Sign in to follow this  
Finnie

Found This Out The Hard Way

I thought I'd put this on here so other people can learn from my mistake. :P

In the old format, if you clicked on a link, it opened it up in a new window, which you could close out of when you were done, and you'd still be on the same page where you started. Well, now, when you click on a link, you leave your page and go to the new page, and then to return, you hit the back arrow.

So you can guess what happened when I hit "Preview Post" to see how the post I was creating would look, and since I had put a link to another topic, I scrolled over it, and the link appeared to be active. So like a dummy, I clicked on it, and instead of getting a new window, it took me away from the post I was working on, to the new page.

And we all know what happens when you leave a post before you hit "add reply" Zip. Zilch. Nada. Gone into cyberspace.

Now, I realize that most of you are way more computer savvy than I am, and would probably never make this mistake. But maybe this will help somebody.:D

Oh, and my kids have told me before, if I'm worried about losing my whole post before I'm done, I should highlight the whole thing and copy it, so that if it vanishes, I can paste it back in. But that just seems so tedious, especially when I'm using the copy function to put in pictures and things. But I guess I should get in the habit of doing that if I'm going to do the preview. Our computer is really slow, and sometimes our connection is bad and we lose it, so that would probably be a good idea. Especially if I've put a lot of time into a post with a lot of pictures. (Our computer isn't the only think that's slow, around here!:rolleyes: )

You could also right click the link that you want to open and the option of 'open in new tab' or 'open in new window, so that's another option for you...

You could also right click the link that you want to open and the option of 'open in new tab' or 'open in new window, so that's another option for you...

Really? I did not know that! :bow: You are awesome!

(I bet everybody else but me already knew that. :blush: )

If you press the "Ctrl button" before clicking on a link, it opens in a new tab also :) I always press it

Edited by Squeak_Crumble

If you press the "Ctrl button" before clicking on a link, it opens in a new tab also :) I always press it

Thank you, Squeak, I didn't know that either. I am aware that for most of the things that you can point and click with the mouse, there is a keyboard only alternative way to do the same thing, but I don't know any of them.:rolleyes:

I do remember way back in the 80s learning Word Perfect in college, and we were supposed to memorize what all the F keys did, but after all these years, they mean nothing to me now.

Edited by Finnie

Hahahaha! Yes the F keys... Don't push Alt + F4, it closes the web browser....

Hahahaha! Yes the F keys... Don't push Alt + F4, it closes the web browser....

:rofl: I don't think I'm in any danger of pushing any F keys! :lol:

Hahaha! No worries I guess we'll start calling you "Innie" then :D

If you have typed a big post and you want to keep the copy function available for photos and links, I suggest you copy and paste the post onto a Word page. You can copy it again and paste it back into your post, if need be. :)

:blink: Had to sit and stare at this _or the longest time be_ore I understood what you meant!:rolleyes: Sheez, I am so slow on the uptake! My _amily is always telling me I have no sense o_ humor. That is de_initely not true, I just don't always get all o_ their jokes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We need a 'Thats Gold' emotion symbol, because that:

:blink: Had to sit and stare at this _or the longest time be_ore I understood what you meant!:rolleyes: Sheez, I am so slow on the uptake! My _amily is always telling me I have no sense o_ humor. That is de_initely not true, I just don't always get all o_ their jokes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

is GOLD!!!

HaHa! Thanks!

Speaking of emoticons, on my screen most of them show up as red x's, and some of them have word descriptions next to the x.

Does everybody else see them as x's, or as the real emoticons, or is it just my computer?

I disabled the Safe Eyes filter we have, but that didn't help, so the problem is not with safe eyes.

Nah it's since the new forum came up... I use Safari as my web browser instead of Microsoft Explorer and it show's most of them up as a '?' I think Adam was trying to get it sorted...

Yes, Adam was working on it. I just thought maybe they were fixed and everyone but me could see them!:lol:

In the old format, there were a lot of people's photos that came up as x's for me, but other people were saying what pretty pictures, so I knew it was just me. I was thinking this was related.

I'll just keep putting in the "x" emoticons, and hope that someday they will show up correctly. :D That will be quite funny if I guess wrong on some of them, and they end up looking out of place!:lol:

:grbud: :dbb1: :ausb: (Like these, I have no idea what they are!:rofl: )