Will Budgies Upset My Neighbours With Noise?

• Member ID:  5,682
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  150
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1981

Hi everyone, I allready have a cute male hand tamed budgie named Polly.

I would love to get a few aviary budgies, and I have allready bought 2 large cages that can be joined together to make an even larger cage. I live in a unit with neighbours in close proximity and what I really want to know is if I get some budgies, will they make a lot of noise and upset my neighbours? I am not worried about a little bit of noise or a few loud chirps every now and then, but I have read some people have been driven crazy by the noise they make.

My pet budgie Polly only makes a loud chirp when he wants our attention. This does not bother me at all because I love the fact he loves me. He is an inside bird and the neighbours don't hear him. When I first got him he used to call out to the wild rainbow lorrikeets flying above if I had him outside, but he doesn't even bother when he hears them now as he has become bonded to us.

Will aviary budgies call out loudly to each other or other birds?

Polly doesn't really make a lot of noise ( he is very talkative and can say heaps of phrases but this is not loud ) but are all budgies different? Does the amount of noise they make depend on their individual pesonallity?

I am thinking of getting 4 budgies, 2 male 2 female not to breed them constantly, but in the future I think I might like to breed 1 or 2 clutches only. I just want to keep them happy and healthy.

I have searched the internet and this website a lot but I can't find much on the noise levels of budgies, and when I have I have found conflicting information.

Also I want to keep Polly completly seperate from any new addittions, but if he does come into contact with them will this change his personallity. That would be the last thing I would want.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to read this and pass on their experience.

• Member ID:  6,153
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Achievement Points:  135

All budgies are different. I have one extremly loud male but another one who is very quite. From what I understand and have experienced, getting more budgies (especially if you're breeding) makes your original one louder. Just my opinion :question:

• Member ID:  6,042
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

Hi, Budgies will make a lot of chatter and it can be loud. Not as loud as rainbow lorrikett or cockatoo. Have you asked your neighbours if they mind a bit of budgie noise?

• Member ID:  5,682
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Achievement Points:  150
  • Birthday:  08/05/1981

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I havn't asked the neighbours if they would mind the noise but they are renting and I would have to be considerant to new tennants as well. In the summertime blackbirds start singing outside my window as soon as the sun comes up and it annoys me if I am trying to sleep.

Our bedroom is upstairs so if the budgies made a lot of noise we wouldn't be able to hear it but the neighbours probably would.

I might have to hold up on the idea for a while

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Hey Bren

Yes budgies CAN cause some real problems with noise. It does depend on how many and how close to the neighbours they might be but at least one club member here in WA has had some significant council issue over noisy budgerigars so some caution and consideration is in order.