• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  130
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Guys.

I am starting to build my birdroom, and I need some feedback. I have to start from humble beginnings, there is a shed 10' x 7' already in place, though I need to clean/modify etc. Attached below is a floor plan. The interior will be insulated with either polystyrene or polyester batts and finished with hardboard and painted in non toxic washable eggshell paint. There's plenty of shady trees around the bird room, and it gets direct morning and midday sun, and partial afternoon sun.

aviaryfpcopy.jpg

I have a couple of questions I need feedback on.

Firstly design, does it look okay?

The internal flights are 3' x 5' and about 6' 5" tall. The window when opened would allow access to the external flight.

Should I keep these that tall, or should I divide them into 4 half height flights? Allowing the top two flights access to the external flights? So there would be 4 flights 3' x 5' x 3' 2.5" tall? Feedback would be great.

I plan on having 12 breeding cages, is that location okay? I could have the flights running each side of the birdroom instead and put the breeding cages in the middle of the back wall? That would mean relocating the front door to the middle of the birdroom which would be a pain in the butt.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Hi Matt, i am in the middle of making a new bird room, I was going to have a flight on one side 3ft x 10 ft but decided to have the room for breeding only. My shed is 10ftx10ft. 215cm high at the side walls and 254cm high at the peak of the gable. I have lined mine with builders foil and non structual pine. i am using bats on the wall and ceiling. You can have a look at mine in my post if you want, it is in the aviary section.

I personally think that the 21/2 foot high thing would be a pain. I also think 5ft is not long enough because the birds can't get into a good flight. I have one that long and I hardly use it because it is so short, I use it for my culls mainly.

But your plan looks quite good to me.

You will want more breeding cages in a year or to so maybe you should take that into consideration too. I would run the flights along the shed because it would keep the breed room shed walls cooler. But that's me

Someone else will give you better advice than me so good luck with it all.

• Member ID:  6,385

Hey Splat.

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about the side flights, it would definitely be better to have them run the length of the sides, I'll do that.

Not sure where to incorporate an indoor flight though, I could run it along the length of the back wall as one flight 3 x 10, but like you said, I may want the extra space for more breeding cages. (Which I probably will once I get settled into the fancy.) I guess with the outside flights, if I have the roof of the flights totally covered, as well as the rear wall and a strip a few feet high along the sides and front I can house my birds outside and bring them in the bird room for breeding. I can just make the outdoor flights covered enough for bad weather so the birds can stay out of the rain/wind/drafts??

Based on that, here is an alternative design. Do people prefer this to the above one?

aviaryfpcopy1.jpg

Edited by Matt G

Yes that looks much better, I think go for it.

My aviaries are out door but only have wire on the front. I do have one in between my 2 breeding rooms that I have now. I call it my baby aviary, it is very inclosed almost like an indoor aviary. But I am planning on making the end one into 2 3ftx10ft long aviaries and using my baby aviary for holding cages. (I think). But my breeding room is going to be all in one place. I think again lol.

Well Matt if you run them along the breed room and depending where the wire is going you can always run more along them one later, you know one minute you have 2 aviaries and the next a heap.lol. But seriously I have found the more enclosed the better because show birds don't like cold windy aviaries. But at the same time they need circulation especially in the summer.

In the winter my out door ones and also the baby aviary is covered in Clear PCV to keep the wind out. It is only open on the bottom for circulation.

Oh Matt for the height, I think taller the better.

Edited by splat

Sweet, thanks for that splat. Heaps of useful info indeed, and I will keep those external flights fairly enclosed, but open enough to allow for some decent ventilation without being drafty or cold. I think height wise they will be around 6' 5" as the main shed is near enough that height also.

Lots of work ahead, but the basis is there. Thanks for the tips Splat.

Cheers

Matt

Your welcome Matt, glad I could help. Hey what program did you use to design you birdroom and aviaries?

I just cheated Splat and logged onto homestyler.com (sorry if I can't post links, someone can edit it out), and they have a rather clunky floor plan online tool for houses you can use. I then just took a screen capture and edited text in via photoshop.

Cheers

Matt

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Like it a lot Matt. Just curious what are the 2 flights for? Are you having a Juvi and an Adults or separating Hens from Cocks?

Hey Jimmy,

I was thinking about keeping the Hens and Cocks separate, though not sure if this is good or bad. I guess I didn't want to have to worry about bonds forming and having to break them?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hey Jimmy,

I was thinking about keeping the Hens and Cocks separate, though not sure if this is good or bad. I guess I didn't want to have to worry about bonds forming and having to break them?

Put them all in together. Bonds are broken as fast as a male budgie winking at the girl budgies. Bonds are something pet breeders get tied up in knots over and show breeders know doesnt amount to much of anything at all :D

Hey Jimmy,

Put them all in together. Bonds are broken as fast as a male budgie winking at the girl budgies. Bonds are something pet breeders get tied up in knots over and show breeders know doesnt amount to much of anything at all :D

Excellent, will do Kaz thanks for that. Makes life a little easier.

Matt I run mine all together but before I put them down I seperate them 3 weeks before hand.

I put all cocks into together and hens together just so I know the hen hasn't been mated before hand.

Other people run them all together all the time but it is all up to you.

I have all old cock birds with young hens and all old hens with young cocks birds.