• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  345
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello all, sorry about repeating this subject. I've done lots of search and read up but still don't quite get it.

My budgie is very tamed but he has attitude or mood. He bites when he don't like something like certain times when I am near his cage. Sometimes he can play very well and all of a sudden he turns around and give a big bite. He is getting more and more bossy, it seems like everything must be done his way. What can I do? help.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I know there is a thread if you do a search here on biting and how different people hand it. If your budgie is tame you can take him off your hand if he bites you, you can say no, some people with light flick their beak but I find that makes Merlin bite back, it can also be more around molting time where they get more hormonal and when that happens I do tend to leave Merlin alone more where I won't be so hands on.

• Member ID:  5,773

I've read that thread and tried several methods, thing is he WANTS to be handled/cuddled/kissed most of the time (or when he feels like it) then turned into mr hyde that quickly. But you could be right, he's close to four months and bits of down feathers here and there, could be moulting although no spikes visible yet. He's still bossy though, body language says it. I must have been giving in too much somewhere although I don't know what.

Can I ask when Merlin is not moulting, is he an angel, like never bites?

Edited by flycow
  • 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,933
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  135

I've read that thread and tried several methods, thing is he WANTS to be handled/cuddled/kissed most of the time (or when he feels like it) then turned into mr hyde that quickly. But you could be right, he's close to four months and bits of down feathers here and there, could be moulting although no spikes visible yet. He's still bossy though, body language says it. I must have been giving in too much somewhere although I don't know what.

If you notice budgie behavior, they can be best friends with one budgie one day, and the next day, running that very same budgie off the perch. Four months is still a young budgie. Not sure that you can "train" a budgie in that length of time to do anything, so I doubt that you've been "giving in too much." :yes: He may just have that type personality. Are you sure he's a male? It's usually hard to tell until after the first molt. You may have a little hen on your hand. :P They are sweet, but temperamental. Very! But, I love them to death.

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

Tammy is very tame with me, comes onto my hand etc. but sometimes she just wants me to **** off and gives me a squawk and bites, i think its just him telling you what he wants. if i bother tammy while shes eating she will bite me

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

mabe its my fault lol

mabe all the birds i tame end up with my attitude :P:D :rofl:

myself i just put them awayu and tell them no you hurt me so you dont come out till im ready for you now

that way im incharge again and if they try bite me when their out i give a warrning youll go back to your cage if you bite

and i point to them when i do it im also holding them in a hand with them faceing me so im in total control

if the bit i just do what i said

they stay in till the settle down

:yes: mabe they just heard how grumpy i am and coppyed i hope not :P :rofl:

let me know how he goes

and tammy houman her also

okay

If you notice budgie behavior, they can be best friends with one budgie one day, and the next day, running that very same budgie off the perch. Four months is still a young budgie. Not sure that you can "train" a budgie in that length of time to do anything, so I doubt that you've been "giving in too much." :) He may just have that type personality. Are you sure he's a male? It's usually hard to tell until after the first molt. You may have a little hen on your hand. :) They are sweet, but temperamental. Very! But, I love them to death.

you can train a budgie in two weeks two fly to you you just need to know how B) so yes you can tame a budgie alot in 4 months a very lot

If you notice budgie behavior, they can be best friends with one budgie one day, and the next day, running that very same budgie off the perch. Four months is still a young budgie. Not sure that you can "train" a budgie in that length of time to do anything, so I doubt that you've been "giving in too much." :) He may just have that type personality. Are you sure he's a male? It's usually hard to tell until after the first molt. You may have a little hen on your hand. B) They are sweet, but temperamental. Very! But, I love them to death.

you can train a budgie in two weeks two fly to you you just need to know how :wacko: so yes you can tame a budgie alot in 4 months a very lot

with all the techniques*mind gone blank cant spell it* breeders are using these days seems like you can get them tame in under a month :)

If you notice budgie behavior, they can be best friends with one budgie one day, and the next day, running that very same budgie off the perch. Four months is still a young budgie. Not sure that you can "train" a budgie in that length of time to do anything, so I doubt that you've been "giving in too much." :) He may just have that type personality. Are you sure he's a male? It's usually hard to tell until after the first molt. You may have a little hen on your hand. B) They are sweet, but temperamental. Very! But, I love them to death.

