Falcon

Question About My Budgie's Behaviour

Hi, everybody. I'm a new comer. rolleyes.gif

I has recently bought a new female budgie. It's now around 6 months old. She isn't afraid of my fingers now. She can stand on my fingers. But she doesn't want me to touch her. Unless she is satisfied after eating, she bites me when I try to touch her. What does she behave like this?

P.S. Just a piece of extra information... I originally has a male budgie. He is now around 4 years old.180547_10150093453207810_779222809_6397579_6604677_n.jpg

Alot of budgies, including mine, don't like to be touched or stroked on their head or body. Mine is really super tame, and he just doesn't like it either.

I can give him a nuzzle with my nose on his head or belly, but he hates fingers for anything other than perching or playing with.

I think I could probably train him up by feeding him millet and simultaneously stroking his back to get him used to it. But I just figure, why bother.

Some people have budgies that are okay with getting a little scratch around the head. I don't believe most are like that naturally though, without training.

Why this is, I'm not sure. Probably a natural self defence. Maybe a nose is like a beak, so it's kinda familiar to them. But fingers are probably just scary alien appendages, apart from their similarity to a perch.

Who knows. Birds can be kinda weird little creatures.

I agree with Stace. Usually its only a scared budgie that will put up with being stroked - it's too terrified to do anything except sit still. And I think a lot of people mistake this for compliance.

If you have any mirrors in the cage remove them. They do their head in and give them something to protect and be possessive over.

If you have any mirrors in the cage remove them. They do their head in and give them something to protect and be possessive over.

yep i agree

my mirror even does my own head in lol :P