• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  130
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi there,

We got our baby budgie last Sunday, I'm a complete novice to this but so far Percy is doing great! I have been doing a lot of reading on this website but there is a LOT of info here and while that's great, I'm such a novice that it's making my head spin at times.

I normally burn incense in my house but haven't since the bird arrived, is this safe to use still? I don't want to use anything that may harm.

I've heard a lot of people talk about giving their budgies 'baths', either via a small container of water in the bottom of the cage or via a spray bottle. When should I implement something along these lines and how do I go about it? Do I spray the budgie with water? Do I avoid his head? How often do I do this and how many sprays do I do for example...don't want to drown the poor bird when 1 spray of the bottle is enough.

Thirdly, he's pooping like he should be but his vent area is a bit messy, is this normal? All his other behaviours etc are perfect, he just is a tad messy. Should I be leaving him to clean it up himself or should I be assisting? We are slowly getting him used to my hand changing food etc over in the cage and when he's really settled, I give him a belly rub through the bars of the cage etc I just don't think he's quite at the point where I want to undo all our hard work by hauling him out of the cage and cleaning around his vent.

I would love any advice that you can give :D .

• Member ID:  6,180
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0

okay, I found the answer on Incense and Scented Candles (there goes my ultimate habit that I spend up large in the US on). lol

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Owning an indoors budgie means no scented candles or incense at all.

Best bathing is a fine mist from a spray bottle although many a budgie loves to roll through a large wet lettuce leaf or silver beet leaf. :D

Messy poop is a sign of not being well. You need to figure out the causes for that. Stress, diet, illness. More info and we can help :D

Edited by KAZ

Thanks Kaz, the poop is fine and is in accordance with the 'healthy poop' guidelines I see on here. lol It's more staining a few of his feathers around his vent then anything. He has seed on offer and I put some veges into his cage in the morning and remove whats left early afternoon, thus far he's had grated carrot, broccoli (which he seems to adore), red capsicum and a small amount of apple. I've only offered veges that I've read on this forum as being safe.

He (still unsure but have struggled to get a decent picture of his ceres) seems to be a happy wee bird, chirps away, plays, eats and responds to us when we talk to him. I really hope he isn't getting sick!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Be extremely careful of broccoli. There is evidence lately that any broccoli bought in supermarkets and no0t grown yourself carries additive chemicals that cause serious health issues with birds.

Red capsicum is great especially for vit A ...good for feathers.

Edited by KAZ

Be extremely careful of broccoli. There is evidence lately that any broccoli bought in supermarkets and no0t grown yourself carries additive chemicals that cause serious health issues with birds.

Red capsicum is great especially for vit A ...good for feathers.

Thanks, that's really handy to know! Most if not all of our veges are organic so hopefully won't be too much of a problem. I'll certainly start limiting his intake of it though. We eat a ton of fruit and vege so there is always a supply of good fresh stuff in the house. I'm not sure my daughter was too impressed this morning when I shaved a few extra bits off her carrot for the bird. lol