• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hey People,

Enjoying the forum immensely, and picking up some excellent info. Keep up the good work.

Got a 2 part question for the experts here, both associated with Dom Pied markings.

Q1. I have got 2 Dom pied chicks, from 2 different pairs and in both cases the chicks (now 4-5 months old) have bright orange beaks (same colour as you would expect a Rec Pied beak). Both of the Dom Pied parents in the respective pairs have "normal" coloured beaks. Thoughts ?

I thought it might be the pied markings extending up on the beak as one of the 2 chicks has only 1-2 spots, but the other has a load of spots and minimal chest markings. Is this something that changes with age ? Is it a fault with regards to judging ?

Q2. Of the 2 pied parents above, one has a normal tail. Still has Pied Flights and head spot, but no other pied markings. Her son is the pied mentioned above missing spots, but otherwise a nice pied band on his middle, clear flights BUT still has a normal unpied tail !

I know markings vary bird to bird, generation to generation, but are certain pied markings more variable than others ? A dark tail is a show fault, correct ?

Your comments appreciated.

• Member ID:  6,228
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  66
  • Achievement Points:  760

Hey People,

Enjoying the forum immensely, and picking up some excellent info. Keep up the good work.

Got a 2 part question for the experts here, both associated with Dom Pied markings.

Q1. I have got 2 Dom pied chicks, from 2 different pairs and in both cases the chicks (now 4-5 months old) have bright orange beaks (same colour as you would expect a Rec Pied beak). Both of the Dom Pied parents in the respective pairs have "normal" coloured beaks. Thoughts ?

I thought it might be the pied markings extending up on the beak as one of the 2 chicks has only 1-2 spots, but the other has a load of spots and minimal chest markings. Is this something that changes with age ? Is it a fault with regards to judging ?

Q2. Of the 2 pied parents above, one has a normal tail. Still has Pied Flights and head spot, but no other pied markings. Her son is the pied mentioned above missing spots, but otherwise a nice pied band on his middle, clear flights BUT still has a normal unpied tail !

I know markings vary bird to bird, generation to generation, but are certain pied markings more variable than others ? A dark tail is a show fault, correct ?

Your comments appreciated.

any photos?

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

not sure on the show side of things

orange beak - the pied gene affects all bird differently and for these two bird it might have removed some pigment from the beak area. Do they have pink legs?

2- the mother sounds like a Dutch pied - what was she paired with to get the offspring?

pictures would help

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Pied markings can actually also occur on the cere and beak. "pied out" beaks will be bright orange. Ceres on cocks might be pink as in ino's lacewings and recs or a combination of pink and blue in pied patches.

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

Just remember any mutation of budgie can have an orange beak as a baby. Developing beaks can be many colours but do solidify with age.

• Member ID:  5,196
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  24
  • Achievement Points:  240

Finally got around to helping my cause with some photos.

IMG_3799c.jpg

Here's him in the front, with his mum in the background. Note the differences in pied markings, but both have dark main tail feathers. The beak colour is the other thing. I'm not stressed about it, but just thought it a little strange.

The other pied (not pictured) has a fully set of spots and minimal markings, but still has the orange beak. Thats why I thought it may be an age thing, rather than a marking thing.....

IMG_3800a.jpg

Another angle of the tail feathers.

As for his colour, I've got him down as a violet sky rather than a cobalt. Happy to be corrected here as well.