you can train a budgie in two weeks two fly to you you just need to know how :wacko: so yes you can tame a budgie alot in 4 months a very lot

with all the techniques*mind gone blank cant spell it* breeders are using these days seems like you can get them tame in under a month :)

it really depends on the bird houman

i choose some and others they choose me

so its easyer if the bird chooses to be friendly to begin with

i got one now i tamed for someone but they never got back to me

its a hen she just loves company and always wants to sit on my sholder when i feed everyone else so i take her out cage and let her its her treat i never tryed to tame her she tamed herself

• Member ID:  5,933
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23
  • Achievement Points:  135

its a hen she just loves company and always wants to sit on my sholder when i feed everyone else so i take her out cage and let her its her treat i never tryed to tame her she tamed herself

So, what's the technique?

So, what's the technique?

ask GB she done a darn great job with Tammy. :wacko:

i believe its called quality of time and love :wub:

its sharing everything from your shoulder to your bed :wub:

trust and just having that something special in your chosen bird

every bird has its own special thing its finding its thing

when you have that bird will love you for just knowing what it wants

respect for each other

all the same things as with a human

its a relationship between you both main thing is love no loud voices not yelling lots kiss hugs and bed sharing

make them feel special

with in a few weeks they will fly to you soon as they see you out of love and want to be with you

its that easy

• Member ID:  5,773

my birds are tamed when they arrive at your house and dont need to get useto you or accustomed to anything but the new room they are not afraid of diffrent people nor are they scarred

if anything they are over checky and have aptitude (as i said mabe they take after me )

flycrow you need to stay firm as you havebeen and take a look at whats making him decide to bit you

have youbeen changeing his rutine

does he come out less

or more

all this can play a part

take a look at if anything has changed

then see if you can pin point when he started to be naughty and if he bites take charge and put him back for 5 mins dont let him out till he promises to be good

Yeah, GB's budgies are really tame, she did a great job with Giorgio. He is such a bold and confident bird. He knows shoulders are safer than fingers and fingers are safer than palms. He doesn't like to be catched when it is not for a head scratch (when he feels like one). He still comes to me half the time.

I've done the punishment of putting back to cage for biting but and it has helped. There's been a bit of a routine change, mostly to suit him as he develops. The bathroom is now his new playroom and I can never get him to leave once he's inside. In other rooms he'll want to go where I go, except the bathroom, well with mirrors and chromed showerheads, I'm not that surprise but I really have to stop that as he's getting away with it nine out of ten times.

I think maybe it's really due to moulting that he's cranky at times. I will observe him until the full feather change, hopefully he will be gentler with me then. Now he only have two head feathers changed and no other pins at all on his body and being winter it may be a long wait.

Edited by maesie

• Member ID:  6,102
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  47
  • Achievement Points:  305
  • Birthday:  28/11/1947

I must admit I have had the odd bite from Bruce, but this is very infrequent. He has only started to do this since becoming a "teenager" and it is normlly if he has been moulting or once when I lifted him on my finger out of his cage to say goodnight to him. I kiss him every night before bed normally with no problem (I know I'm a big softy), he even looks for his kiss, but this one particualr night he mustnt have been in the right mood and he latched on to my top lip and boy did it hurt. I normally tell him no in a slightly raised voice, not shout and put him back in his cage. He looks at me as if he understands his behaviour was not acceptable. I dont know if its the raised voice when I normally always talk very gently to him or if its the putting back in his cage that does it, but it does stop him for a long while until I catch him on an off day again, but it isnt that often, I think he has only bitten me about 4 times in the 18 months I have had him.

I suppose they are entitled to an off day just like we are, but it is up to us to get to know our birds and if they appear to be a bit grumpy dont annoy them any further. Just like GB says respect on both sides.

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  6,131
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  59
  • Achievement Points:  425
  • Birthday:  07/04/1997

My Budgie , Jet bites too . I think it might be a form of play fighting.

Is it when you put your finger near your Budgie?

• Member ID:  6,102
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  47
  • Achievement Points:  305
  • Birthday:  28/11/1947

My Budgie , Jet bites too . I think it might be a form of play fighting.

Is it when you put your finger near your Budgie?

It could be because your budgie is frightened that it bites if you put your finger near it. As they say the best form of defence is attack.

You must always be very gentle when going near your bird, if it doesnt want you near it dont force the issue or you may frighten the bird and then you will never get its trust again.