014-31.jpg

019-26.jpg

022-26.jpg

the scab has finally fallen off her head. This is how she looks today

060-12.jpg

083-8.jpg

044-18.jpg

oh kaz the poor gal looks like a burns victim

are you going to need to pay extra atention to the eye area as in so it doesnt infect or do you think it will be fine

shes sure trooper isnt she

poor darl

well done on giving her the chance to savior her life i know many would not

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

She's a real mess :blink: But she is lively and doing fine. She has sight in both eyes. Time will tell if there is any more feather regrowth. I doubt it but you never know.

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

Agree with GB, those eye lids are compromised. Can she blink? If anything they pose the greatest problem at the moment, wonder if they'll get any better. Good to see she's still trucking along :blink:

Agree with GB, those eye lids are compromised. Can she blink? If anything they pose the greatest problem at the moment, wonder if they'll get any better. Good to see she's still trucking along :blink:

she doesnt seem to have eyelids at all

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  6,245
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  10
  • Birthday:  25/02/1966

Euthanasia.............a topic never spoken about on forum in case we cop some abusive or volatile comments. We speak about it behind scenes if we have to. We all face it and we never put it on forum due to possible upsets we may cause.

G'day all. I'm new to the forum. Been breeding budgies since June, mostly successful but have had a few young ones die of crop disorders. We've also had to euthanise two dear little ones with splayed legs that failed to improve with the sponge splint treatment described in another forum. Have looked at suggestions for euthanasia, I personally feel any method that takes longer than a second is too long. I now use a sharp pair of first aid trauma scissors to decapitate, takes less than a second. A bucket is needed. It's very difficult to do, definitely brings tears to your eyes! But there's very little trauma to the bird particularly when done at night. I feel it's the right thing to do when nothing else can be done. Cheers, Craig.

Edited by KAZ
  • 2 months later...

• Member ID:  5,923
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  48
  • Achievement Points:  402

Oh my goodness I have just found this topic, & I am SO very very grateful to you Kaz! Why does it seem to happen to the lovely ones :( - so very sorry for you!

We have had to deal with this on the odd occasion over the years, & other than some pretty brutal & callous advice, I have never found anyone brave enough to discuss other more humane options when you do not have quick access to a vet, & you just know their suffering must end immediately. Being brought up on a farm originally, we were well used to having to make humane decisions & "do the right thing" in the best interests of a desperately ill or injured animal, & it is wonderful to see someone with the courage to share this. This has always tormented me, so I can't tell you how much it means to us that you posted this. Sincere thanks to you.

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

I checked my avairy this morning (5.30am) and found one of my old hens on the aviary floor breathing rapidly with what seemed to be a tumur that had burst in the vent area, she was in a very bad way.....

When I first read this post I thought I could never do it, that I would always take my birds that need euthanasia to the Vet as I have always done..... but when I saw my old girl and the Vet was hours away from opening I knew what I had to do.

I wrapped my girl in a facewasher with her head out and I did it your way Kaz, it was very peacful and quick, I was worried that she would struggle but she didn't.....

Thank You Kaz for giving me the knowledge to send my girl to heaven in a very calm and peaceful way.....

RIP sweet Gracie girl ... :( Love you long time......

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  6,317
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  905
  • Birthday:  29/09/1987

awhile ago when i had those terrible problems with rats some of you may remember i found a hen the next morning who hadnt died from the initial attack by the rats but was pretty badly injured i used your method kaz and she passed quickly and painlessly. its not a joy doing thses things but when it has to be done its good to know theres a way i can do it that doesnt involve anything grissly or distressful for the bird or myself

Edited by kochy23
  • 3 months later...

• Member ID:  6,947
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,625
  • Birthday:  16/04/1998

poor birds...... how does it happen though?

poor birds...... how does it happen though?

This is a topic about many things......

how does it happen though?
so how does WHAT happen ? :blink:

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I have use this method for a while now and it is much easier than others but I did have a set back on a chick this year, after doing this method I put it's lifeless body in the pin and a couple of hours later went to the bin and here was this chick sitting up looking at me, god I just felt terrible and had to grow through the whole ideal all over again.

I was telling a fella breeder about it and they suggested another way that would be much easier for me and I am not personally suffocating them myself.

