• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  21/02/1982

Hi all,

Just been to check Sky's eggs and I'm fairly certain that the 5 out of 10 eggs I checked were infertile. The light just shines straight through the egg. The first egg was due to hatch about the 8th but adding on an extra 2 days that would have been yesterday.

Anyways my question is: Should I leave the eggs with Sky or should I take the whole lot off her and try again when I was originally going to (around September)?

I don't think she should be wasting her energy sitting on nothing but on the same token I would hate to upset her to much by taking the eggs away.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Anne Marie

• Member ID:  5,628
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  1,283
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,095
  • Birthday:  26/03/1998

Leave them.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

You should take them away. There is nothing to be gained by her sitting on useless eggs.

• Member ID:  5,656
  • Topic Count:  10

I was thinking about taking the eggs out and checking each one at a time if any are fertile I will return the whole lot but if all are infertile I was just going to let mum and dad back into the avairy. Sky won't become depressed or anything like that if I was to take the eggs would she?

There is never a need to take eggs anywhere to candle them. Candling can and should always be done in the nest without touching the eggs.

Budgies cannot count so rarely notice missing eggs or extra eggs.

I never take a bird straight from breeding and put into the aviary if I can help it. they need a rest cage for at least a week to build back up and eat well before the aviary stresses.

I am not able to candle all the eggs as she has so many and I am unable to tell with the ones in the middle. That is why I said about taking them out so I could see them. I know you are not suppose to touch the eggs but wearing something like a latex glove should be alright shouldn't it? Or maybe if I remove just the ones that I know are infertile and leave the others a bit longer, I really don't know.

I could always leave them in their cage a little longer and just remove the nest box. The cage is already in the avairy, I was just going to open the door and let them come out when they were ready.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

I am not able to candle all the eggs as she has so many and I am unable to tell with the ones in the middle. That is why I said about taking them out so I could see them. I know you are not suppose to touch the eggs but wearing something like a latex glove should be alright shouldn't it? Or maybe if I remove just the ones that I know are infertile and leave the others a bit longer, I really don't know.

I could always leave them in their cage a little longer and just remove the nest box. The cage is already in the avairy, I was just going to open the door and let them come out when they were ready.

its not just about touching due to germs its about moving babys and aborting the fetus

gloves would be pointless in preventing that

if their are defenently any fertile just leave them she will toss out or eat intill first fertile one hatches

if all infertile toss all out remove nest or block and leave in cage as kaz said for week or two

to recover

i lost one putting strate back after clutch when i started out i never do it now

Why are they breeding in a cage in the aviary ?

What if I leave them another week. If none hatch in time then I remove all the eggs, remove the box, and leave the birds in the cage for a week. I will then stick with my original plan and prepare for some eggs in September. Oh and I'll remove that plant that Sky thought was a good nesting spot as well.

In one of my other posts I mentioned that Sky laid two eggs in a plant in the avairy, I placed the eggs into a nest box, and put them and the box into a spare cage, as I was unable to bring the cage inside due to cat sitting I kept the cage in the avairy where they could still be protected from most of the elements.

Edited by Annie82

okay. What colour are the eggs ?

okay

went and had a quick look and from what I can tell all of the eggs seem to be a really nice white colour except definately 3 maybe 4, they are still white but are not as bright, hard to explain really, all I can say is they are not brown, they are still white just a different white to the others.

How many eggs can a bird lay? I believe Sky is going for number 11. Looking a bit big in the bum.

okay

went and had a quick look and from what I can tell all of the eggs seem to be a really nice white colour except definately 3 maybe 4, they are still white but are not as bright, hard to explain really, all I can say is they are not brown, they are still white just a different white to the others.

How many eggs can a bird lay? I believe Sky is going for number 11. Looking a bit big in the bum.

White eggs are fertile. peachy looking pinkish ones arent. BUT if she is still laying ? then some wont show as fertile yet.

efbb5fee.jpg

Edited by KAZ

Yes that is similiar to Sky's eggs though I would say not that dark. Then again it could have been the light as well. So what do I do?

Leave the eggs, take the eggs, wait a week???

Yes that is similiar to Sky's eggs though I would say not that dark. Then again it could have been the light as well. So what do I do?

Leave the eggs, take the eggs, wait a week???

You said she is still laying ?? If so how do you know you arent taking her new eggs ?

she is up to number 11. There is no room left in her concave and she has pushed 3 eggs over to the side. Two of which are infertile, the other a nice white one.

I really don't think Budge is in breeding condition and said so when I first mentioned about her having laid two eggs. I have looked at his cere now compared to when I took a photo of him for you guys and his cere is now a much lighter blue then before.

