• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  21/08/1992

I apologise in advance over how big this post is going to be, and I hope that I have put it in the right spot.

I have seen some 'staged photography' using animals, and a few with Budgies in them. One picture included a budgie on a mini vacum which was on a mini rug. I thought it was so creative and adorable that I wanted to try my hand at something like it. And I thought that the people on this forum might like to see the work in progress. So I have decided to upload photos of getting Dalek used to the prop and then the finale shots.

The prop that I am using is my remote controled red Dalek that I brought a few months ago. A Dalek is an alien from the BBC sci fi series Doctor Who, which has been going since the 60s.

I hope you enjoy and find it usefull in case you decide to do something along the lines of this.

((I would like to just say how wonderful Dalek was about this whole thing. I only had the idea this afternoon and it only took him half an hour to get used to it and give me the shot I wanted. He is a dream budgie! :D))

okay, so on to the photos.

This is the first photo I took, as you can see Dalek is rather nervous about the prop, and the only way to keep him near it was to use his food dish with some millet seed in it. I have the prop moved away from him so that he can get used to it, and as you can see, he is giving it a nervous look. I kept note on his apperance and breathing to make sure that he wasn't getting to scared.

SANY0284.jpg

~!~

This is the second picture that I took, it had taken me about five minutes to get him used to the prop that I was able to do this without him flying off on to my shoulder and glaring at the prop. I used a calm voice and let him settle on my shoulder, before putting him back on his food dish. As you can see, he is now more interested in his food then the prop.

SANY0291.jpg

~!~

This was taken without the flash on my camera, but as you can see it came up badly. This was him actually remembering that the prop was next to him and giving it a good look. The reason his beak is open is because he had just picked up a seed he didn't like and was about to chuck it at me.

SANY0290.jpg

~!~

So now he was used to the prop, I decided to remove his food dish and go in for a shot with out it. Which proved pretty much horrid, so after a few minutes of standing still with him grooming and chattering away to my hair, I decided to bribe him with a little bit of seed, just to see what would happen. This is the shot that I got:

SANY0296.jpg

As you can see, he ignored the seed mostly and explored the prop. I flinched when he gave it an experimental nibble and then sighed a breath of pure relief when he decided that it didn't taste nice.

~!~

So now that he was used to the prop and used to standing next to the prop I decided to take away the seed and make the background a little better then my rumpled blankets, corner of my pillow and the backyard. xD And of course, just because he is used to the prop, doesn't mean you will get a good photo. Because a noise outside is so much better then the annoying flashing thing mummy has:

SANY0298.jpg

~!~

I decided to see if not using the flash would produce a good photo, but as you can see, it is to dark and doesn't really do justice to his beautiful colouring.

SANY0300.jpg

~!~

And then, just because he decided that mummy didn't have enough grey hairs from doing this, he gave me the photographers worst nightmare: The blink!

SANY0299.jpg

~!~

After a few head scratches and telling him that he's a good boy, I got this shot. It is a fantastic shot and I love it immensly. But I knew that the flash had kinda destroyed his face a little in a way. It wasn't the best lightening for it, and I knew that when I took it. But as you can see, he is now completly relaxed around the prop and doing his normal thing of posing when the camera comes out. Because he knows I normally like him to look straight at the camera when I take photos.

SANY0301.jpg

~!~

And then, the last picture I was going to take, because I knew that he was getting bored of this new game, I got the gem that I had wanted all along.

And now I give you ((Hopefully my future show winning shot :D))

Dalek meets his name sake, Dalek!

SANY0302.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed looking at my photos and my 'adventure' to get this shot and use some of these tips in case you decide to do it. Don't rush it and always keep an eye on your bird. I know Dalek and I know how much he can take before he stresses out. Nothing I did in these photos stressed him out at all, and when he did get bored and want to do soemthing else, I let him fly around squawking happily and then got him to come back and try again. I made it as fun as possible, by constantly chattering to him and using food treats and head scratches.

And just remember, if the budgie is having fun, it comes out in the photos. :D

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

lol.... what an awesome post and photos. Good work on your part too, such patience! And Yah Dalek... very CUTE!

• Member ID:  5,204
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  605

What fantastic pics, I loved them, and I sure know how patient you need to be. I tried to get Bob to sit on a motorcycle for a picture to make a card for a friend, but gosh, I think he was more into manipulating me and my patience to see how much millet he could extract from me. I finally got a decent picture, but alas, had to leave the millet on the handlebars!

Here was my effort!

Robyn

IMG_0773600x450.jpg

• Member ID:  6,543

What fantastic pics, I loved them, and I sure know how patient you need to be. I tried to get Bob to sit on a motorcycle for a picture to make a card for a friend, but gosh, I think he was more into manipulating me and my patience to see how much millet he could extract from me. I finally got a decent picture, but alas, had to leave the millet on the handlebars!

Here was my effort!