Method..

small bucket like, or small container with a a tight fitting lid, cut a hole in the side or the lid to fit the exhaust pipe of your car, I know it sounds horrible but it is quick and easy. (I haven't tried it yet because I friend has offered me cloraform (how ever it is spelt). but it is dangerous even for me.

any way put bird in bucket close lid and keep hole taped over until it is fitted to exhaust pipe and then fit to exhaust , turn car on and buy the time you turn the car on and walk back to the exhaust the bird is dead, peacefully.

Many birds have died accidently from exhaust fumes when travelling.

Now I know this sounds an awful way of doing it and I have not done it myself yet but it does sound a quick and easy way to do it.

The easiest way I have found to kill a bird is crop needling, takes a second but by accident. I know, I have killed some of my best birds , I hate crop needling now totally, always scared I will kill them.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

I have use this method for a while now and it is much easier than others but I did have a set back on a chick this year, after doing this method I put it's lifeless body in the pin and a couple of hours later went to the bin and here was this chick sitting up looking at me, god I just felt terrible and had to grow through the whole ideal all over again.

I was telling a fella breeder about it and they suggested another way that would be much easier for me and I am not personally suffocating them myself.

Method..

small bucket like, or small container with a a tight fitting lid, cut a hole in the side or the lid to fit the exhaust pipe of your car, I know it sounds horrible but it is quick and easy. (I haven't tried it yet because I friend has offered me cloraform (how ever it is spelt). but it is dangerous even for me.

any way put bird in bucket close lid and keep hole taped over until it is fitted to exhaust pipe and then fit to exhaust , turn car on and buy the time you turn the car on and walk back to the exhaust the bird is dead, peacefully.

Many birds have died accidently from exhaust fumes when travelling.

Now I know this sounds an awful way of doing it and I have not done it myself yet but it does sound a quick and easy way to do it.

The easiest way I have found to kill a bird is crop needling, takes a second but by accident. I know, I have killed some of my best birds , I hate crop needling now totally, always scared I will kill them.

I have to say that the exhaust fumes is my way of sending my birds to God. Mainly because I just can't do it myself so it falls to my hubby to do it. We have an old sock and the bird goes straight in and then onto the exhaust pipe. Very quick.

I killed one of my best chicks a few years ago with the crop needle ... practice is the best way of avoiding repeating that, you do get to know how to feel for the crop opening and not shove the crop needle down into the lungs.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Gee I thought I would cop a lot of slack over saying the exhaust fume way but I haven't that's good.

what so an old sock works too.

I know how to feel the needle go down Renee but I don't know sometimes it doesn't work. I still crop needle after killing the white boy but I drowned him with to much fluid or he went into shock one or the other, it was probably the lemon juice that was in the water.

I was crop needling the young hen that just died and I didn't kill her so I will continue but I still hate doing it.

• 10 months later...

• Member ID:  7,395
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  67
  • Achievement Points:  515
  • Birthday:  29/01/1981

Thankyou greatly for having this discussion. I plan to build an aviary and start breeding budgies by early next year (I currently have just 5 pets). As I believe in doing thing properly I have been doing HEAPS of reasearch via this site on aviary construction, diet, health etc. Only yesterday I was speaking to my vet (he is my dog vet but also works with birds) and he said he would euthanise any birds for me if I needed it for a nominal price - no consultation charge, just the cost of the euthanasia product. But as my vet is over 30 minutes from my home, I knew there would be a time where I would need to do the job myself. Being new to my club, I was unsure if it was appropriate to ask this question. So THANKYOU. This is responsible and if people don't realise that this is a reality of breeding large numbers of animals, then they should not attempt to do this and should opt for pet ownership instead. I feel so much more confident now in starting up my breeding program. :thankyou:

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  7,482
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2,910

Thats why miners used to use canaries in the mine shaft, if the bird dies down there it was there warning signal of carbon dioxide leaks.

the car method would be the easiest and most safest way. I have drowned mice and they take ages to die that way, would imagine it would be like suffocating a poor budgie.

So when the time comes I know what I will use thanks who ever suggested car fumes.

• 7 years later...

• Member ID:  8,915
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  9
  • Achievement Points:  55

I so appreciate this. It is absolutely heartbreaking when you have to but sometimes it's the most humane thing to do. Better people be frustrated that it's being discussed than others accidently doing awful things to their birds.