• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  465
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I thought she is a Double Factor Spangle but she hasn't come into season and her cere hasn't changed colour, at all. I got Ma (Double Factor Spangle) and Martha (Cobalt Violet Opaline) at the same time and they both have brown crusty ceres and have had chicks.

C3_20110124_4350.JPG

C3_20110124_4351.JPG

C3_20101105_SnowflakeAndBluey.JPG

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I can't help you with sexing, but a little off topic... I was reading your signature and I see you (or your girls) have rats. I too have rats. The most I've had at one time was 5 but am now down to two big squishy males, Doogie and Winston. They make wonderful pets too. I belong to a very informative rat forum if you're interested.

• Member ID:  5,828
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  265

I thought she is a Double Factor Spangle but she hasn't come into season and her cere hasn't changed colour, at all. I got Ma (Double Factor Spangle) and Martha (Cobalt Violet Opaline) at the same time and they both have brown crusty ceres and have had chicks.

ThiC3_20110124_4350.JPG

C3_20110124_4351.JPG

If this birds has red eyes instead of black i would say an Albino Cock. Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  6,391

If this birds has red eyes instead of black i would say an Albino Cock.

Hello - No red eyes. They are dark - not sure if plum or not as I can't tell the difference but as you can see has white around the eye. Many thanks

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

looks Albino and looks male you sure eyes not dark pink

i think brumbyracers right

and albinos do have iris rings

Edited by GenericBlue

Albino still get the white iris rings around the eyes. The only birds that don't are the Recessive Pieds, the dark eye clears and one variety of fallows(English) that to my knowledge are not here in australia but would be really interested to know if anybody does in fact have them here. Sometimes you need really good light to see the red in the eyes as they can still be quite dark and you say this birds could be a plum colour, The flesh coloured cere is also consistent with the red eye cock birds that don't get the normal blue ceres. Without actuslly seeing the bird in front of me i will stick with a Albino Cock.

If this birds has red eyes instead of black i would say an Albino Cock.

Hello - No red eyes. They are dark - not sure if plum or not as I can't tell the difference but as you can see has white around the eye. Many thanks

• Member ID:  6,228
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  66
  • Achievement Points:  760

I can't help you with sexing, but a little off topic... I was reading your signature and I see you (or your girls) have rats. I too have rats. The most I've had at one time was 5 but am now down to two big squishy males, Doogie and Winston. They make wonderful pets too. I belong to a very informative rat forum if you're interested.

I love rats too! I had two rats named alby and soxy. I love them

looks Albino and looks male you sure eyes not dark pink

i think brumbyracers right

and albinos do have iris rings

Now I am really worried thought perhaps I had taken photos of the wrong bird and got confused so hubbie and I went out to the Aviary this morning to check all four white birds. Snow is supposed to be the Albino male (he came with a white legring on him), Ma and Snowflake were 2 of 3 females I bought from the same aviary (I put a yellow legring on one left leg and a yellow leging on the others right leg - looks like Snowflake has lost the legring) and then baby is the fourth one. Photos of all below.

This is Snow the Albino male - I swear his eyes were red but today when we took photos he and Snowflake look exactly the same, except Adam reckons Snowflake has a colour to the cheek patches - both have eyes that aren't black but a darkish colour - could it be dark pink? Do Albino's eyes change colour through the season?

SNOW

C3_20110128_Snow_4442.JPG

C3_20110128_Snow_4449.JPG

C3_20110128_Snow_4452.JPG

SNOWFLAKE

C3_20110128_Snowflake_4430.JPG

C3_20110128_Snowflake_4433.JPG

C3_20110128_Snowflake_4434.JPG

C3_20110128_Snowflake_4436.JPG

MA (not a good photo but I definitely know that she is a she!!!)

Box128_20101005_MaAndTawa_1727.JPG

And this is her baby - boy, I presume? And a Double Factor Spangle male?

C3_20110128_B46x_4457.JPG

C3_20110128_B46x_4458.JPG

So there they all are together! Just when I thought I knew the obvious birds and what genetics they are - I am thrown a curve ball eh???

So what are your valued opinions please?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

C3_20110128_B46x_4457.JPG

C3_20110128_B46x_4458.JPG

No........female :)

Thanks Kaz - Guess the bluish cere threw me!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Thanks Kaz - Guess the bluish cere threw me!

any white on a cere, including if its with blue is female :)

• Member ID:  4,610
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  714
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  3,640
  • Birthday:  09/12/1940

C3_20110124_4350.JPG

C3_20110124_4351.JPG

Looks like an albino male to me too. I had one similar and his eyes were so dark that I couldn't see the red in them but he was proven by breeding to be albino

My daughters said yes please for the rat forum. Many thanks. I don't touch the rats myself - but the girls are right into them, walk around the house with the rats on their shoulders or sit on their bed reading with the rats running all over them! I got some mice for the girls younger brothers to look after but they weren't interested and I wasn't too keen and the girls too busy with rats so that didn't work out. One of my boys helps out with the rats though.

