• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  310
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

Just wanting some suggestions on the best option.

I currently have a hen who already had 5 chicks, all well fed and going great. She has just had her 6th chick hatch (6 from 6, so yay), but it still hadn't been fed all morning and when I just checked it was pushed off to the side and was still unfed and very cold and I actually thought it had died. I cradled it in my hands as I've done before, and as it warmed up, it recommenced wiggling and had tiny chirps for food. so thats a good thing, but here's my issue.

I didn't want to put it back in with her, if she's not feeding it, amongst 5 others, so my options are:

1/ Put it in with another pair, with 7 chicks already, but i've got concerns that they already have their hands full, they are great parents (for first timers). and I'm very confident it will get fed, but don't think it's a smart move to give them another mouth to feed.

2/ Put it in with another pair with no current chicks, but with eggs due to start hatching over the next few days? These are first timers too, so I'm don't know if she will be a good mum yet (she's red rung). Also would they feed it if they haven't hatched any?

3/ Get it fed from the pair with Chicks, then put it back in with its parents.

If the pair with eggs, had chicks the decision would be easy to put it in with them, but in this situation I'm unsure. All my other pairs have only just commenced laying, so I have no other options..

I have currently put it in with the 7 chicks to try and get it fed, but will move it based on the advice I get here.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Hi Snoopy,

I'm not really qualified to give advice about this. But I think I may have read somewhere that if the eggs are due to start hatching, you might be able to trick the mom into thinking the foster baby is her first hatchling. Someone with more experience will know whether this is true or not. How many eggs does that hen have anyway, would one more be a burden to her?

It sounds like it is okay for now with the 7 chick mom, and maybe once the first one hatches from the other mom, then it can go with her, if it can't go there yet.

But one thing I'm pretty sure of, if the parents have pushed it aside on purpose, and you put it back with them, they will push it out again. Either they know they have reached their limit, or they can just sense that something is wrong with it.

I'm really hoping you have good luck and lots of success with all these chicks and eggs!:D

• Member ID:  5,964
  • Group:  Site Members

Thanks for the quick reply:) . I thought I'd vaguely remembered reading something about soon to hatch eggs too, they would be the best option, as she only laid 4 eggs of which only two look fertile. i was thinking I could even transfer 1 or 2 from the large nest in with them also ??

I'll leave things as they are for now and wait for some more replys., I'll go and check again soon, to see if he's been fed yet.

Edited by Snoopy

If she only has two fertile eggs of her own, she may turn out to be a good option for fostering, IF she turns out to be a good mother, in the first place. I think I've heard that it's better to foster chicks after they hatch than to move eggs. Something to do with different hens incubating at different temperatures. But then I read where a lof of people move eggs around to other nests, so yeah, waiting for advice from more experienced people is a good idea. It sounds like you don't have to rush to decide just yet anyway.:)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I fostered a newly hatched baby into a nest with chicks due any day and its being fed. If you were to put it in with the nest of 7 then they are used to feed a different n formula and the baby may not get crop milk or what it needs.

I'd put it in the nest with eggs nearly due to hatch BUT feed it first yourself.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

I would also put it in the nest with eggs due to hatch. The problem is that as number 6 it is just too small and quiet to demand a share of food, so putting it in the nest of 7 will be worse. Your best bet is the nest with eggs due to hatch, make sure you feed it something to give it strength. Even if its just honey water or some very watery hand rearing solution. It needs enough energy to peep until it gets fed by the hen and this may require a few hand feeds before it kicks in.

Just had 2 babies hatch today, one in a fantastic nest and one with a first timer. First timer wasnt feeding the chick so I put it in the other nest and it got fed instantly, and from that nest I took a 4 day old and put it with the first time mum. Took a couple of hours but the older stronger chick was begging the whole time and she has now fed it whereas a new born may have gone quiet by now due to low energy and soon died.

Thanks so much for the advice. Well I took it from the nest of 7, and as mentioned it still hadn't been fed. So I gave him a feed as suggested with some watery hand rearing mix. He was a hungry little fella, so with me saying "settle down tiger, I'll fill you up" this little chick has earned the nickname Tiger. LOL.

Here's some photo's.

IMG_3581-1.jpg?t=1287815144

IMG_3586.jpg?t=1287815144

Well after this, I put him (I know it might be her) in the nest with eggs, and so far so good. Just checked again now, and he's going strong. doesn't appear to be well fed, but think she has given him some. I'll check again later tonight and if needed give him another top up before night fall.

Thanks for the great advice, much appreciated. Keep your fingers crossed now, that he'll make it.

Edited by Snoopy

Well just an update from yesterday.

I gave "Tiger" another top up, before bed as he didn't look really well fed still, but was still really fit and wriggly, then put him back in with the pair with eggs due...

Well I checked first thing this morning, hoping he was going strong and found not 1, not 2, but 3 happy, healthy wriggling little pinkies. Two of the eggs had hatched overnight.. All 3 were very well fed..

In the end a perfect outcome. Thanks for the help... :D :D :D :D biggrin.gif

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Good news !!!! :D

That's wonderful!:lol:

I hope you will be able to tell them apart later, since they will be so close in size. Or will his color be obvious once he feathers up?

It should be obvious when they feather up. But hey, they are the famous last words aren't they. LOL...

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Great result,

What does it matter if you can't pick it later, a healthy live chick is better than the alternative any day!! :rolleyes: