• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,080
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Today the whole aviary was a bit nutty. It was sooo weird for a while.

Whizzbang decided to hit on Sparkles. He left Possum alone and was intently pursuing Sparkles all over the place (she was kind of responding but not overly). Cosmo is Sparkle's current love, so he was alarmed and chasing Whizzbang off very intently. It got quite intense for a while between the two boys I was keeping and eye on it and was about to take one of them out. One boy either side of Sparkles trying to out sing the other and grab her attention.

To add to that commotion, my very quiet little Albino hen Tinkerbell, started actively pursuing Cosmo. She was flying at him and trying to land on top of him and chasing him and doing it over and over. I don't know whether it was aggression or what. Cosmo was completely not into it and kept trying to escape her and he looked quite alarmed. Tink has not paired with anyone. She usually loves to play by herself.

Then it all died down after about 40 mins and it all seemed to go back to normal!!!! Whizz and Cosmo are best mates again and Possum and Whizz appear to be back where they were with him trying his hardest to get her to snuggle up to him.

Does this kind of upset happen normally or did I inadvertently set them off in some way... or is Sparkles coming into season?? And what's with Tinkerbell being so intent on Cosmo so suddenly. Poor guy looked like he was being stalked.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Despite old wives tales told like

"Budgies mate for life " etc

Budgies are not monogamous. they dont pair for life and they arent "faithful"to each other.

Its our perceptions sometimes that make us think this because we see them pair up and are so cute and loving with each other.

If budgies paired for life how on earth would us show breeder be able to pair them up for breeding with our selection of partners and swap partners with them at a moments notice ? Good thing they dont pair for life :D

Your budgies are feeling frisky thats all and no amount of you thinking that certain budgies are a paired or bonded couple will make it so long term. They will swap it all around at will :)

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  6,633

I did wonder about the supposed pairing for life thing reading about the breeders putting certain pairs and swapping them around.

So you think Tinkerbell was frisky and after Cosmo? She's normally a very introverted little soul. Very active, just by herself though normally.

There was so much going on in that cage for about an hour it was amazing. We all needed a bex and a lie down when they had sorted it out!

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

sounds like normal flock behaviour to me.

would have been interesting to watch

• Member ID:  6,543
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  147
  • Achievement Points:  1,380
  • Birthday:  21/08/1992

When you say they don't pair for life, can that sometimes be true?

Because we have a huge flight aviary with budgies in it, and Dalek's mum and dad are still together and she is sitting on her second clutch of eggs happily while he feeds her. And if any male comes near her Prongs will attack them and drag them away, and the same with the females who go after prongs, Mama will attack them.

Is this normal budgie behaviour, or are our budgies just weird? LOL

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

budgies if left together can stay bonded and not cheat.

Guest K&M Breeding

that's a normal day at my house LOL I do have 1 pair that stick to each other like glue and want no part of no other male or female They've been together since I bought them (Separately) in 2007 they've both Bred with other mates but since I paired them together they've stuck to each other like glue, It used to be I'd put them with their mates, when they were done I'd put them back into the community cage and they'd go on about their business and usually hook up with some one else. BUT every time I put these 2 back in the community cage They are attached at the hip - you never see them far apart I have one toy in there that is a Triangle I have it in the cage upside down The female usually sits in the V of the triangle and the male on the top right above her If she moves he moves if he moves she moves When I go in and start chatting to them When I call him to the front of the cage no matter where he was at She's right behind him she pays me no mind of course but he does he loves for me to get close to the cage and chat with him :) he was my very 1st bird I ever had :D Oh and none of mine are tame ;) but here's what mine look like on a daily basis - but all my others they don't care who's around my males will try to seduce other males if they get the chance LOL

Ps Casper Was going through a heavy molt so don't mind her appearance

TweetyandCasper12711.jpg

then the Triangle toy they both love to sit on together

TweetyandCasper4211.jpg

So I do have 1 pair that are true to their mate :) I guess they really do Love each other :D

Edited by K&M Breeding

• Member ID:  5,628
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  1,283
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,095
  • Birthday:  26/03/1998

Yep, it's hectic lol.

My budgies are always switching partners, sometimes Marigold and Skye, Chubba Chubs and Marigold, Lexi and Skye, Thimble and Skye, Chubba Chubs and Lexi, even Marigold and Lexi and Skye and Cubba Chubs! :rolleyes:

They stay with the same bird for months! :blink: They're weird.

• Member ID:  6,543
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  147
  • Achievement Points:  1,380
  • Birthday:  21/08/1992

Yep, it's hectic lol.

My budgies are always switching partners, sometimes Marigold and Skye, Chubba Chubs and Marigold, Lexi and Skye, Thimble and Skye, Chubba Chubs and Lexi, even Marigold and Lexi and Skye and Cubba Chubs! :rolleyes:

They stay with the same bird for months! :blink: They're weird.

Gosh! If you film it you could sell it to MTV and have the brand new reality tv show!

Budgies Gone Wild!

LOL!!!

• Member ID:  6,633

They are so sweet! Possum likes to sleep on one particular swing and Wizzy sleeps on the top where it hangs from above her. He gets crabby when anyone else tries to go to sleep near them and shoos them away. He follows her around everywhere just waiting for her to give him a morsel of attention :)