Looks like an albino male to me too. I had one similar and his eyes were so dark that I couldn't see the red in them but he was proven by breeding to be albino

Thanks for the confirmation Neville.

I have found photos of the original birds the day I bought them. I also had an Albino female but the rat got her earlier this year.

This is the photo of the albino female (1 year old) and Marvin as I bought them as a pair (If I had known genetics then I would have quite happily paired these two up!!!!!!!!!!)

20100630_Budgie18And19_1235.JPG

This is Snowflake and Ma when I bought them - also 1 year olds. The main problem being is the bird on the left is the now Albino male and the bird on the right (with deformed feet) is Ma, Double Factor spangle mum.

20100726_Budgie20And21_2xWhiteFemales_0981.JPG

So without knowing these birds histories - what genetics are these three white birds please? Sorry to keep going on about these white birds but I am confused as to when this Albino male came along. He had a brownish cere when I got them as you can see but in later photos I have he is definitely an Albino male as his cere is same as now. Are these birds younger than 1 year when I got them or is something wrong with the Albino's cere?

Many thanks

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

My daughters said yes please for the rat forum. Many thanks. I don't touch the rats myself - but the girls are right into them, walk around the house with the rats on their shoulders or sit on their bed reading with the rats running all over them! I got some mice for the girls younger brothers to look after but they weren't interested and I wasn't too keen and the girls too busy with rats so that didn't work out. One of my boys helps out with the rats though.

Sure thing... I'm not sure how old your girls are, but if they/you decide to join this forum, just be careful. They have heaps of information there, and are a great group of people... but are very passionate about their rats and everything to do with them. Some members have the habit of jumping down new (and existing) members throat when they don't think you're doing something right. A great forum, where I have learnt sooo much, but just tread carefully :D . If you do decide to join in the future, let me know you're user name and I'll try and look out for you. The forum is also pretty much based in the states... but there are also members from other parts of the world. This does mean that many things they refer to, like food and cages etc... can't be found here... but regardless of this, it's still good info. I've included another link, to a site which also has heaps of information. It's based in Australia, so it's a little closer to you, and they have an awesome health section and even have some stuff you can buy. Anyway... hope the girls like them...

FORUM:

Goosemoose

AUSSI SITE:

Dapper Rat

Edited by maesie

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

I have found photos of the original birds the day I bought them. I also had an Albino female but the rat got her earlier this year.

This is the photo of the albino female (1 year old) and Marvin as I bought them as a pair (If I had known genetics then I would have quite happily paired these two up!!!!!!!!!!)

This is Snowflake and Ma when I bought them - also 1 year olds. The main problem being is the bird on the left is the now Albino male and the bird on the right (with deformed feet) is Ma, Double Factor spangle mum.

So without knowing these birds histories - what genetics are these three white birds please? Sorry to keep going on about these white birds but I am confused as to when this Albino male came along. He had a brownish cere when I got them as you can see but in later photos I have he is definitely an Albino male as his cere is same as now. Are these birds younger than 1 year when I got them or is something wrong with the Albino's cere?

Many thanks

well as far as your white birds are

if this is defensively the bird that i said looks albino male

well its actually not a albino male as here its clearly a hen and a df spangle by looks as you first stared

second if this is so

then your hen is no good for breeding and not a baby in this new picture

so i can only say

i know your going to hate me but

please would it be possible to get new picture of this bird sitting about same distance as the picture above and also one with cere front on not bird upside down but facing us

???

and try get shot of her in light day light so can see eyes again just to make sure its not albino male and something weird going on lol

im thinking that the albino hen was a cock and maybe your df got eatten by a rat ????

Edited by GenericBlue

Many thanks

The Albino female here looks more like a cock if you say it was a year old when this picture was taken.

The 2 white birds in the second picture are both girls without a doubt. Maybe it was the DF hen you lost to the rat and the albino hen was always a cock. They are a little bit tricker to sex if you are unaware of the cere colour in this variety. If you look at the beak colour of the original picture you put up the beak is quite yellow. The same colour as the bird your saying is the albino hen and nothing like the other two hens

Edited by brumbyracer

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

This has been a very interesting read.

You asked about the genetics of the white birds a while back, and I just wanted to say, do you have any idea what their parents looked like? DF spangles and albinos mask what their real genes are. All you know is that they are all blue series. When you breed them, you will get some clues as to what genes they have. (Unless you put albino to albino, and then you just get all albinos. )

It does seem to me that you might have gotten your birds mixed up over the year that you've had them.

Also, when you got them, did you get any of their non-white siblings? That would also give you clues as to their genetics.

Have fun with them. :D