Robyn

IMG_0773600x450.jpg

That is amazing, and so cute!! And i'm sure it would have made a perfect card! I am hopefully going to be able to set up one for a Christmas card this year to send out to my friends and give to my nana and grampa as well as my sister. So i'm glad this one showed me that I had the patience to do it. xD

lol.... what an awesome post and photos. Good work on your part too, such patience! And Yah Dalek... very CUTE!

Thank you so much! I think my mum was shocked at the fact that I did have the patience to do it, because one; i'm not a really patient person and two; I have PTSD which means normally when something goes wrong I give up, but I hung on there today. :D

• Member ID:  1,796
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  894
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,145
  • Birthday:  04/04/1978

Brilliant pictures and dalek is just gorgeous!

robyn how on earth did you manage that? That's a great photo lol!

I'll give it a shot with Oscar but I doubt he will be compliant! LOL

Best advice I can give you, is do it at a time that the budgie is calm and quiet. Dalek is a really little bugger sometimes and is extremly active and hard to get to sit still. But today was the perfect day because he was in a calm mood and it was around dinner time, so he was starting to relax and wanted his dinner and was happy to comply.

So I think you should work out when Oscar has his chill time and do it then. I normally take my photos in this time, and Dalek doesn't seem to mind, because he gets some extra time out of the cage and lots and lots of fuss and snuggles.

That and I think he's a camera hog... :/ xD

For me cheeky, it was out and out bribery and a lot of patience. Bob is a piggy for millet, and he only gets a very small amount each day, but that particular day, he got about a weeks worth. He kept grabbing the piece of millet and flying off! It became almost like a game.

This was another effort, this was going to become a Christmas card.

IMG_0765912x684.jpg

I look forward to seeing your other pics of Dalek...sure sounds like you have loads of patience too!

Edited by RJT

For me cheeky, it was out and out bribery and a lot of patience. Bob is a piggy for millet, and he only gets a very small amount each day, but that particular day, he got about a weeks worth. He kept grabbing the piece of millet and flying off! It became almost like a game.

This was another effort, this was going to become a Christmas card.

IMG_0765912x684.jpg

I look forward to seeing your other pics of Dalek...sure sounds like you have loads of patience too!

That is a gorgeous photo! :D

Dalek doesn't really like millet that much, that's why I used his normal food dish with some millet put in to it. But he just ignored it. Which is weird because the others go crazy for it. LOL

His favorite thing in the world are seed bells with honey in them. Show him one of them and he'll be the best little budgie he can be. xD Normally I would just pull a little bit off the bell and bribe him with it. Or hang the bell up, like I did with his playpen now he can sit on it happily and pose with out the treat.

This is one I took today while we took a little break from our stage photos:

SANY0297.jpg

He loves doing the good 'ol head turn as if he isn't really interested. xD He does it in most of my photos until I tell him to stop it.

• Member ID:  6,349
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  222
  • Achievement Points:  1,340

I was just about to pop off to bed and saw your post. Wonderful stuff! Thanks. Still got a smile on my face.

The photos are great, and so is your running commentary.

Little Dalek is a little darling.

I used to watch Dr Who when I was a teenager. The daleks were bad, but those cybermen used to scare me senseless.

I was just about to pop off to bed and saw your post. Wonderful stuff! Thanks. Still got a smile on my face.

The photos are great, and so is your running commentary.

Little Dalek is a little darling.

I used to watch Dr Who when I was a teenager. The daleks were bad, but those cybermen used to scare me senseless.

I'm so glad that I got a smile out of you. I'm now looking at other ways and props to use for more stage photography. I'm thinking of building a little forest and then putting Dalek in it. Just need to get the stuff and plan it all before I try it.

Edited by **KAZ**

That third photom where he is standing on the seed bowl, looking at the Red Dalek, I think is the best! To me it looks like he (if he had hands), is standing there with his hands on hips, and a lot of attitude, even his beak is open as if he is yelling. It looks like he is standing up to the Red Dalek in a face off!

Robyn

I'm not sure I could get mine to sit still for long enough to do that. Even when I try to get a normal photo, he moves, and I end up getting a shot like this!

IMG_2699.jpg

Edited by stace

• Member ID:  4,916
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  115
  • Achievement Points:  630

I'm not sure I could get mine to sit still for long enough to do that. Even when I try to get a normal photo, he moves, and I end up getting a shot like this!

IMG_2699.jpg

LOL. That cracks me up....those are the exact type of pics I get too! :)

IMG_2699.jpg

That photo is adorable! He's like he is playing peek a boo! I have always heard how much budgies are meant to hate photos, clearly someone hasn't told Dalek about that rule of thumb. LOL

That third photom where he is standing on the seed bowl, looking at the Red Dalek, I think is the best! To me it looks like he (if he had hands), is standing there with his hands on hips, and a lot of attitude, even his beak is open as if he is yelling. It looks like he is standing up to the Red Dalek in a face off!

