The Black Doctor

Sex & Colour/variety?

i think you should pair her to the sky dom pied cock bird myself or the cf1 Grey he will most prob be split Opaline i think

the sky will have cf1 blood

the sky blue spangle cock although small he will toss out some lovely direction that a **** picture by way of him

sky blue to me is best pairing regardless of bird the dom is lovely long and good direction in mask soft feather i say him for certain his pied marks are also good also prob / Opaline lets hope not cinn lol

he has what her head needs

in regards to your dark greeen and grey green birds they will produce albino and possibly lutio and beautiful Opalineing their very very nice :}

good luck

oh and can i say you will get violets as shes cobalt violet

also sky violets which is best for violet breeding :} in my experience and opinion unless you got a df violet :}

she has nice spots as does the cf1 grey he could be nice if you want more violet greys you could get visual violets from that pairing but may just get greys and cobalts skys depends on grey factor sorry that i dont know :{

Edited by GenericBlue

I agree with GB's pairings advice :)

Yep, tried to post the same but gave up after multiple timeouts and much work to do.

100% with GB!

i think that yf grey hen should be with either the Grey spangle or the flanagan grey also that blue is nice but the grey boys would give her the uplift she needs he is very nice boy but lacks for her the needed strength in his top head quills

i think anyways :}

Thanks GB. Although, she's already investigating the nesting box after 3 days. Is it too late to swap them around?

Don't swap them now.

I am assuming the pics you took are recent right? The reason I am asking is the colour of the hen's ceres. The YF Grey had a very dark brown cere, and the sky hen you said was almost ready had a dark tan cere. Hens should be put down to breed when their cere is starting to tan up, not when chocolate brown. That YF Grey hen is coming out of season, whilst the sky blue hen is at her prime, not approaching it.

Just something to remember.

Apologies for the size of the photos Dave - I'll have to go back and check my photo reduction settings.

Yes, they are recent photos. I thought you had to wait until the cere was dark brown (which has only just happened). I think I'll leave her in there and see how it goes.

I'll get the violet hen in the breeding box ASAP. Thanks for the advice.

Also, can any confirm the following regarding my first pair (dark green opaline cock x albino hen):

I believe the cock must be split cinnamon and the hen is masking grey and opaline. As it appears there are no dd dark factor babies (or I guess the grey greens could be?), would it be reasonable to conclude that the hen is also a DD dark factor, or is this too difficult to work out?

I assume all the cocks will be split albino and if I breed them to normal hens, any resulting hens would be albino. Also, the cinnamon baby must be a hen.

Is this correct?

Edited by The Black Doctor

Apologies for the size of the photos Dave - I'll have to go back and check my photo reduction settings.

No problem. If you resize them, we can change them back. Everyone prefers pics to links.

Yes, they are recent photos. I thought you had to wait until the cere was dark brown (which has only just happened). I think I'll leave her in there and see how it goes.

This is one of the big things that influence the success of breeding. Ideally we put our birds down when the hen's cere is tan and the cock's cere is bright blue. It does not always work out that way.

I'll get the violet hen in the breeding box ASAP. Thanks for the advice.

Also, can any confirm the following regarding my first pair (dark green opaline cock x albino hen):

I believe the cock must be split cinnamon and the hen is masking grey and opaline. As it appears there are no dd dark factor babies (or I guess the grey greens could be?), would it be reasonable to conclude that the hen is also a DD dark factor, or is this too difficult to work out?

To get a cinnamon, the cock must be split cinnamon. Correct.

To get greygreens, the hen mask be masking grey.

To get opaline males, the cock must be split opaline and the hen must be masking opaline. Correct.

I have forgotten the colour of the cock bird, but the only way to really determine dark factors that are nto clear is to breed the hen to a bird with no dark factors. Perhaps breeding the hen to a sky blue cock. I once bred a DF (white) Spangle to a sky blue opaline cock and got cobalt opaline cocks. Since the young were 3 cobalt young and 2 df spangle, I knew she had some dark factors, maybe 2 as she had no sky chicks, but it is still hard to say. Breeding her to a sky cock would help you develop a theory.

I assume all the cocks will be split albino and if I breed them to normal hens, any resulting hens would be albino. Also, the cinnamon baby must be a hen.

Is this correct?

The cocks are split Ino, not Albino. For example, if you breed them to a green hen (not split blue) you may get lutino hens, however if you breed one of the cocks to a sky blue hen, it is possible to get lutinos or albino hens. As I understand it, the Ino gene is independent of the colour gene, so you may get lutINO's or albINO's hens, depending on what colour genes are passed on and what hen the cock is bred to.

Dave - thanks for the EXCELLENT answers. That really assists me in understanding the genetics better.

Dave - thanks for the EXCELLENT answers. That really assists me in understanding the genetics better.

that is gret way to put it all dave

.about swapping cocks

no not in my veiw but may get chicks from both cocks if they have been mating and she lays with a week of swap you could just wait till next year or latter this year shes only 09 isnt she ?? so you dont upset her maybe being a beginner you want results not upsets :} and depends if she exepts new boy so maybe just wait chicks will be nice and he comes from large stock so its all good if thats the jm2 boy

Edited by GenericBlue

Is this correct?

The cocks are split Ino, not Albino. For example, if you breed them to a green hen (not split blue) you may get lutino hens, however if you breed one of the cocks to a sky blue hen, it is possible to get lutinos or albino hens. As I understand it, the Ino gene is independent of the colour gene, so you may get lutINO's or albINO's hens, depending on what colour genes are passed on and what hen the cock is bred to.

I just wanted to clarify one thing, if the cock is split to ino, you only get 50% ino hen chicks.

Also, if the albino mother is masking cinnamon, you could get a cinnamon male chick. (But I didn't go back to check, maybe you already know whether or not this albino hen is masking cinnamon?)

Guest K&M Breeding

I know this is an old thread but wanted to comment on the beautiful babies your pair gave you

also wanted to say an Albino doesn't mask Cinnamon (found this out the other day) a Albino can have cinnamon but it'll show through making the Albino a Lacewing(same for lutino) Albinos can mask Opaline( i have 2 that do) along with other mutations

and You are correct any males you get from this pair will be split to ino and all the birds(boys and girls) will be split to Blue as well - Albino is Blue series so when put with a non blue series that makes all of them split to blue. and since you have a cinnamon female most likely unless you see brown on your Albino Mom- your male is split for it as will any males from this pairing be split to cinnamon

Okay - I've been very busy and have had computer problems, but finally found some time to get back on here and catch up with all the happenings.

So, just to refresh: the dark green opaline cock and the albino hen's first round resulted in 2 grey greens, a dark green and a cinnamon grey green - all opaline. Here's some photos:

SaltSugar.jpg

Salt1.jpg

Salt.jpg

Butter.jpg

Sugar.jpg

The same pair have since had another round, which resulted in 3 grey greens and 3 dark greens - all opaline. Here are some photos:

tn_IMG_0509.jpg

tn_IMG_0508.jpg

tn_IMG_0518.jpg

I therefore believe the cock must be split cinnamon and the hen is masking grey and opaline. As it appears there are no dd dark factor babies (or I guess the grey greens could be?), would it be reasonable to conclude that the hen is also a DD dark factor, or is this too difficult to work out?

Is this correct?

Edited by K&M Breeding