What Fruit And Veg Can I Feed My Budgies?

• Member ID:  4,706
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  645
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi All,

I would like to no what fruit and veg and plants i can feed my budgies??Is frozen corn okay once its defrosted? Can i feed my budgies clovers? What cant i feed my budgies?

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Use the FAQ's Clancy... top left hand corner of page... they have plenty of information in them... or even just use the search function.

• Member ID:  5,641
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,295

Hi All,

I would like to no what fruit and veg and plants i can feed my budgies??Is frozen corn okay once its defrosted? Can i feed my budgies clovers? What cant i feed my budgies?

Corn on the cob or out of a can is fine,mung beans sprouted,carrot,beetroot,oranges apples,grapes.Plant wise i give mine bottle brush at times .

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Clancy you have had budgies an awfully long time and you have a lot of them. I cant believe its taken you this long to ask such an important question and with the FAQ section and a whole forum dedicated to food and nutrition on this forum the info is all there for the taking.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  4,706
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  645

Clancy you have had budgies an awfully long time and you have a lot of them. I cant believe its taken you this long to ask such an important question and with the FAQ section and a whole forum dedicated to food and nutrition on this forum the info is all there for the taking.

Well i have other thing to do that are more important and i am only asking this now as i feed my budgies fruit and veg and grass but would like to extend to what i feed them!??.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Well i have other thing to do that are more important and i am only asking this now as i feed my budgies fruit and veg and grass but would like to extend to what i feed them!??.

What could be more important than taking the time to research and make sure you are feeding your birds properly?!

We are all of us busy. Did you want us to re-write all of the budgie faqs because you are too busy to look them up? How would we know you even have time to read our answers?

Sorry, but you saying that what you have to do is more important really burns me up. :angry:

Guest K&M Breeding

Hi All,

Corn on the cob or out of a can is fine,mung beans sprouted,carrot,beetroot,oranges apples,grapes.Plant wise i give mine bottle brush at times .

don't feed veggies out of the can they have way too much salt and preservatives , and don't feed fruits out of a can either

if your unable to get Fresh Frozen is the next best thing

What could be more important than taking the time to research and make sure you are feeding your birds properly?!

We are all of us busy. Did you want us to re-write all of the budgie faqs because you are too busy to look them up? How would we know you even have time to read our answers?

Sorry, but you saying that what you have to do is more important really burns me up. :angry:

Agreed

I'm a single mom of 2 young kids, I own roughly 50 birds in 6 different species, and a dog, and I take care of my Elderly neighbor plus keep up with the every day cleaning of my house and have a life outside of the internet Yet I am always researching about my birds, what to feed them, what not to feed them etc

Granted I do ask on forums If I can't find an exact answer I'm looking for or if I'm getting to many different answers and I'm still confused on what is the proper answer. but most of the things I look up I find and or I already know the answer to just want to see if any thing has changed. Since Caring for animals change all the time as does the information

and I know a lot of people who Have more birds than I do, kids or no kids but has a real outside world job that keeps them away from home for at least 8 hours a day Yet they manage to do the research and read the articles and take care of their birds properly

Most of the time when some one states " I have better things to do" it just means they don't want to do the work that it takes to research/look up anything

My kids try that line on me all the time - all they find it does is gives them TWICE as much work as they had before they tried using that line on me :rolleyes: and yep because of that I'm often called a Mean mommy But when they grow up and get in the real world they will appreciate That I made them do the work their self and Not do it for them - they won't learn if I do it for them - NO one learns when they have other people do the work for them

Mine get corn out of a can,it does them no harm,if it's good enough for me it's good enough for my birds.

Guest K&M Breeding

Mine get corn out of a can,it does them no harm,if it's good enough for me it's good enough for my birds.

just because nothing is visually wrong with them doesn't mean they're not being harmed by it

Canned Veggies have way too much salt(sodium) and other stuff in them that birds don't need

A can of corn has

489 MG of Sodium http://nutritiondata...products/2418/2

Vitamin A = 1%

Calcium = 1%

Vitamin C = 2%

Iron = 7%

Frozen corn Has http://nutritiondata...products/2421/2

This is unprepared- meaning right out of the bag left to thaw on its own - not heated- once heated the percents change some in the Vitamins and minerals

9 mg of Sodium

Vitamin A = 11%

Calcium = 1%

Vitamin C = 30%

Iron = 7%

Fresh Corn Has http://nutritiondata...nd-pasta/5687/2

58 MG of Sodium

Vitamin A= 7%

Calcium = 1%

Vitamin C = 0%

Iron = 25 %

So for Corn - Frozen is Defiantly Better than Canned, and Even better than Fresh when it comes to the Amount of Sodium(salt) that is in it Frozen even has better percentages of Vitamins than canned or Fresh

I am NOT sure what a good percent of iron is though , I know they need it but I also know too much is not good

While all living beings need regulated amounts of sodium in their systems, too much salt can lead to a host of health problems in birds, including excessive thirst, dehydration, kidney dysfunction, and death. Be sure to keep watch over the amount of salty foods your bird consumes.

http://www.parrot-an...-for-birds.html

Edited by K&M Breeding
  • 2 weeks later...

The canned corn we get in Australia has a 108 mg of sodium per can.I have talked to a few friends of mine regarding feeding canned corn to there birds,and they have been using it as an addition to there soft food for years and feeding it straight from the can to the birds with no ill effects.As far as the salt is concerned budgerigars in the wild drink from brackish water ,very salty & does them no harm.I give fresh corn to the birds at times, but when there is nothing else i use canned,i don't give them anything else from a can though ,everything else is fresh.

• Member ID:  4,396
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,810
  • Birthday:  21/04/1974

I actually add Salt to my birds diet via there softfood fed daily