• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  340
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all. I have a question regarding my budgie Shamrock. He is getting older now, he is about 5-6 years old and lately had some beak issues. He has been to the vet about four times to get his beak trimmed within a span of about 6 months. The vet wasn't exactly sure why his beak was growing so rapidly and thought it could be liver/kidney issues. She said the only way to find out for sure would be to run several tests which are both costly and stressful for the bird. She suggested some vitamins to put in his water which I gave to him a month ago and his beak seems fine now. However his droppings are very strange and are not related to the added vitamins. They seem associated with the beak issue.They are very runny and smell like urine (ammonia). His vent is also a little "sticky" because of the watery droppings. I am wondering if he might have a kidney issue. I am very concerned for his health. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Shamrock19

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Hi all. I have a question regarding my budgie Shamrock. He is getting older now, he is about 5-6 years old and lately had some beak issues. He has been to the vet about four times to get his beak trimmed within a span of about 6 months. The vet wasn't exactly sure why his beak was growing so rapidly and thought it could be liver/kidney issues. She said the only way to find out for sure would be to run several tests which are both costly and stressful for the bird. She suggested some vitamins to put in his water which I gave to him a month ago and his beak seems fine now. However his droppings are very strange and are not related to the added vitamins. They seem associated with the beak issue.They are very runny and smell like urine (ammonia). His vent is also a little "sticky" because of the watery droppings. I am wondering if he might have a kidney issue. I am very concerned for his health. Any suggestions are welcome.

spend the money for the tests its the only way to know for sure

their not that stressful

5 to 6 is not that old they can live to ten to 16

• Member ID:  3,298
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  340

I would go to the vet for the tests, but my original vet even suggested it might not be worth it because even then you might not know the exact cause. I guess I what I meant to say was I have had him for almost 6 years. He was a pet store bird so I am not sure how old he was when I first got him. He definitely was not a youngster though since he lacked the full barring. Is there any type of food or something that might make him feel a little better? He eats anything from seed to veggies to fruit. Or any suggestions on what might be causing the issue.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

is there any type of food or something that might make him feel a little better? He eats anything from seed to veggies to fruit. Or any suggestions on what might be causing the issue.

theres been said that red vegetables helps...........raw beetroot in particular and even the water beetreoot is cooked in.