• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  595
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1992

Hi guys,

I am reviewing my medications used for my birds and came across two diseases i dont really know alot about. My birds are treated for lice and all types of worms (Avian Insect Liquidator and Quimax liquid all wormer).

my budgies are perfectly healthy at the moment, however i was just wondering what you guys use to treat canker and megabacteria and how to prevent them?

Ive heard of Ronnivet for canker, but where can i obtain this? Also i think i heard vetafarm spark mentioned to help with megabacteria? not really sure.

Thought i would ask the silly questions and just get it out of the way so my birds are kept healthy :)

Thanks

Lozza

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I am not sure if you can get Ronivet from a pet shop, but you can get it from a vet. Tell them you want to do your avairy 4 times per year, and they will sell you Ronivet - more for pre-treatment thatn post.

As for megabacteria, you cannot treat against that. Mega only really shows itself when the birds is already weakened and in poor health due to somethign else. Most birds in Australia carry mega, so do not worry about it. The best thing you can do is to keep your birds in a clean, dry environment. In saying that, do not make it too sterilised. The birds need to be able to build an immune system to handle some illness.

• Member ID:  1,812
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  595
  • Birthday:  09/09/1992

My local vets will not sell ronnivet to me without me taking a bird in (pretty hard at the moment as i dont have any sick birds) i just wanted it as a preventative. Is it possible to buy it through a club or through a breeder on here? sorry to be a pain but i just dont know where else i can get it

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Spark is used for energy, I give my birds spark when they return from the shows along with probotics.

I have to admit I have done the preventive treatment for canker but I did have a bird vomiting so I treated the whole flock.

I was reading in Dr R Marshells book that it is not wise to treat the birds for canker if they do not have it. It is quite dangerous to treat them for it if they don't have it. It can do more harm than good.He says only treat for canker if there is an on going canker problem going on, vomiting and birds dieing.

If it's not broken why try to fix it.

I think if your birds are healthy and no sign of vomiting and birds dieing, I really wouldn't worry about it. We can give our birds far to much medication and wonder why the won't breed.

But if you choose to treat them that's your choice but yes you will need to see a vet. It is a prescription medication.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I agree with both Dave and Splat. :)

Thanks Kaz, I have learnt the hard way.

The only thing I do for mega bacteria is I put half a lemon and or orange in their aviary and they like it. It is citrus and that is meant to be some type of preventive mega treatment.....At least it won't harm the birds.

When you give medicine when not needed especially broad spectrum antibiotic, the birds can get immunity towards it and eventually that medication will not work, same as humans.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

i also did this splat but i was told citrus does harm them so i have stopped

i am very un sure of things that dont have proof behind then when it comes to my birds now however others feeding orange n lemon dont have issues

i agree dont fix what is not broke

But did they say natural citrus like orange and lemon or citrus powder harms them GB.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

My birds get oranges and lemons and grapefruit with no ill effects. They will clean it up overnight......masses of it :)

Same here Kaz and had never had any problems, I figured it's natural so must be better than medication.

Oh! I have been putting a full apple in the aviaries too, so they can chase it around , like a toy well the clean then up in a day too, unbelievable how the devour it.

Edited by splat

i was giving oranges dayly and lemmons one a week

carrots dayly and silver beet 3 times a week

i have stopped this now

i changed it and im so unsure what to listen to my birds get only bits of things here and their now :{

• Member ID:  5,913
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  362
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,045
  • Birthday:  08/05/1969

I use apple cider vinegar in there water sometimes, I'v read that it can help with keeping birds healthy?

Yes the apple cider vinegar with the mother in it is the best. It helps keep the flora in the stomach balanced.

I try and give my birds greens everyday GB, Carrots they only a couple of times a week because they are high ], I think Vi A , can't remember but I know you can over do it with carrot.

