame seeds

Also are the things like dried herbs etc mentioned on this site safe for them too:

http://puppiesareprozac.com/budgie-parakeet/nutrition-food/

Particularly the foods listed under the Herbal Additive section such as chili flakes and parsley flakes (im assuming that these are dried herbs) can you give dried herbs to budgies

• Member ID:  6,337
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  507
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,360
  • Birthday:  22/09/1995

There are lots of sites saying whats good for them and whats not but they are not all the same. I would wait for someone who has had experience with these products before putting them in.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I havent posted in a while, a few weeks ago my budgies Hamish and Molly sort of went of vegies ect and only ate seeds, I was thinking because they were bored with corn, peas and carrot (which is what I always give them, as it used to be there favourite) and another reason why they don't like the new vegie dishes I bought because there slightly deeper and Hamish loves to really get into his food (and I mean he really gets into his vegies and sits on them when he is eating) so I bought a bigger, shallower one and the seem to like this one better they both can sit and eat in it. Anyways so im researching different things to try, I have a list of healthy things safe for them however I have been researching not just on this site but also on google and was wonderng if these things are also safe or if anyone has tried it:

Im going to try introducing something new every couple of weeks, really different things instead of them eating just peas, corn and carrot. I bough some radish today for the birds to try this week can they also eat the tops/leafy parts???

I also want to know if these are safe:

- Fennel seeds

- Flax seeds

- Sesame seeds

Also are the things like dried herbs etc mentioned on this site safe for them too:

http://puppiesarepro...nutrition-food/

Particularly the foods listed under the Herbal Additive section such as chili flakes and parsley flakes (im assuming that these are dried herbs) can you give dried herbs to budgies

I don't know about Fennel seeds, but I'm pretty sure flax seeds are fine, and I do know that sesame seeds are fine, too.

There are a lot of dried herbs that are safe. I think ones we use for food are fine, but I would check further before using medicinal herbs. We had a similar discussion a while back, I'll check and see if I can find the link to that for you.

I went to the link you provided above, but I didn't look around too much. Anybody can make a website and write on it whatever they want. After I saw a few things they wrote on their "what not to feed" list that I sort of disagreed with, I quit looking. As for their other advice, I think I would double check with some other sources to make sure it's good advice. (They listed coriander as bad, but coriander is GOOD, they said don't feed grit, supplements in the water, or conventionally grown produce. To each their own, but I use all of those things.)

That's one of the drawbacks of researching on the internet, you can get conflicting advice. So for things that come up on both good and bad lists, I treat them as potentially bad, until I can confirm it from a source I trust.

Here's the link: Herb Topic

• Member ID:  6,071
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  235

I can tell you what my avian vet recomends to be fed to budgies daily. Top of his list are carrot, pumpkin especially butternut, soft sweet potato, grapefruit. You dont have to give all those everyday, mix them up and feed different things so they dont get bored. Next are broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas, beans. I also feed boiled rice, soaked and boiled pulse (soup) mix, soft oatmeal, and other fruits and veges, tomato, other citrus, apple, pear, chilli/capsicum, celery, basil, lemon balm, gotu kola, seeding grasses, eucalypt branches with leaves on, lemon verbena, choko, peppino, pomegranet and pomergranet juice (100%) himalayan goji juice when I have it ( I also drink it myself) plus I add Dr Rob Marshalls health products now and cannot recomend them highly enough. The health and appearance, and happniess of my birds has dramatically improved.

• Member ID:  6,349
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  222
  • Achievement Points:  1,340

I can tell you what my avian vet recomends to be fed to budgies daily. Top of his list are carrot, pumpkin especially butternut, soft sweet potato, grapefruit. ...... plus I add Dr Rob Marshalls health products now and cannot recomend them highly enough. The health and appearance, and happniess of my birds has dramatically improved.

Firebird, Is the pumpkin or sweet potato feed raw or cooked? I haven't tried those.

I just bought some of Rob Marshall's products online. They seem great, palatable for budges which is pleasing, and really easy to use. I've only been using them for a week so far.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Each weekend my birds get a mixture of Grated Carrots, Mung Peas, Snow Pea Sprouts, Celery, Corn, Parsley and Baby Spinach leaves. They love it.

• Member ID:  6,337
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  507
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,360
  • Birthday:  22/09/1995

One of my males puff absolutely loves spinach. he always has a green face after eating it. (he is a cobalt with white face normally).

I feed the pumpkin raw usually, sweet potato lightly cooked, you could make a mash with both if you wanted.

All my birds love pomegranite juice, I get it at coles/bi lo in the vege section, it is 100% juice not rubbish. I put some in finger drawers a few times a week.

On Rob's stuff, if you do it right in about a month you should need sunglasses to look at your birds, mine now look glossy all over and the colours are much more vivid. Some of them almost look like they have been smeared with glitter when you see them in the sun.

He said chamomile tea is also good for them, especially if they ever get any respiritory problems he recomended it for mine that had some strep throat rather than more antibiotics.

Edited by fire bird

• Member ID:  6,349
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  222
  • Achievement Points:  1,340

I feed the pumpkin raw usually, sweet potato lightly cooked, you could make a mash with both if you wanted.

All my birds love pomegranite juice, I get it at coles/bi lo in the vege section, it is 100% juice not rubbish. I put some in finger drawers a few times a week.

On Rob's stuff, if you do it right in about a month you should need sunglasses to look at your birds, mine now look glossy all over and the colours are much more vivid. Some of them almost look like they have been smeared with glitter when you see them in the sun.

He said chamomile tea is also good for them, especially if they ever get any respiritory problems he recomended it for mine that had some strep throat rather than more antibiotics.

thanks Firebird. I'm really pleased so far with Rob's stuff, especially as he really likes the taste of everything. Everything smells good. And it's really easy to prepare. I hate mucking around.

I just get 2 tubs for seed, one plain seed and one with the F vite and E powder mixed in. Saves time. I follow the programs with it so plain seed days are easy and vitamin days are easy and I just add a drop or 2 of turbobooster to the dish after pouring the seed it, mix it up a bit with a fork and put it in cage. Simple, and it dosnt go off like oils or soaked seed so it can stay in all day. KD days (the water cleanser are also easy, as the KD auto washes the dish so I dont have to wash and scrub out on those days, the dishes are crystal clear afterwards. I use the KD to wash the veges, perches, dishes etc just mix in a spray bottle and clean the cage bars etc.