**Liv**

2010 Breeding Journal

Today 007 and I have turned the breeding room back into a breeding room as it was a temporary aviary for the last few months. It has been great with the winter weather, being able to close off the cold and wet, and open it up in the nice weather.

We have set up 18 cages, with 18 pairs. Most of which are Western Australian Bloodlines. We always get teased at the club about having so many WA birds - i am sure they are jealous really :D

Hopefully we will have lots of good results to post here :)

Looking forward to following this thread Liv

All the best of luck

Today 007 and I have turned the breeding room back into a breeding room as it was a temporary aviary for the last few months. It has been great with the winter weather, being able to close off the cold and wet, and open it up in the nice weather.

We have set up 18 cages, with 18 pairs. Most of which are Western Australian Bloodlines. We always get teased at the club about having so many WA birds - i am sure they are jealous really :D

Hopefully we will have lots of good results to post here :)

18 pairs: -

The Main ones of interest are

11 Gary Armstrong

3 Gina House

1 Jeff Lloyd

5 Steve Elliot

1 Kakosckhe

There are a few other less notables, but we paired them with 5 of ours we have bred, mainly from Armstrong, Jeff Lloyd, Steve Elliot, and the late Len Cowley birds.

Interesting pairs (ours) - Armstrong x to Armstrong

- WA breeder to Gina House

- Jeff Lloyd/Steve Elliot to Steve Elliot

- Armstrong x to Armstrong

We have bred two sisters to 2 cross Armstrong brother and sister.

Of Note our 12th position (DF YF Spangle) in the 2010 Nationals is half (or more) Armstrong and is going down with a new Armstrong Cock bird.

So we SA breeders look at breeding some wonderful WA line birds that we can, tongue in cheek call SA's.

Am wondering if we should move to WA and live there ...

Brilliant :D You might have to request some W.A. auction catalogues sometime soon then :)

Brilliant :D You might have to request some W.A. auction catalogues sometime soon then :)

I agree - buying or selling?

We always get teased at the club about having so many WA birds - i am sure they are jealous really :)

Yes.... :P No need to rub it in (joking :P )

18 pairs: -

The Main ones of interest are

11 Gary Armstrong

3 Gina House

1 Jeff Lloyd

5 Steve Elliot

1 Kakosckhe

What is the Kakoschke pair? :)

Sounds really good, look forward to seeing your results :)

Oh interesting to see who I've been paired with :)

But seriously, I wish you the very best breeding season and look forward to regular chickly updates!

Nubbly, we have paired your lacewing hen with your split lacewing cock.

And the other split lacewing cock with with our DF Spangle hen who has won me reserve novice and a number of other prizes. We need another hen for him, as i don't really want spangle markings through our lacewings, but this hen has a really nice body and I think she compliments him well so might be able to bring the markings back in a couple of generations.

Edited by KAZ

We have been away for a short trip to Canberra, and have come home to many hens showing egg bums :party0011: Any day now and we will have the first eggs of the season :wub:

I will have to try and get some photos of the pairs :laughter:

Edited by **Liv**

That's great Liv. :party0011: I just went out and checked mine. Most nest have clear eggs again :wub:

I really hope you do better than me Liv as I am really sick of this.

But My violet cock the one I won the Victoria shield in the violet class as a young bird has fertile eggs so he is doing great this year as so far I have got 12 babies from him with 2 different hens and now this lot :laughter:

Thanks Splat. All your birds being related may cause their fitness (fertility) to fall. You may need a virile out-cross to add some fitness back to your breeding :party0011:

Your violet sounds so beautiful :wub:

Edited by **Liv**

Using outcrosses this year Liv, but they aren't that closely related as When go out (outcross) then the following year I go back into the line :wub: But i know what you mean and have thought of that but after looking at each individual bird that can't be the problem , well not yet anyway :party0011:

okay Photo time....

:) :rofl: :hap:

These are my lacewing pair from Gina House

P1090553.jpg

Steve Elliot pair

P1090554.jpg

P1090555.jpg

Armstrong and unknown Lutino Pair

P1090587.jpg

Armstrong Recessive Pied pair

P1090585.jpg

The Late John Fisher ( :wub: )Cock with one of my bred hens

P1090577.jpg

P1090576.jpg

Armstrong cock with Feather duster sibling hen

P1090564.jpg

he also has this Armstrong hen too

P1090565.jpg

Gina House split lacewing cock with my bred hen - need to find a better hen for him. The above hen is perfect, ecept that she has missing flights like he does and I don't want to double up on that.

P1090562.jpg

There are 18 pairs all up but I didn't get photos of them all today.

:yes:

Looking good Liv :)

Exciting isnt it ?

This is going to be a wonderful thread to follow, Liv!

Thanks, its fun and busy. Running 18 cabinets and 2 flights is time consuming... back into full swing. The break was nice :)

That Lutino hen looks like a Jason Weidonhofer bird maybe? I have one of his lute hens, and they look similar.

Lovley pairs, Lovley birds!! :)

Looking good Liv, look forward to the pictorial evolution of the results!! :rofl:

Nice pairs Liv. Looking forward to the results. And yes the break is nice........ hmmm, soon over for us too :|

Hens have between 1 - 3 eggs at the moment :D:lol:

Right timing isnt it :D Mine are going mad for breeding right now hence making new breeding cages :lol:

Good luck with your future babies :D

Are you going to be showing for the Nest feather show between NEBS and BSSA? They should be a good age if they hatch out :lol:

Are you going to be showing for the Nest feather show between NEBS and BSSA? They should be a good age if they hatch out :bliss:

Yes, I plan to have chicks for that show :happy-dancing:

I checked the eggs yesterday and there is quite a bit of fertility, but not as much as I had hoped. However many of these birds are maiden or have moved from interstate in the last 9 months, so the next round may be better. The reliable birds that I have bred before are doing all the right things. :D

Why is it the hardest to breed from the expensive birds?? I am finding the ones that I invest in, always seem to have the least success :party0011:

Last season I bred with a beautiful $200 spangle hen, and after one round she went blind - I still have her too. she is coping really well in the flights, and I may even try and breed with her, but I doubt it will work.

Most pairs have fertility now! I completely forgot that we suddenly went away to Canberra just after pairing the birds and i didn't clip their behinds until we got home, so some pairs first eggs are clear. :)

I have one hen on 12 eggs :yes: