• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  325
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/02/1993

Okay, well, I have a big aviary in my house, it neatly accommodates 6 budgies, two lovebirds, (One who thinks hes a budgie) 3 Cockatiels and 5 Zebra Finches, Yes, I know, its a weird combination but everything works out, It's been nearly a year without a single injury to any animal, anyways, I want to put a nice tree that's about 6/7 feet high in it, see, my budgies and one of my lovebirds love to chew things up, and my cockatiels and finchies like to play with tree leaves, so i figured it'd be cool to have one in there.

My question to you: Whats a good tree/plant that will do well with the constant chewing? I don't mind having to replace it ever so often, also, keep in mind that during the day they're usually flying around out side of the cage so the chewing wont be as much during that period.

I was thinking a nice big eucalyptus tree, but I don't know if I can get those that big where I live (Florida).

Anyways, any information anyone can provide such as experiences with certain plants would be great.

• Member ID:  4,558
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  685
  • Birthday:  27/10/1972

Okay, well, I have a big aviary in my house, it neatly accommodates 6 budgies, two lovebirds, (One who thinks hes a budgie) 3 Cockatiels and 5 Zebra Finches, Yes, I know, its a weird combination but everything works out, It's been nearly a year without a single injury to any animal, anyways, I want to put a nice tree that's about 6/7 feet high in it, see, my budgies and one of my lovebirds love to chew things up, and my cockatiels and finchies like to play with tree leaves, so i figured it'd be cool to have one in there.

My question to you: Whats a good tree/plant that will do well with the constant chewing? I don't mind having to replace it ever so often, also, keep in mind that during the day they're usually flying around out side of the cage so the chewing wont be as much during that period.

I was thinking a nice big eucalyptus tree, but I don't know if I can get those that big where I live (Florida).

Anyways, any information anyone can provide such as experiences with certain plants would be great.

Hi Sean,

As you say parrots love to chew anything they can get their beaks on. Personally i think your best bet will be instead of trying to get a tree to survive in your aviary (especially with parrots)i would consider gathering some Eucalypt branches with the leaves on it (obviously) and place them in the aviary which means as they get destroyed you can replace them with fresh ones. Eucalypt trees in pots don't last a long time, they need to be planted. With the stress of being stripped bare of leaves (which won't take long) they may not survive unless you can remove it and allow it time to recover but after a few rounds of this it will die. Maybe don on some hiking boots and see what you can find (with premission from your ranger, if you don't want a fine) or maybe a friend has Eucalypt growing in their garden and you can offer to "prune" the tree for them. Anyway good luck!!!

Lib

• Member ID:  5,873

Here in florida, at least where I live, not many people grow much of anything at all, infact, no one does.. I was using Eucalyptus as an example, is there any other plants that you can recommend would be better?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Sean a plant or tree will last maximum two days before being stripped down to bare sticks. Best you check the list of safe plants and find something suitable and add fresh branches occasionally for their enjoyment and replace them on a constant basis.

I had a fully planted out aviary once. The budgies went in and it took them a week to decimate and destroy fully well established palms and trees and plants. They had that aviary down to bare bones in no time flat.

No plants survive budgies or any other similar birds.

Go for adding safe branches every now and then.....remove when destroyed and replace again.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,873

KAZ, I think you're absolutely right. Hearing it from someone else just makes so much sense, a plant really would have no chance at all.. Hmm.. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I think I'll go ahead and buy a nice eucalyptus tree and try to plant it, if I'm successful with that, I'll be able to trim the branches for my birds.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

See if you can get hibiscus branches.........they like them too and they are safe and may also be accessible to you where you are. Make sure no pesticides have been sprayed on them.