• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  35
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I hate to start my first post this way, but I am frantic.

I've had my young 3 to 5 month old budgies for about 4 weeks now. They have been doing great, till this morning. On Tuesday evening, late, an aquaintence came over with her son and wanted to finger hold the budgies. I saw no harm in that. Afterwards, she tells me they have been "playing" with fire belly frogs, letting them crawl all over their hands. They held my birds without washing their hands. On Friday morning both my birds were on the bottom of the cage, feather's ruffled, sneezing, very sick, lathargic and didn't resist my picking them up. My vet doesn't treat birds and the nearest one she suggested lives an hours drive away and I don't have an account with him.

I am a college student on grants and loans, so a new vet is impossible at the moment. It may not have been the frogs, but I don't know. I keep the air conditioner on 75 so it doesn't get to cold, they are not in a draft, but the fan was on in the living room all night, but their cage was wrapped with two folded sheets. I did let them sit in the window sill Monday and Tuesday for an hour or so, but it was 90some degrees outside and humid. They loved hearing and seeing the other birds.

Anyway, I've been keeping them warm with little bottles of hot water in socks, kept most of the cage covered with a sheet, and have been very quiet today.

I have Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg from the vet that was for my dog (who had to be put to sleep due to cancer two months ago). If I dilute this in 8 oz of water and use an eyedroper to give it to my birds, will it help? Do I have a chance of saving my new little budgies? I don't want to loose them.

• Member ID:  6,185
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  43
  • Achievement Points:  230
  • Birthday:  06/01/1958

I hate to start my first post this way, but I am frantic.

I've had my young 3 to 5 month old budgies for about 4 weeks now. They have been doing great, till this morning. On Tuesday evening, late, an aquaintence came over with her son and wanted to finger hold the budgies. I saw no harm in that. Afterwards, she tells me they have been "playing" with fire belly frogs, letting them crawl all over their hands. They held my birds without washing their hands. On Friday morning both my birds were on the bottom of the cage, feather's ruffled, sneezing, very sick, lathargic and didn't resist my picking them up. My vet doesn't treat birds and the nearest one she suggested lives an hours drive away and I don't have an account with him.

I am a college student on grants and loans, so a new vet is impossible at the moment. It may not have been the frogs, but I don't know. I keep the air conditioner on 75 so it doesn't get to cold, they are not in a draft, but the fan was on in the living room all night, but their cage was wrapped with two folded sheets. I did let them sit in the window sill Monday and Tuesday for an hour or so, but it was 90some degrees outside and humid. They loved hearing and seeing the other birds.

Anyway, I've been keeping them warm with little bottles of hot water in socks, kept most of the cage covered with a sheet, and have been very quiet today.

I have Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg from the vet that was for my dog (who had to be put to sleep due to cancer two months ago). If I dilute this in 8 oz of water and use an eyedroper to give it to my birds, will it help? Do I have a chance of saving my new little budgies? I don't want to loose them.

Do these frogs excrete a toxin?

• Member ID:  5,628
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  1,283
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,095
  • Birthday:  26/03/1998

Sorry you have to start your first post this way. Don't put ANYTHING in their water unless you have experience with it or your vet gives the okay. The frogs could well be the cause but I'm not so sure. Put them in a smaller cage with a heat lamp, water and food. Budgies don't get this way until they are about to die so I'd put them in the car and drive as fast as you can to the nearest avian vet!!!! You can work out a payment plan with the vet afterwards. Unless you get to an avian vet, your chances of saving them are VERY slim and even then it might be hard to save them. The longer you wait, the less time you have.

