• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

My new English budgie was born on October 15th, so he's about 4 months old. I've purchased him from an English budgie breeder. Even though he's supposed to be an English budgie he looks as tiny as my American budgie and he doesn't seem to get any bigger. I was wondering if theres still a chance of him getting any bigger, like 1,5 times bigger than my American budgie?

Thanks

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Firstly you do not have an "english" budgie. If anything it is a show budgie or exhibition budgie but not "english".

If you lived in england maybe an english budgie but even the english do not refer to their budgies as english. One bred from show or exhibition stock is just that a show budgie or exhibition budgie or bred from such.

As far as its size goes, that purely down to genetics......what genes it gets from its parents. Even a runt in a clutch from show budgies can grow on suddenly at around 6-8 months and surprise you, so maybe too soon to be worried. But really you need to view parents and grandparents to see what its come from and even then it may still come out better than its parents if the pairing for breeding it was good.

Just because someone says they have "english" budgies like the breeder who sold you yours, does not mean they breed for show or to perfect or improve their stock. They may just think its a way to get more money for the babies and not be selecting for better bred babies.

PS there is no such thing as an American budgie either. Correct terminology is pet type budgie not american. American budgie is terminology only used in the states and begun by pet stores to differentiate between two type or sizes of budgie.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

Couldn't have said it better Kaz

• Member ID:  5,226
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  46
  • Achievement Points:  335

Then why do some pet shops in OZ advertise some as English budgies and charge more for them..

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Then why do some pet shops in OZ advertise some as English budgies and charge more for them..

So they can charge more for them,As Kaz said that is the way they should be called.

Because they are petshops and pet shops invent their own terminology if they dont have any facts. Its petshops in america that called pet budgies AMERICAN, call normal mutations of budgies RARE, and call show budgies ENGLISH on the whole.

Petshops reinvent the english language to suit their sales of birds.

People who do know the right terminology of these birds rarely own petshops to be able to use correct terms for the birds.

Common usage of a term does not make it correct :D

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I don't disagree with all of you. I think that a bird that originated in Australia is Australian, period. Not English or American. But I can tell you, that after two years of trying to get involved in budgies here, we are NEVER going to change the minds of the Americans and how they term their budgies. (Please note, if you don't know me, I'm American, and I live in Indiana.)

I go to the bird fairs and look for budgies. You can find American types and English types. You can't find ANYONE who sells Pet types or Show types. I search on line to find breeders, and budgies for sale. You can find American types, and English types, and even half-English, which I guess must refer to the in between sizes and the hybrid bred ones. But you can't find ANY pet or show types. It is just the accepted terminology here.

I've come to accept that. People look at you funny, as though you are trying to be high-brow when you try to use the pet and show terms. I've been fortunate to find a few local breeders around here. It took me a long time. There just aren't that many. But all of the breeders I've met use the terms English and American. You're lucky if you can even get people to use the term budgie instead of parakeet. (Except at the bird fairs, where if you say parakeet, they say "what kind of parakeet?" There you HAVE to say budgie.)

So I've learned not to use the terms American or English here on the forum, because I'll catch flack. But I've learned that I better use those terms with the people I meet in real life, because that is the ACCEPTED TERMINOLOGY here.

It's not fair to jump all over the case of newcomers to the forum who use the terminology that they have learned. It's like telling them to go back to their English Budgie breeder and tell him he's ignorant for calling himself that. (They are lucky they even found a budgie breeder at all.)

I think we should just let the Americans use their familiar terms. After all, there are a LOT of words we use here in the U.S. that you Aussies have different words for. If we look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad.

As far as its size goes, that purely down to genetics......what genes it gets from its parents. Even a runt in a clutch from show budgies can grow on suddenly at around 6-8 months and surprise you, so maybe too soon to be worried. But really you need to view parents and grandparents to see what its come from and even then it may still come out better than its parents if the pairing for breeding it was good.

Just because someone says they have "english" budgies like the breeder who sold you yours, does not mean they breed for show or to perfect or improve their stock. They may just think its a way to get more money for the babies and not be selecting for better bred babies.

question answered.

As far as terminology goes..........I say again common usage does not make it correct.

The position will always be defended by those that change the terminology.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Firstly, I personally do not believe anyone is jumping down anybodies throat. The forum is simply here to educate. In each country they try to lay claim to that which is not theirs and even to change that which it always has been. Although these are Australian birds we do not claim them to be "Australian budgies" etc. We don't go to an "Australian show" to show them or buy them as "Australian pets". Which is why it is non-sense to call them "American or English" as they don't take them to an "American show" ... The simple fact of the matter is that it is based on type. English and American are not types. They're names of places which they wish for it to be seen they come from. Just to differentiate between "show and pet. Keeping it as Show and Pet has been the way for many years. Although being native our country name does not come into the equation. They're what they're. Budgies. A name derived from aboriginal language to mean "good eating".

