Is It Possible To Determine The Age Of An Adult Budgie?

• Member ID:  6,015
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  205
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I am selling all of my budgies as I can no longer dedicate the time to them and I am wondering is it possible to determine an approx age of my hen? We bought her in Nov 2009 as an "adult budgie" but didnt even think to ask how old she was. We got her as a companion for our cock who we rescued as his owner had neglected him. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

She would be 2 yrs plus .......anything else would be too hard to guess at.

Thankyou! Thats about what I thought she might be. I have bred with her since Ive had her (3 clutches total), I was not planning on breeding with her anymore, do you think that would be the safe thing to do? Just that someone wants to buy a breeding pair, and want to make sure Ive got my facts straight first as I want to make sure she is looked after.

You can breed with her till she is 4 yrs old.

You can breed with her till she is 4 yrs old.

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest K&M Breeding

Unless they are banded or your own personal babies from breeding there is no way to guess an age once they hit a year old You can just assume she's an Adult actual age is unknown

there also is no specific age to stop breeding a bird, a bird can breed until its A) no longer fertile or B) dies of old age

I have very healthy 5 yr old budgies breeding and making very big healthy babies. BUT I only breed my birds 2 times a year If they have a lot of babies 1st clutch they get several months off before their 2nd clutch Even though I hand feed and pull at 3 weeks old. If they only have a couple babies then I'll let them have their second clutch right after they're first one is Pulled But mine all Wait about a month to a month and half before they start laying again and they do that on their own

Unless they are banded or your own personal babies from breeding there is no way to guess an age once they hit a year old You can just assume she's an Adult actual age is unknown

there also is no specific age to stop breeding a bird, a bird can breed until its A) no longer fertile or B) dies of old age

I have very healthy 5 yr old budgies breeding and making very big healthy babies. BUT I only breed my birds 2 times a year If they have a lot of babies 1st clutch they get several months off before their 2nd clutch Even though I hand feed and pull at 3 weeks old. If they only have a couple babies then I'll let them have their second clutch right after they're first one is Pulled But mine all Wait about a month to a month and half before they start laying again and they do that on their own

My breeding pair did the same when I first started out, had another clutch before the babies left the nest. After doing this twice I seperated the parents for a few months as mum looked like she needed a break!! The next time I bred them I managed to get the male out in time before they bred again. Im not an expert but I would never breed my birds until old age, It seems cruel.

based on a duty of care we have to employ here on this forum in particular to younger members we give the answer thats its best to stop breeding hens at age 4 years due to high incidence of eggbinding and or prolapse. Many younger member have to rely on Mums and dads who in a lot of cases wont take a bird to the vet if its in trouble. Hence the advice. However I also stop hens breeding at age 4 years for the very same reasons as do a lot of other people as well. :)

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  5,032
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  485
  • Birthday:  15/10/1983

Thats it Kaz,anyway by age 4 you wont need her/him to breed with anymore as your birds should have improved by your parings.

PS.. Whats the go with this warn status,ive noticed no one else has it and you guys have never used it..its been 2 years since i joined...rolleyes.gif

Corie.

Edited by corka

Thats it Kaz,anyway by age 4 you wont need her/him to breed with anymore as your birds should have improved by your parings.

PS.. Whats the go with this warn status,ive noticed no one else has it and you guys have never used it..its been 2 years since i joined...rolleyes.gif

Corie.

we have always had the warn status.................... only you see your own warn status. It applies to when we have trouble makers on the forum and they get a formal warning ( or two or three or four ) before we have to resort to banning them for outrageous behaviour on the forum. If nothing has happened to yours it just means you have behaved yourself well while here :D

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  5,032
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  485
  • Birthday:  15/10/1983

Corie.

we have always had the warn status.................... only you see your own warn status. It applies to when we have trouble makers on the forum and they get a formal warning ( or two or three or four ) before we have to resort to banning them for outrageous behaviour on the forum. If nothing has happened to yours it just means you have behaved yourself well while here :D

okay thanks Kaz...

Corie.