• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

Hi All

I have recently set up a breeding cage for my cockatiels. I tried breeding in the aviary ( I have 5 cockatiels, 3 male and 2 female) and the same bonded pair, Skittles and Gadzooks, kept on breeding. They had 4 clucthes (over 2 years), all of them only hatching one chick. Each time the chick died.The oldest surviving chick was just starting to get feathers. So I decided to try my other pair.

Introducing:::

Dragon- Normal Grey split Pearl,Lutino,Pied and Cinnamon. I have had him from June last year, when I got him as a baby. You can see the transistion from diluted baby face into full lemon adult face.:

DSCF0115.jpg

RIMG3200-1.jpg

RIMG3322-1.jpg

Minty- I have had Minty for 2 years or so now. The picture of her fluffed up a bit (2008) was the first night I got her. She is a WF Pearl:

DSCF0140.jpg

100_2023.jpg

Cage they are breeding in:

RIMG0241-1.jpg

RIMG0240.jpg

• Member ID:  5,775
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  800

This cage looks too small for cockatiels to breed in. It is okay for budgies, but not cockatiels. They need some room to fly and the perches are too small.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I agree :)

• Member ID:  5,236
  • Topic Count:  71

This isnt the flight cage you guys are thinking about. It is a different one, made by the same company. The cockatiels can fly, and the perches are the right size for cockatiels.

This isnt the flight cage you guys are thinking about. It is a different one, made by the same company. The cockatiels can fly, and the perches are the right size for cockatiels.

We arent thinking about anything. We are looking at the cage. If you say its big enough, show a picture with the tiels in it.

please let us know the dimensions of the cage. i think i've got the same cage here that i use as a kindie cage for my budgies...75cm long, 45cm high and 45cm wide. it is bigger than the average budgie breeding cage BUT it is too SMALL for cockatiels.

a cockatiel breeding cage should be at least 120cm long, 70cm high and 70cm wide. that is the minimum size and i would say the bigger the better. the perches should have a diameter of 2-3cm.

Edited by lealotta

I think the dimensions would be about that. I have had cockatiels kept in it before, and the birds are perfectly happy. They can spread their wings, they are singing and they are courting each other. They are fine. It isn't like it will be long term, for more then a year or anything. And the birds do get flight time if they want. I am away from the house right now, but when I get back in a couple days, I will post pictures.

I think the dimensions would be about that. I have had cockatiels kept in it before, and the birds are perfectly happy. They can spread their wings, they are singing and they are courting each other. They are fine. It isn't like it will be long term, for more then a year or anything. And the birds do get flight time if they want. I am away from the house right now, but when I get back in a couple days, I will post pictures.

yes, photos would be good. if you've got the cage inside the house and the cockatiels have a couple of hours flying time in your room then it is a bit different as they can exercise ther wings etc., but still imagine they will have 3-6 babies....then the cage is definetely too small for the whole young family.

I am planning to hand-rear the chicks just about the time they would be coming out of the nest. The cage is kept inside the house (as you can see the photos above were taken before the birds were in and it was set up properly) and the cockatiels have the choice to come out when I do my homework, for about 1-2 hours a day. Because I am only holidays right now, it is normally more then that.

yes, photos would be good. if you've got the cage inside the house and the cockatiels have a couple of hours flying time in your room then it is a bit different as they can exercise ther wings etc., but still imagine they will have 3-6 babies....then the cage is definetely too small for the whole young family.
My parents sent me some picts and a video(uploading now):Here is a couple pictures of them (They are outside because it is a nice sunny day there :()

RIMG0262-1.jpg

RIMG0266-1.jpg

Edited by Dave_McMinn

And here is a video:

th_RIMG0263-1.jpg

Edited by Squeak_Crumble

This is a budgie forum and not a tiel one. Off topic is for posting pictures and not getting into discussions about tiels really. So if you arent on a tiel forum yet, check out staff member Liv's tiel forum and you can go there and talk tiels all you like :(

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,207
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  617
  • Achievement Points:  3,480

This is a budgie forum and not a tiel one. Off topic is for posting pictures and not getting into discussions about tiels really. So if you arent on a tiel forum yet, check out staff member Liv's tiel forum and you can go there and talk tiels all you like :(

:) You are very welcome, Squeak_Crumble. Come to Totally Tiels. We have a Shoutbox and a chat room, we love pictures and we talk tiels all night long. Lots of us have budgies, too.

This is a budgie forum and not a tiel one. Off topic is for posting pictures and not getting into discussions about tiels really. So if you arent on a tiel forum yet, check out staff member Liv's tiel forum and you can go there and talk tiels all you like :)

I thought the whole point of "Off Topic Chatter" was for that.... to talk about things that aren't about budgies. Maybe you should edit the description about only posting pictures :(

Edited by Squeak_Crumble

This is a budgie forum and not a tiel one. Off topic is for posting pictures and not getting into discussions about tiels really. So if you arent on a tiel forum yet, check out staff member Liv's tiel forum and you can go there and talk tiels all you like :D

I thought the whole point of "Off Topic Chatter" was for that.... to talk about things that aren't about budgies. Maybe you should edit the description about only posting pictures :)

NO.........read up the top

NOTICE

Questions regarding health and support etc. of other animals besides budgies will be removed. However, feel free to post about your other pets with images etc.

This is a budgie forum and not a tiel one. Off topic is for posting pictures and not getting into discussions about tiels really. So if you arent on a tiel forum yet, check out staff member Liv's tiel forum and you can go there and talk tiels all you like :D

I thought the whole point of "Off Topic Chatter" was for that.... to talk about things that aren't about budgies. Maybe you should edit the description about only posting pictures :)

NO.........read up the top

NOTICE

Questions regarding health and support etc. of other animals besides budgies will be removed. However, feel free to post about your other pets with images etc.

Sorry.

Edited by Squeak_Crumble