• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  45
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I've had my budgie for 3 years. Up until a month ago he was a normal, boisterous, chirpy bird. But beginning about 4 weeks ago, he has stopped chirping, whistling and singing. He is silent.

Now, my first feeling was that he must have been ill. But he's not ill. His appetite is normal and he still does all the things he used to do. He isn't listless, just silent. He still sits in front of his mirror, but he no longer attempts communication ...

He is in a cage that gets moved around to different rooms of the house for stimulation. Someone is home most of the day. He sits on the front porch in his cage (where he used to be noisiest) for a lot of the day, where he can see and hear other birds. At night his cage comes into the living room where the TV is on and people are talking. Quite often you'd have to tell him to pipe down, he was so noisy. But now, nothing!

The only time I can get him to chirp is if I take his cage onto the back lawn and lay it on its side, so he can walk around on the grass, etc. Then he chirps again - not as loudly as he used to, but at least it's something like his old self.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong? Do birds become less inclined to chatter as they get older? Is it just boredom?

I really don't like seeing him like this, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glenn

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hi Glenn.........

silence to birds is a sign of danger. Maybe something is making him apprehensive or feeling he isnt as secure as he once was. Just a suggestion :rofl:

• Member ID:  5,309
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,385
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

I agree with Kaz... Has anything changed at home that may be affecting him...?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Try this recorded budgie sounds download CD and see if it helps http://www.listeningearth.com.au/audio/35HappyBudgies.mp3

where to buy it

http://www.listeningearth.com/albums/35Hap..._Album_Info.htm

also always have sound going on even if its just the radio.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  6,032

Try this recorded budgie sounds download CD and see if it helps http://www.listeningearth.com.au/audio/35HappyBudgies.mp3

where to buy it

http://www.listeningearth.com/albums/35Hap..._Album_Info.htm

also always have sound going on even if its just the radio.

Yes, I have tried happy budgies on YouTube. He looks around, but remains silent.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

That is odd.

Is he going through a molt?

That is odd.

Is he going through a molt?

Nope, no molt!

Yeah, it is very odd. I've just about run out of ideas. Most people either say he must be sick or going through a molt; but it's neither of those things.

And to the best of my knowledge he hasn't had a scare.

Thanks, though, to everyone who replied. I just thought maybe I had overlooked something. I'll just have to get used to a silent bird.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I would remove the mirror it is not healthy anyways to have them in there but that there is a difference of opinion too. As long as he is not showing sign of illness I would keep an eye on him. He might be going into a molt I know Merlin becomes much quieter during this period of time. Keep us updated.

I would remove the mirror it is not healthy anyways to have them in there but that there is a difference of opinion too. As long as he is not showing sign of illness I would keep an eye on him. He might be going into a molt I know Merlin becomes much quieter during this period of time. Keep us updated.

Actually, there is one other piece of information that didn't occur to me until today. Many people have asked me if he is going through a moult: in fact, the opposite seems to be true -- he hasn't moulted in several months. Being an indoor bird, his moults were never big - but they used to be consistent. But it has been a few months and he hasn't moulted. Could THIS be the reason for his silence? What would cause a bird to stop moulting?

Molting depends on the time of the year, temps in your house there are different factors. I find that Merlin will go through light molts and then do one really heavy molt which usually makes him cranky and quiet. If he is still really quiet is he at least active? Are you saying you don't hear one peep out of him?Molting depends on the time of the year, temps in your house there are different factors. I find that Merlin will go through light molts and then do one really heavy molt which usually makes him cranky and quiet. If he is still really quiet is he at least active? Are you saying you don't hear one peep out of him?

Molting depends on the time of the year, temps in your house there are different factors. I find that Merlin will go through light molts and then do one really heavy molt which usually makes him cranky and quiet. If he is still really quiet is he at least active? Are you saying you don't hear one peep out of him?Molting depends on the time of the year, temps in your house there are different factors. I find that Merlin will go through light molts and then do one really heavy molt which usually makes him cranky and quiet. If he is still really quiet is he at least active? Are you saying you don't hear one peep out of him?

Elly, it has gone on for 6 weeks now. On only 3 or 4 days during that six week period has he made even the slightest chirp - all the other days he is totally silent.

He is still active, though probably not as active as he used to be. He seems to sleep more. His appetite is as good as ever.

The only time he really livens up is when I take his cage onto the back lawn and lay it on its side, so he has access to the grass and, I guess, a different view. He starts chirping then (though not chattering), and darts around the cage, walks on the grass, pecking, etc.

It really is baffling.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Elly, it has gone on for 6 weeks now. On only 3 or 4 days during that six week period has he made even the slightest chirp - all the other days he is totally silent.

He is still active, though probably not as active as he used to be. He seems to sleep more. His appetite is as good as ever.

The only time he really livens up is when I take his cage onto the back lawn and lay it on its side, so he has access to the grass and, I guess, a different view. He starts chirping then (though not chattering), and darts around the cage, walks on the grass, pecking, etc.

It really is baffling.

can i ask is his breathing seem deeper as in not noisey just does he look to be breathing heavier

?

You know if he is not sick he could be just lonely, if he does not perk up when he sees you and talks to you then I would say work on having a stronger bond, Pretty was a very very quiet budgie, didn't move and do anything until I really started to work with him and then when I got Merlin his personality really shined through.

Elly, it has gone on for 6 weeks now. On only 3 or 4 days during that six week period has he made even the slightest chirp - all the other days he is totally silent. He is still active, though probably not as active as he used to be. He seems to sleep more. His appetite is as good as ever.The only time he really livens up is when I take his cage onto the back lawn and lay it on its side, so he has access to the grass and, I guess, a different view. He starts chirping then (though not chattering), and darts around the cage, walks on the grass, pecking, etc.It really is baffling.
can i ask is his breathing seem deeper as in not noisey just does he look to be breathing heavier ?
No, his breathing is normal. No change at all, there.
You know if he is not sick he could be just lonely, if he does not perk up when he sees you and talks to you then I would say work on having a stronger bond, Pretty was a very very quiet budgie, didn't move and do anything until I really started to work with him and then when I got Merlin his personality really shined through.
Yeah, I'm starting to think it might be just loneliness or boredom. But he was fine for three years. You'd think he would be used to his situation.
  • 3 weeks later...

My bird, Freddie, died this afternoon. He appeared "normal" the whole time of his silence, until last night, when he suddenly took a turn for the worst.

So I guess this can come as a warning to bird-owners -- if their bird stops chirping and chattering, even if he appears normal in every other way, something is wrong. Unfortunately I'll never know what the problem was. As I said, his behaviour was totally normal, except that he became silent.

I am very sad. He was only four years old.

• Member ID:  4,805
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  860
  • Birthday:  22/09/1985

I'm very sorry to hear that, Glenn. :question: You couldn't have known since he had appeared healthy all this time. :bow:

• Member ID:  5,898
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,245
  • Birthday:  13/11/1966

That's really sad news GlennCooper :question: :bow: Freddie

Edited by libby66

• Member ID:  5,773
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  345

sorry to hear that Glenn. RIP Freddie. When I lost my budgie last time, I just wish they could live as long a life as cockatoos. Such beautiful yet fragile things they are.

Edited by flycow
  • 7 years later...

• Member ID:  8,434
  • Content Count:  4
  • Achievement Points:  30

hello

my budgie went quiet but seemed like he wanted to talk but just sqeeked it broke my heart as he is my baby and did talk a lot .i went to a good a avain vet today and he has resporatory disease he should be okay and has been given antibiotics so if you are not sure take him straight to a vet lets hope i get some sleep tonight without worrying also we had to many purches in the cage his tail needs to bob a little to let him breath so we took some away

• Member ID:  8,434
  • Content Count:  4
  • Achievement Points:  30

On 4/22/2010 at 0:01 PM, GlennCooper said:

No, his breathing is normal. No change at all, there.Yeah, I'm starting to think it might be just loneliness or boredom. But he was fine for three years. You'd think he would be used to his situation.

my budgie went quiet but seemed like he wanted to talk but just sqeeked it broke my heart as he is my baby and did talk a lot .i went to a good a avain vet today and he has resporatory disease he should be okay and has been given antibiotics so if you are not sure take him straight to a vet lets hope i get some sleep tonight without worrying also we had to many purches in the cage his tail needs to bob a little to let him breath so we took some away

• 2 years later...

• Member ID:  8,896
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Achievement Points:  5

My Pretty Boy is also very quiet of late and he scratches a lot.   He used to repeat everything I said but now just chirps.   When I come home, he is usually pleased to see me - he stretches out and chirps a bit.  I have had him for two and a half years, but do not know how old he was when I got him.   I have taken him to the vet and he seems to think there is nothing wrong with him.   I commiserate with you Glen.   Gloria