Mine get half lemon or orange once a week or fortnightly , mainly when I remember.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

i have stopped this now

i changed it and im so unsure what to listen to my birds get only bits of things here and their now :{

Well, GB, I'm still sticking with the advice you gave me back in the fall, to give them carrots, greens and orange every day. And no random, unexpected things to throw them off when they are breeding. It's been very consistent since then, so I'm hoping I will have good results. I'll let you know next time they have chicks, if it makes things better.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

ACV and oranges and lemons are all natural sources of acid. Megabacteria does not proliferate as much in an acid environment as it does if the gizzard environment is more neutral. Similar story with some other organisms. That's why it's promoted as a healthy option for budgies HOWEVER a too acid water/food source limits a birds ability to properly digest protein (I think it's protein.....or maybe it was vitamin E........ too long ago toproperly remember) as we found out when using KD Powder (a water acidifier) with our already fairly acid bore water which saw all of our budgies lose weight and not be able to gain weight properly.

I still do feed oranges and lemons but don't worry about the ACV as our water (as I mentioned) is already quite acid.

Edited by nubbly5

Perfect explanation Nubbly5. I think natural is best.

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  6,777
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  30

I was speaking to a club member at a meeting the other night who has had some major issues with birds getting sick with megabacteria, I told her to just throw a few lemons quarters into the aviary and her hospital cage and allow the birds to eat them at will, this is something I do once a week in dry periods and three tines a week in wet periods ( like now in Melbourne) birds that are feeling unwell will naturally eat more of these foods to aid in the increase of intestinal acid levels! She did this the sane night after the meeting and called today to inform me that her birds are already looking 100 times better! I avoid putting ACV or citric acid in the water as all bacteria if exposed to high levels of acid will eventually mutate to accommodate these levels! As Splat mentioned earlier, one of the largest issues that we are facing with medications at the moment is the over use of things like antibiotics and even natural products which in turn allows for higher tolerance levels to these things!

It is always best to only treat with antibiotics and other medications as a cure not a prenvtative! Our birds are quiet intelligent and will generally only eat the lemons / oranges when they feel the need it.

i have stopped this now

Well, GB, I'm still sticking with the advice you gave me back in the fall, to give them carrots, greens and orange every day. And no random, unexpected things to throw them off when they are breeding. It's been very consistent since then, so I'm hoping I will have good results. I'll let you know next time they have chicks, if it makes things better.

that would be good it should as that was the advice i was given by one of the best

just my memory is so so bad finne i really dont remember what i even told you now to a t just random bits so i truley do get worryed ill over do things

however in saying this i have been just going with my gut instinked and things are looking good

nubbly my birds did the exact same thing due to to much acid lost weaight couldnt gain weaight

but are now all good

i have given them a orage and lemmon few times a week and carrots on the off days freash seedling grasses to boot :)

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

i have stopped this now

that would be good it should as that was the advice i was given by one of the best

just my memory is so so bad finne i really dont remember what i even told you now to a t just random bits so i truley do get worryed ill over do things

however in saying this i have been just going with my gut instinked and things are looking good

nubbly my birds did the exact same thing due to to much acid lost weaight couldnt gain weaight

but are now all good

i have given them a orage and lemmon few times a week and carrots on the off days freash seedling grasses to boot :)

Well, it's been 8 months that I've been feeding them their new diet consistently. This past breeding season went very well. All the mothers fed their chicks well, and only one died. And it was the eighth chick in that nest, and I just think 8 was too many for her. And she was the one who couldn't kept a single chick alive the last time.

GB, you told me that I was making my feeding routine way too hard, and I was giving them way too many different things. Plus, since some of it was random, as I was trying to give them a varied diet, you (and your advisor who gave the advice) said that the hens wouldn't know for sure if they would get the right food they needed on any given day. That they had to have just the basics, and those reliably.

Would you like me to resend you the emails, to jog your memory?

And I had thought the oranges were for vitamin C, I didn't realize they were for acid, too. :)