This forum is only here to educate on the terminology which although is not YET worldwide should be, with no claim lying to any country but only to the "type" of budgie they're. If they go to shows or are bred for shows they're show types... if they're smaller kept in aviaries as pets they're pet types. It makes things a whole lot easier than country names and should be a universally used term. The only way to get the information out there to those who're unable to be told the proper terms is to hand on the knowledge. That is all that is being done I believe.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Firstly, I personally do not believe anyone is jumping down anybodies throat. The forum is simply here to educate. In each country they try to lay claim to that which is not theirs and even to change that which it always has been. Although these are Australian birds we do not claim them to be "Australian budgies" etc. We don't go to an "Australian show" to show them or buy them as "Australian pets". Which is why it is non-sense to call them "American or English" as they don't take them to an "American show" ... The simple fact of the matter is that it is based on type. English and American are not types. They're names of places which they wish for it to be seen they come from. Just to differentiate between "show and pet. Keeping it as Show and Pet has been the way for many years. Although being native our country name does not come into the equation. They're what they're. Budgies. A name derived from aboriginal language to mean "good eating".

This forum is only here to educate on the terminology which although is not YET worldwide should be, with no claim lying to any country but only to the "type" of budgie they're. If they go to shows or are bred for shows they're show types... if they're smaller kept in aviaries as pets they're pet types. It makes things a whole lot easier than country names and should be a universally used term. The only way to get the information out there to those who're unable to be told the proper terms is to hand on the knowledge. That is all that is being done I believe.

all though im staying right out of what should be called what n whats right or wrong

that was very well put Libby :}

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

English budgie is what some people call the exhibition budgie coz mad poms spent all their time making them big and fluffy! Anything else is an American/Aussie/NZ/whatever else budgie!

• Member ID:  6,577
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  750

I agree with the first part of your statement nubbly5, but for the rest as far as I'm concerned, budgies are bloody Australian!!!:angry:

Don't know how any other country can begin to try to put their tag on our little birds.B)

Thats like saying an "australian macaw"

My beef, sorry!!:wacko:

Hezz

• Member ID:  4,610
  • Content Count:  714
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  3,640
  • Birthday:  09/12/1940

How would the Americans like it if another country claimed the golden eagle?

I have never heard anyone in England call the exhibition type budgies English

The only time we ever get objections about us insisting on correct terminology of the budgerigar is by Americans laying claim to the term parakeet and english budgies or english parakeets. I am sorry, but this is true. Since the budgerigar is an Australian bird no matter where in the world it resides, I think we have the right to insist on correct terminology for our native budgerigar or budgie.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

We call it one thing, others call it other things - gosh we do have a lot to worry about if this is what we are debating!!!!

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I am in agreement with Kaz and the others who are supporting the Show and Pet names.

Imagine the outrage that would have occurred if we renamed the "America's Cup" "Australia's Cup" in 1983 when we became the first country to take it off the Americans in 130+ years?

Imagine if we called all our animals at the zoo by their place of birth? I would love to go Taronga Zoo in Sydney and see the three baby Australian elephants. Wait, are they not Asian elephants? No, they were born in Australia, made popular to Aussie people in Australia, raised in Australia, therefore they are not Asian elephants, they are Australian elephants!

What about the Sydney Tiger Cubs? They are the cutest thing I have seen.

I went to Dubbo and saw a very young Australian Bison? Don't you mean American Bison? No no, this one was born and popularised in Australia, so it is an Australian Bison.

Dumb arguments I proposed above, about as dumb as calling them English and American Budgerigars. The idea is dumb here people, I am not personally insulting people so no one should be offended.

I agree we need to correct people when things were wrong. If we did not, then we would still believe that the Earth is the centre of the universe, the world is flat and many other ridiculous notions.

• Member ID:  6,577
  • Content Count:  133
  • Achievement Points:  750

My point exactly Neville and Dave_McMinn. Guess who would scream the loudest??

Lets stick to "pet" and "show" varieties and we will all know where we stand.

Hezz

• 5 months later...

• Member ID:  5,933
  • Content Count:  23
  • Achievement Points:  135

Guess I've been calling my birds by the wrong name, as well.:unsure:

I have two large "show " (cobolt blue and greyish blue) huge budgies that weigh about 60 gms. each, and the other 5 are smaller ones weighing about half that......."pet" budgies? (4 green variations and one violet pied).

:unsure::unsure:

Edited by eve

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

The bluish grey is probibly a mauve.

Great news! Say, Daz, could you reply to my post about my young adult female's beak turning black as when budgies are babies?

Great news! Say, Daz, could you reply to my post about my young adult female's beak turning black as when budgies are babies?

okay, after your response I looked at him more closely and noticed that he's also a pied. Good news, as well. That makes two male pieds I have ( one violet and one mauve). Two of the females are opalines (one blue-green; the other more green), and one female is a cinnamon green. And, just one little everyday green male, sweet as can be and more than little randy. :) The 4 green ones were all someone's babies before they were combined together......one female and the little green male are tame and respond wwell to humans. The little green male was also finger-tamed when I got him. I'm glad that I was able to give them a good home: large cage and good food.100_0352.jpgThe cage the four was in when I rehomed them was way too small (not even half the size of the top third of this cage). They could only climb or jump between the two horizontal perches. No flight area at all!

This picture was taken before I rehomed the two male show budgies in February this year. Of course, more toys and 6 swings, natural and rope perches replacing the wooden dowels, etc. have been added since this picture was taken.

Edited by eve

• Member ID:  6,337
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  507
  • Achievement Points:  3,360
  • Birthday:  22/09/1995

Thats a gret cage where did you get it.

Thats a gret cage where did you get it.

Thanks!

I got if from either Amazon.com or eBay. The store that was selling them had a bunch. I got mine for $149. It's actually a cage for rats or sugargliders..............there were 2 ladders from each section to the other for the rats to climb up. I just bought some perches to put in instead, and used one of the ladders as an extension across the cage in front of the cage from one wire perch on one side to the other wire perch on the other side. That's what the food dish I was using at the time is sitting on. The other wire ladder I used to widen the extension created by the first ladder extension across the front of the cage.. It's hard to see, but there is another perch where the second ladder goes up to the top section. I use that for a play station where the birds can rest their feet and where I put toys for them to play with, mirrors, etc. It's one of their favorite places to hang out...........there's almost always a group of 2-3 of them on it at a time. I think they just like the flat surfaces to stand on to rest their feet. They frequently just lay on their breast bone to rest their feet as well.

It's been pretty handy. I bought it also in case I had to separate a bird from the group and could divide it into the two top sections as one part, and the lower section as another part. Or, even a nesting area if I needed it, which I don't as I desperately keep them on a 12-hr day/night schedule to keep the breeding season from hitting (long days, short nights = winter).

YOu could google sugarglider cages and see what you come up with..........I haven't looked in a while.

thanks for asking.

Here's what the cage looked like when I ordered it17PCG003-B033-V06-A.jpg

Edited by eve

• Member ID:  6,360
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,030
  • Birthday:  14/05/1998

Cool

[Here one is now on eBay............a little different it looks like. Looks like it's gone up in price but free shipping.

I researched these cages quite a bit before settling on this one. As I look at this one and the others available, I remember now why I settled on this one I did.: Two large doors to allow cleaning both top/bottom levels. I could create two different cages, or even three, if necessary.

Large size to allow flight from side to side and back to front and wide enough to allow flight from lower levels to upper levels.

Big enough for a natural branch to be put in vertically for a natural perch. (Fig branch from my back yard.........very hard wood)

Mine has Food cups accessible from outside, including inside the doors, which gives multiple configurations for making food/water available. Looks like this one doesn't have the door feeder cup option, nor the ones in the front of the cage. Can't tell if they are accessible from the outside (which I think is very handy to keep the birds from getting excited when you change water/food. I think I had about nine altogether.

Good sized storage underneath.

Spacing of bars correct.

Has both a tray for litter, and a wire grate, which allows one to stay in while the other is out being cleaned.

It's extremely sturdy and easily assembled.

http://compare.ebay....var=lv&var=sbar

Gosh! Here's a double cage, but don't see any feeder openings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...B-/390293955754

At any rate, anyone shop on this site to find some very nice, but inexpensive cages, if you are careful.

http://compare.ebay....var=lv&var=sbar

And, here:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160629645184?var=lv&var=sbar

Edited by eve
  • 1 month later...

• Member ID:  6,546
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  18
  • Achievement Points:  150

I just bought a cage like that for my birds off eBay Aust.

One of my birds was sold to me as an English budgie, same price as the others though. He was called that because his head is all big and fluffy.