Joachim

Help With Maiden Hen

This is my first time ever breeding budgies and I was hoping I could get a little help. Neither the male, 1 and a bit years old, or the female, 2 and a bit years old have ever bred before. I've seen them mating twice and a few days ago the hen layed one egg and then another the next day. She started incubating full time in the box after the first egg and now after four days without an egg I think she's stopped at two. Neither of the eggs appear fertile (they're sort of pale and almost opaque, not glossy or white) but I have not candled them.

However, my concern is that the hen seems to have dropped to half her size, she's normally quite fat. She appears not to be eating on her own, rather allowing the male to take over feeding entirely, which he seems to do a good job of. They get dry seed, soaked seed, fresh grass seed and have plenty of water all the time. I'd just like to know if I should be concerned about this and if there is anything I can do in this situation.

Thanks in advance,

Joachim.

Too soon to be noticing a change in colour of the egg indicating fertile or not :)

Put food in the nestbox for the hen.....millet sprays, pour seed in there if you have to...........make sure she can eat while she sits. Nothing messy, no containers.

Lift her up and check her butt in case she is sick or eggbound.

Edited by KAZ

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I didn't think to put seed in the box, I'll do that first thing tomorrow. I'll also try and give her a bit of a check up tomorrow if she'll put up with me for long enough she's a really grumpy bird!

Thanks for the suggestions :blink:

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I didn't think to put seed in the box, I'll do that first thing tomorrow. I'll also try and give her a bit of a check up tomorrow if she'll put up with me for long enough she's a really grumpy bird!

Thanks for the suggestions :blink:

if shes egg bound tomorrow could be to late

I don't think she is eggbound, she appears to be breathing normal, her droppings are regular and there is no swelling. I'm just concerned that she has become so thin over the space of a week.

I don't think she is eggbound, she appears to be breathing normal, her droppings are regular and there is no swelling. I'm just concerned that she has become so thin over the space of a week.

okay well what seed are you using budgies eat alot of the smaller seeds at breeding time why a variety of seeds is great i know your giving a veryed diet but some times birds are fussy around breeding time

It's just a regular budgie mix I'm pretty sure, mostly millet, nothing too big and also the grass seeds. But the female seems very ungrateful whenever the male feeds her, he regurigitates to her and as soon as he's done she screams at him to go away.