• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  595
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1992

Hi guys,

Sorry for all the posts in the "Health Questions and Tips" lol, im just trying to get my knowledge right about afew different medications thats all - :lol: abit paranoid over all this stuff.

Anyway, i have a bird who isnt looking the best at the moment, She is a young hen who is ill at the moment, she has a dirty vent, she isnt too light - a reasonable weight - so no keel bone showing - she has greenish droppings (which i first thought would be from her green veggies), runny they are, She is still eating, chirping and acting as usual apart from this (i know budgies are great pretenders about their health :rolleyes:) . I took her from the avairy right away to be on the safe side, put her in a hospital cage with newspaper on the floor - and came back to find a greenish dropping with a dead worm in it (positive it was dead). What does this mean? does this mean she had worms, got treated via the equimax, and now they are all dead, and she is passing them? Im hoping that is what it is and she gets better soon. I am treating her again with the worming medication - as i dont want to risk any of my other birds when she goes back into the aviary.

Firstly I treat my birds for worms every 3 months (4 times a year) with a all wormer - equimax. It goes in via water and i normally treat for 3 days, then treat again for another 3 days the next week - to ensure they drink (or to at least try to get the best result out of it) i usually take the water out for a day before worming treatments so the birds drink the worming water. I know there is no way to be 100% sure all birds drink, but that is the problem with all through the water treatments. Also i have treated them with baycox to the back of the neck (read my other topic regarding baycox if that makes no sense - my club told me to administer it that way even though the Internet seems to disagree). http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=30859

Also while im on the topic of worming, is every 3 months (4 times a year) enough times to worm them? I always keep new birds far away from my aviary flock in a different cage and treat them for worms (plus other things) before they go anywhere near my aviary, I also clean my aviaries every weekend (they have paved floors and i usually sweep up any seed + droppings etc, then wash over the dropping areas with a stiff bristled broom (so it removes any traces of droppings ), during this i also wipe down all the perches and metal walls of the aviary.

So to summarise i keep aviaries clean, treat my birds for worms, and keep new birds away but still have the occasional bird getting worms from somewhere?? Where would my birds be getting these parasites from?

Just let me know what you think.

Cheers

Lozza

Edited by Lozza

• Member ID:  6,621
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,110

Maybe the Equimax is upsetting your bird.

As Splat mentioned in another post.

Equimax is for horses not budgies.

• Member ID:  1,812
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  595
  • Birthday:  09/09/1992

Maybe the Equimax is upsetting your bird.

As Splat mentioned in another post.

Equimax is for horses not budgies.

Also my whole club uses Equimax for worming of their birds as it is the one our club sells. It is mentioned on a finch website below

http://www.finchsoci...worms/worms.htm

"EQUIMAX LIQUID ALLWORMER:

Contains abamectin and praziquental. This one was sent to me by Jeff Challacombe from Queensland and he states that it is a staple wormer up there, especially around the Bundaberg area I believe. He states that the recommended dose from their vet was 2mls/litre for 2 days or 3mls/litre for 1 day. He felt, as do I, that the two day dose probably ensures that all finches are well dosed. He has used this wormer with young in the nest and has not experienced problems. I have obtained some and will let you know!!! Both ingredients appear to be excellent."

Ive also used that one for years now (5 years roughly).

I know you guys are just trying to help me out with my questions...but its hard to know what to believe when so many sources give out different information

Edited by Lozza

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

im only going to say if all the members of your club jumped off a mountain would you follow ???

birds have many wormmers available but the most effective for both mite and worms is ivomectin (i cant spell by way )

so i suggest you make a vet appointment with you young hen get her checked out for crop and poo tests find out for sure if they need anything as you can od your birds on stuff causing them to be sick

and get some ivomectin and treat the birds with it as for the bay cox in water for cocci that is how its used but their is two forms one for pidgons and one for cows both are used at diffrent does raits for budgies but only vet can suply either of these treatments to its propper rate of dilution so dont risk what others may even if their birds seem fine

club members can only speculate on what your birds may have as can we

for cost of little you could save lives and money on whats needed nothing more

good luck

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Well said Gb

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

also you asked where the birds could be getting them from

worms have cycles they are like skale mite if you use a recommended treatment yet you only do it once every 3 months then you have not killed the pest

its like the cycle of a flee on a dog

first you give dose this kills adults but not eggs

then the eggs hatch in 6 weeks and you have more flees so you must treat dog in 6 weeks to kill young flees before the grow to egg laying age

then you redo in 6 weeks to make sure the flees that hitched a lift didnt lay eggs before they bite dog and themselfs die

why they now have many treatments to choose from for flees

same as birds and mites and worms

so you must find out the one that kills all the cycles

ivermectin their is also two types sheep and cow i personally use the sheep one and although ive been told by nubbly who knows everything about it that the cow one is the one to use

i feel uncomfortable about using one that is not allowed orally to birds

so the sheep one you can give orally or on back of neck i myself do on neck however i know others who do it orally

they only need treat their birds once with it

me i treat mine once then 2 weeks after to catch any worms that may of hatched after the first treatment '

then i do every three months once been in my stud for while chicks get once then two weeks as well then when they are three months after molt

so go see your vet avian

have a chat get on book now before you really do have an out break of something and cant just ring and order things to be sent out from them as if you have birds sick and you know what you need to treat them you are on books so can call in order pay via bank and get stuff sent out its great

no more visits with consultation costs again to be told what you know already

but that first one is a must for everyone even if your bird is not sick

saves time money and lives this way

Edited by Finnie