• Member ID:  6,234

Do these frogs excrete a toxin?
From what the internet says, The salts on our skin will hurt your toad and can be fatal. <LI>Their oils are slightly toxic and can cause a rash. <LI>Fire bellied toads are known to become extremely excited when touched by a human. They are not meant to be touched. <LI>Only handle the toad when cleaning the tank. Use latex gloves to take it out and put it in a moist container.
Sorry you have to start your first post this way. Don't put ANYTHING in their water unless you have experience with it or your vet gives the okay. The frogs could well be the cause but I'm not so sure. Put them in a smaller cage with a heat lamp, water and food. Budgies don't get this way until they are about to die so I'd put them in the car and drive as fast as you can to the nearest avian vet!!!! You can work out a payment plan with the vet afterwards. Unless you get to an avian vet, your chances of saving them are VERY slim and even then it might be hard to save them. The longer you wait, the less time you have.
I am sorry, but thought it would be understood. I don't have a car that will go to a vet in columbus - i could get to the vet here, but not that far away. and even if i could get there, I can't pay them.

I read on the internet that Bird Biotic (Doxycycline Hyclate) 100mg (100 Capsules)is used for the control of non-specific systemic and local bacterial infections in pet birds, exotic gamebirds or racing pigeons. Directions for use: Add the contents of one capsule (100 mg) to 8 ounces of drinking water. Make a fresh solution daily. Continue for 7-10 days.

If my birds have a bacterial infection, then would the Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg that the vet gave to my dog be the same compound?

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

PLease don't use any medication that is not intended for birds.I'm sorry I don't have enough experience to advise you what to do in this situation, but I would not give any meds at this stage.If you have a lamp with a normal globe you need to bring them indoors if they are not already and turn the lamp on close to the cage (without the shade) cover them on all sides except where the lamp is and keep it quiet....Make sure they have seed and water.A more experienced member will be on at some stage today and advise with more knowledge..Good luck mate... :blink:

Sorry just read that you can use the meds for birds, but don't self diagnose for now....

Edited by anne101

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Well it seems you wont be able to get these birds to a vet. If what you read about the meds is correct, ( and I have looked it up too ) I would then take that chance rather than nothing. I say go for it, as well as the warmth.

If the issue is something other than poisoning from the frogs you might see a result. If its poisoning from the frogs there is likely nothing you can do.

http://www.healthypets.com/bibidhy101ta.html

Edited by KAZ

Well it seems you wont be able to get these birds to a vet. If what you read about the meds is correct, ( and I have looked it up too ) I would then take that chance rather than nothing. I say go for it, as well as the warmth.

If the issue is something other than poisoning from the frogs you might see a result. If its poisoning from the frogs there is likely nothing you can do.

I am going to do what it said to do, seems as if there is no other choice. Hope something is on my side. I do love my budgies so. I just wish I knew how much of that compound they need to ingest per day, so i could make sure they do. will let you know what the out come is in a week or so. sigh.......................

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

I am going to do what it said to do, seems as if there is no other choice. Hope something is on my side. I do love my budgies so. I just wish I knew how much of that compound they need to ingest per day, so i could make sure they do. will let you know what the out come is in a week or so. sigh.......................

if your going to try the doxiline then drip the mixed solution on to top of beak let it roll in have you tried to give salt warm water to get rid of any toxins the frogs may of given off onto the boys hands and transferred to birds the salt will help travel through body quick maybe save them

but thats just a thing i would try from my knowledge not actually a promised treatment so but id try anything that being one thing doxline m yea second thing nbut also last resort

Edited by GenericBlue

A sick budgie update. I did start the doxiline last night, with an eye dropper and mixed it in their water as the doxiline website directed. They are still alive, not as lathargic, ate seed and brocolli this morning. They are chirping some to bird songs off of youtube. The bluest birds dropping was black with a smidge of white and a bit wetter than usual.

Should I still try salt water? If so, how much salt to water mixture?

I am off to buy more seed sprays this morning and new Eco bedding.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Good to hear they are felling better. Fingers crossed for ongoing improvement :angry:

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

well if the docxiline working

i guess not and

as for salt water it just flushes system out for a day

i just use a tea soon in half cup then just seringe a bit down beak

not much but i would say dont stress them any more with it

if they seeming better

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

How are you budgies doing?

• 2 years later...

Three years later and my little blue budgie is well and singing. The doxycycline hyclate worked. Sorry for the late update.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Wow, that WAS a long time waiting for an answer l.o.l. !!

glad it worked and even though it's an old post someone in trouble with their bird may benefit from it.