I really think these new eggs are probably infertile as well. The first egg was suppose to hatch yesterday, my guess is if any were of any use it would have been the first few, then again maybe I am being impatient for the eggs to hatch.

That is why I mentioned about leaving them for a week, if none hatch then none good.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

she is up to number 11. There is no room left in her concave and she has pushed 3 eggs over to the side. Two of which are infertile, the other a nice white one.

I really don't think Budge is in breeding condition and said so when I first mentioned about her having laid two eggs. I have looked at his cere now compared to when I took a photo of him for you guys and his cere is now a much lighter blue then before.

I really think these new eggs are probably infertile as well. The first egg was suppose to hatch yesterday, my guess is if any were of any use it would have been the first few, then again maybe I am being impatient for the eggs to hatch.

That is why I mentioned about leaving them for a week, if none hatch then none good.

just leave them

and next time she lays and you dont want her to breed just remove eggs from aviary

if one or both are not in condition your just asking for trouble so much can go wrong even birds not feeding hatched chicks feather plucking heaps things

mabe one she pushed aside was pushed aside to hatch

rmember they rotate the eggs by pushing them aside

and in colder weather eggs can take longer to hatch

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

With 11 eggs,the chance of any hatching,is very slim as they will be getting chilled,

eaven if they look fertile,they could be dead in shell,are you sure,that the hen did't stop laying

& started again,if she started in the pot plant & you shifted her to a nest,I would have my doubts,

she continued laying.

I wasn't 100% sure that he was out of breeding condition, I'm still new to this and am still learning. I know that Sky most definately is in breeding condition though. I also thought that if they were so keen on having eggs by laying in a pot plant then I should give them the opportunity to do so. Besides I could not have been certain that even by disposing of the eggs and removing the plant that she would have attempted to lay some where else. I took what I thought was the safest option for her and her eggs.

As for the eggs being pushed aside I think it was in the middle of a rotation as when I looked later they were all in the middle again.

How many eggs are too many though, she has laid 11 and he was asking for some more action again today? Is it possible that they can lay a second clutch whilst still on the first lot of eggs? I mean this is getting really silly now. Basically when is enough enough?

Anne Marie

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Hi Annie,

What a dilemma, huh? I'm new to all this, too. I think you made a fine decision to try to let her nest, if that was what she wanted. You had no way of knowing it would play out like this. I can also see the other side of the coin, that if all she's doing is laying infertile eggs, she is putting a needless drain on herself. I think you still have a little time to wait and see what happens before you have to decide whether or not to (try) to stop her from laying.

Maybe you can let her go for a little while longer, just to see if some of the middle eggs really are fertile. Maybe you can put marks on all 11 that she has now, and then if she lays more, you will know which ones are the newest. (You could start numbering the new eggs and keeping a record of the date laid. This would help clear up doubts about the later eggs.) Then after a few days, if the ones with the early marks really are clear, you know which ones are old and which ones are new. Maybe by then she will have stopped laying, which will solve one of your problems.

One thing I have heard is that with such a large clutch, the first hatchlings inadvertantly addle the later eggs. Even though it's sad to think that some of the youngest eggs might die, I think the size of the clutch might stay manageable for the hen. One of my clutches had 9 eggs, but only had 4 hatch.

I don't know if these suggestions are even good ideas. But I don't think it would hurt to wait 3-5 more days before you pull the plug. Here's hoping that some will hatch, and that will trigger the hen to stop laying. Good luck.

Thanks Finnie

I too understand the two sides of the coin, like I said I thought at the time that I was making the right decision for her, I was not to know that the eggs would be infertile and now that I do I understand the time and effort it takes Sky and Budge to sit on these eggs (Budge sits on the eggs, when Sky comes out for a stretch and drink etc)

I'm thinking your idea of marking the eggs are a good idea, I have already written down the dates that all the eggs were laid, and know that she was laying consistantly every even day then 2 days in a row she laid and now we are on odd days. Shall find out tomorrow if any more eggs are to appear.

I was also thinking about a week before pulling the plug, if I wait until Friday at the most, that will be the first 5 eggs at their hatch dates and beyond.

And as for her to stop laying, well I am totally open for suggestions on that one.

Thanks again

Anne Marie

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi Annie,

I have a little clip on book light with a bright globe. I used this to candle egg's if it's dark in your breeding box shine the light directly over each egg, you can see, either little spider veins (after an egg is 5 days or so) or a darker lump, for a better word if it's an older egg and it's fertile

If what you see is a clear glow it's infertile or new you won't know which are the new eggs if she's still laying.

The first 3 you moved may be addled e.g. which means the next egg could be due say a week after first 3 were due. I'd leave things now and let 'Old Mother Nature" do her thing. :)

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Any result yet Annie82 ?