Robyn

I completly agree with you, it's one of those photos that you wished you could recreate under better lighting and a better background. LOL I think that I'm going to print it out and frame it with some other photos of him so I can put them around my room and my future house. :D

I'm not sure if you have access to them, but it would be cool to get some photos of him with little action figures/army men... you know the ones, so he could be in battle lol

I'm not sure if you have access to them, but it would be cool to get some photos of him with little action figures/army men... you know the ones, so he could be in battle lol

Oh my goat that idea is awesome!!

I'll have to wait till my brothers go back to school and raid their room to find some. If not I'll just buy a small packet of them, sure my brothers wouldn't mind some more toys to play with. xD

I think it would be even cooler with a cardboard base for him to stand on made up to look like a battle feild. I could even use some toilet rolls cut in half for 'barracks'.

Mum just told me to make a mini town and have him being a giant raging bird. LOL So many great ideas coming from everywhere, looks like Dalek and I have a long road of staged photography ahead of us. :D

I was even thinking I might see if anyone would be interested in buying some at the local market maybe one day.

Lego is awesome too!!! You can change to photo into black and white/sepia after you've taken them too... make them look old school/aged!

Lego is awesome too!!! You can change to photo into black and white/sepia after you've taken them too... make them look old school/aged!

I could probably borrow some of my brothers lego men. He has everything from Star Wars to Harry Potter. LOL The last stand of the Storm Troopers and Dumbledore as the budgie advances. xD

IMG_2699.jpg

I just remembered what you said about your budgie's vocab getting bigger. A staged photo for you could be a small picket fence lying next to your budgie with 'More millet!' written on it, and some millet seed all around him and a box tipped over, as if he tipped it over in a protest.

This would be a great way to start, because he would be distracted by the food. It might take some time to get the photo, but it is always worth it from the pride you feel for yourself and your little friend. :D

Phew, got everythin I need for my Easter photo, so I'll be doing that tonight and hopefully have the photos up tonight as well.

So everyone, I introduce my Easter Photos.

My props were an easter bunny I got last year, some chocolate eggs still in their wrappers and Dalek's food dish filled with seed.

okay, so because the way the photo was styled changed so much, I only have photos of the last shot I did. Because other wise we'd be here all night. LOL It took me about half an hour to do it, because once again Dalek was a dream.

SANY0328.jpg

This is him between takes. He just needed a rest so took up his spot on his play gym.

~!~

SANY0327.jpg

I was happy with this shot, until I realised I had cut him in half. This is the first time it's ever happened to me, and i'm still giggling about it. xDD

~!~

SANY0330.jpg

As soon as I hit the button to take the photo, he decided that his food was more interesting. This shot is kinda cool because it is like he's looking in at the eggs.

~!~

SANY0333.jpg

I love this photo because he was the one that decided to climb on to the bunny and looked at the camera. It's really pretty and i'm having trouble picking between this photo or the photo below.

SANY0332.jpg

Think i'll stick with the one above.

~!~

Well I hope you have enjoyed my Easter photos as much as I have making them. And I highly recommend doing staged photography to everyone, because it really is the funnest thing to do. And you feel the greatest amount of pride towards yourself and your pet when it is over and you can look at the product of your hard work and patience.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Love it :D

SANY0327.jpg

Brilliant, Jabberwocky. The Easter Budgie. I love it too. He's a great model. Budgie forum pin-up one day. Vogue the next!

PS. Make sure he doesn't eat the chocolate! It's not good for budgies. (Not too good for humans either in large quantities, but that's another matter.)

They're awesome!!! I especially love your commentary... keep them coming!

Brilliant, Jabberwocky. The Easter Budgie. I love it too. He's a great model. Budgie forum pin-up one day. Vogue the next!

PS. Make sure he doesn't eat the chocolate! It's not good for budgies. (Not too good for humans either in large quantities, but that's another matter.)

Teehee!

Yep, he's very versitile! xDD

I made sure that he didn't eat any of the chocolate, it didn't even phase him to have it in his food bowl. I left enough room between the egg and the edge of the bowl so that he could easily eat the seed with out touching the egg to make sure that he didn't eat anything bad. Though towards the end of the photos he decided that the bunny was now his. So was proudly sitting on it grooming the bow and the bunny's arm.

And chocolate may be bad for humans, but man it is yummy. :D

Love it :D

SANY0327.jpg

Thank you Kaz.

As you can see in this photo, the back half of the bowl was free of eggs, so that he could get to the seed. I was doing my best with placement of the camera to make it look like it was complelty filled with chocolate, but I slipped up in this one. LOL

They're awesome!!! I especially love your commentary... keep them coming!

Next ones are going to take me some time because i'm going to be building a mini city for him to trample through. LOL So I'd say sometime next month they should be up. I'll probably take some photos of the city's progress to show you guys and put them up. Thinking of some sky scrapers made from tissue boxes and some cars made from toilet rolls and bottle caps.

Just like we used to make in Primary School art class.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great photo...well done! Forget Hollywood & Bollywood.....we have Budgiewood, and Dalek is the leading male!