anything else i can do?

Guest budgieteen

Guest eterri

I'm so sorry you lost him. :blush: I can definitely empathize.

I still believe he had some sort of illness though. The hens would more likely fight each other over him than bully him to the extent of him dying. And even then, he'd be more likely to die from injuries from the fight. If they were keeping him from the food it would have taken him days to actually starve and I'm sure you'd have noticed him getting thin before that happened (or noticed that he wasn't able to eat). His keel bone would have been very visible near the end. (Some diseases do cause this as well though. They make the bird look as if it isn't eating even if it is.) Also, you said he had droppings stuck to his vent before he passed which also indicated that he must have been able to eat something, or else he wouldn't have been able to make droppings.

I know all this doesn't matter too much now for poor Jet but it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the rest of the birds in case they start showing symptoms too. If you can spare the money, it would be good to have them checked out by an avian vet. (Preferably not the one who told you that Jet was only sick from being bullied--he was obviously wrong in more ways than one.) This is actually imperative if you're still planning on breeding. The birds need to be 100% healthy before you breed them and a good avian vet should do a full work up on them.

Sorry to ramble, I know you must be feeling pretty sad right now. I just wanted to point out the importance of keeping an eye on your other budgies. I hope all goes well with them.

Edited by devvle

• Member ID:  1,057
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  100
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/08/1983

My innermost sympathy, budgieteen. It's hard losing one of the family. But I'm sure Baby, Little One, their brother, Lute their mother and Gundam will be waiting for Jet in heaven. He won't be lonely, but we'l still be sad.

Guest budgieteen

i will be keepying a very close eye on ali vicky and zoe

they all seem fine and lively but i know that doesnt mean they are healthy.

i am going to buy a new male for breeding anyway (jet was my breeeding male!)

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Oh no! ((((hugs)))) I hope the vet was right about it not being a disease. ;)

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

aww poor Jet ((huggles))

Guest Sparky

Sorry I'm a bit late but I've just read through it all and I really hope Jet is okay and that no other budgies get bullied. :D

Guest Andy
:D when you get your new male budgie maybe it would be a good idea to put the food in lots of places when they are eventually in the cage all together