• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  905
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/07/1986

I took Opal to the vet today and he said that she is low in iodine. He swabbed some iodine on her wing web to be absorbed by her body and told me to get some seed mix that has iodine fortified. Opal has a mineral block but is not very interested in it and im going to get her new food but i want o know if any one else can give me suggestions for food with iodine supplement, or other supplements you use. My vet suggested Hagen for food but what others are out there? I'm in the US so our brands may be somewhat different. Also if you give some king of suppliment how often etc. i dont want to over dose her. Thanks!

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

I took Opal to the vet today and he said that she is low in iodine. He swabbed some iodine on her wing web to be absorbed by her body and told me to get some seed mix that has iodine fortified. Opal has a mineral block but is not very interested in it and im going to get her new food but i want o know if any one else can give me suggestions for food with iodine supplement, or other supplements you use. My vet suggested Hagen for food but what others are out there? I'm in the US so our brands may be somewhat different. Also if you give some king of suppliment how often etc. i dont want to over dose her. Thanks!

Just curious but you don't tell how your vet came to the low iodine conclusion. Would you like to tell us why you took Opal to the vet. Might be something we could learn from.

• Member ID:  1,123

Opal's appointment was originally because of some feather loss on her chest which is caused by something unrelated to iodine.

(I adopted Opal from a pet store because she had "leg issues." I took her to the vet to find out what was causing her to not be able to perch and use her toes to grasp. The doctor told me that her problems were probably caused by lead ingestion when she was young, prob at the breeders. The lead damaged her peripheral nerves innervating her toes. So to compensate she has limited use of her front toe and uses that to climb and subsequently lies a lot on her chest because she can't sit up properly. So from lying down all the time the feathers on her chest wear down.)

So anyways while i was there getting that checked out I also pointed out to the vet some stress bars on her tail feather. He looked her over and noticed some discoloring dark pigmentation on other feathers. He told me that her thought it was probably related to nutritional deficiency. A combination of possibly old seed and her lack of interest in using her mineral block. I also told him that once in a while she will stretch her neck out, open her beak, and make a squeaking sound, almost like she had something stuck in her throat (but she didn't). He said that that is related to iodine deficiency which causes thyroid hyperplasia causing the enlarged thyroid to push on the trachea. So like i said before he gave her some iodine and told me to buy a fortified seed mix.

I would appreciate any good food suggestions, iodine supplements, as well as suggestions on how to get her interested in her mineral block. :hap:

Edited by Pika

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

We already have a lot of info on here on iodine....using the search facility will bring you up a lot of topics. I think there is also pinned topics. :hap:

• Member ID:  1,123

i read over the pinned topic (thanks), but there are only 2 foods listed there and i don't think any of the stores around me sell Trill. Anyone know any specific foods that are good or what iodine in the ingredient list will be listed as, ie. just iodine or some iodine salt compound. I've seen calcium iodate listed in the food i have but i don't believe that it is a supplement just an ingredient to bind stuff or something.

i read over the pinned topic (thanks), but there are only 2 foods listed there and i don't think any of the stores around me sell Trill. Anyone know any specific foods that are good or what iodine in the ingredient list will be listed as, ie. just iodine or some iodine salt compound. I've seen calcium iodate listed in the food i have but i don't believe that it is a supplement just an ingredient to bind stuff or something.

It also speaks of adding iodine to the water. We use aqueous iodine also known as LUGOLL'S IODINE available from chemists....5-7 drops per litre.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi Pika,

Totally agree with Kaz on using AQUEOUS IODINE. Had big issue's with one of my bird's and this totally cured the problem. At least if it's in their water you know they are getting it. I now add it to all my aviary water so I know they are all getting it instead of relying on iodine bells etc. :)

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

5-7 per litre, how would you use it if it were for only one budgie.

Edited by Houman

5-7 per litre, how would you use it if it were for only one budgie.

You use mathematics and division and work out a percentage that you use in a drinker for your bird.

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

okay so 1 drop for a 200ml drinker or a 142 ml depening on if you do 5 or 7 drops

okay so 1 drop for a 200ml drinker or a 142 ml depening on if you do 5 or 7 drops

Sounds good mate :(