• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  25
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

okay my female has been laying eggs for the past week. She got to 3 eggs. She missed one day of laying in other words she laid on the third day (egg 4) but she laid it in the food container not the breeding box.

I thought that maybe because the cage was covered she couldn’t see where her box was so she just felt around and found the food container. I noticed she wasn’t sitting on the eggs anymore though so i put the one in the food container in the breeding box. She went in to sit on all four of them for a bit and has now left them completely. This was yesterday. Today she hasn’t sat on them at all! And she is scared of me now (as she did when she wasn't laying eggs) and not protective of her box like she used to.

The male has been acting a bit weird. I notice him fertilizing the perches quite a bit but never the female. I have seen them in the box together but i'm pretty sure they don't mate. The male also has problems flying and maybe this makes it difficult for him to stabilize himself on her or something. Is that the only way that birds mate though? Can the male just fertilize the eggs after they are laid?

I think it's either the male or the weather or the fact that i put the egg from the food container in the breeding box. The reason i say weather is because it's now getting into winter and a bit colder (Brisbane, Australia). Maybe she figures that they won't survive even if they were to hatch or something. Should i take the eggs out or should i leave them a few more days?

I'm so sorry to anyone who's offended by anything wrong i've done but this really is my first time with this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

Just remove the nest box and leave them for now :) Dont fret about the eggs, just remove them.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

okay my female has been laying eggs for the past week. She got to 3 eggs. She missed one day of laying in other words she laid on the third day (egg 4) but she laid it in the food container not the breeding box.

I thought that maybe because the cage was covered she couldn’t see where her box was so she just felt around and found the food container. I noticed she wasn’t sitting on the eggs anymore though so i put the one in the food container in the breeding box. She went in to sit on all four of them for a bit and has now left them completely. This was yesterday. Today she hasn’t sat on them at all! And she is scared of me now (as she did when she wasn't laying eggs) and not protective of her box like she used to.

Budgies rarely sit on the eggs straight away. They will wait till they have 3 or 4 or more before incubating. Try to not overcheck her box or she will feel insecure

The male has been acting a bit weird. I notice him fertilizing the perches quite a bit but never the female. I have seen them in the box together but i'm pretty sure they don't mate. The male also has problems flying and maybe this makes it difficult for him to stabilize himself on her or something. Is that the only way that birds mate though?

Can the male just fertilize the eggs after they are laid? NO

I think it's either the male or the weather or

the fact that i put the egg from the food container in the breeding box. Should have nothing to do with it

The reason i say weather is because it's now getting into winter and a bit colder (Brisbane, Australia). Maybe she figures that they won't survive even if they were to hatch or something.

Quite possible

Should i take the eggs out or should i leave them a few more days? too soon to be removing eggs when she hasnt finished laying a full clutch

I'm so sorry to anyone who's offended by anything wrong i've done but this really is my first time with this.

how old are your budgies ? and how have you set the cage up and what kind of cage ?

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  6,083

Budgies rarely sit on the eggs straight away. They will wait till they have 3 or 4 or more before incubating. Try to not overcheck her box or she will feel insecure

The male has been acting a bit weird. I notice him fertilizing the perches quite a bit but never the female. I have seen them in the box together but i'm pretty sure they don't mate. The male also has problems flying and maybe this makes it difficult for him to stabilize himself on her or something. Is that the only way that birds mate though?

Can the male just fertilize the eggs after they are laid? NO

I think it's either the male or the weather or

the fact that i put the egg from the food container in the breeding box. Should have nothing to do with it

The reason i say weather is because it's now getting into winter and a bit colder (Brisbane, Australia). Maybe she figures that they won't survive even if they were to hatch or something.

Quite possible

Should i take the eggs out or should i leave them a few more days? too soon to be removing eggs when she hasnt finished laying a full clutch

how old are your budgies ? and how have you set the cage up and what kind of cage ?

okay thank you very much for your replies. I am worried about the eggs because she was sitting on them then she stopped. She hasn't been laying anymore either since the last one 2 days ago. She started sitting on them after her second egg. I think people should also know that there is a cat in the neighborhood (whom i hate very dearly) that often comes up to sit on the table that the cage is on. I am getting mousetraps to put around the cage to teach it a lesson, hopefully that will scare it off. My point is, does anyone think that it's the cat that may have scared her into thinking the place is no longer safe to raise chicks?

As for the age of my budgies, i'm unsure as the breeder i bought them from had no idea. They are, however, mature as their cere's are the proper colour (the males is dark blue and the females, brown and is a little scaly indicating she has increased oestrogen levels). I have another pair of birds in another cage which aren't breeding at the moment (even with a box) but i figure i'll wait until spring and see what happens.

As for my cage setup, i wish i knew how to upload photos..... In both cages, the breeding box is in a high place.

Yes the cat may well have something to do with it. Can you shift the cage ?

Maturity in a budgie is not solely determined by cere colour as their cere can be coloured at 5-6 months but not mature enough to breed until 12 months.

How to post pictures link in my signature.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  6,083

Yes the cat may well have something to do with it. Can you shift the cage ?

Maturity in a budgie is not solely determined by cere colour as their cere can be coloured at 5-6 months but not mature enough to breed until 12 months.

How to post pictures link in my signature.

this is a photo of the two who aren't going into their cage,

18052010024.jpg

this is a photo of the two that are not caring for the eggs anymore,

18052010023.jpg

Thanks for your help. Shifting the cage isn't really an option. I do cover the cage at night anyway and it is too heavy for the cat to really do anything to it.

I'll see how i go with the traps. I've heard once they get their foot in one of those they bolt and never come back....

Edited by noob

• Member ID:  5,779
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  497
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  3,455
  • Birthday:  07/08/1989

There is always the chance that the cat will step around the traps.

There is a wonderful product you can buy called "Keep Off". Its a dog and cat repellent. I used it on my own cat once because it would always go to the bathroom in my neighbours yard, and my neighbour was starting to set giant rat traps (the inhumane kind) with cat food as bait. :unsure:

I think most vets sell it. Here is the site http://www.multicrop.com.au/KeepOff.htm

Edited by Maddy

Nestbox looks extremely hard to get at unless the budgie is determined. Kind of like stuck in an attic room.

18052010023.jpg

Maybe a better cage setiup than that one would change things.

Edited by KAZ