• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  20
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi.

My budgie is 11 months old. He talks his head off and use to fly away from me, but now he is attacking me. When I come close to the cage and even when I am cleaning his cage. Could someone please tell me why?

Thanks

Niece :)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

He is tamed? Like does he step up for you or do you just let him out of the cage and let him fly around? It sounds like he is not tamed and he is being very defensive if he is out right biting you and making squawking noises. If that the type of biting you are talking about? Fear biting? If so you will need to start working with him to tame him.

• Member ID:  6,026
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  20

He is tamed? Like does he step up for you or do you just let him out of the cage and let him fly around? It sounds like he is not tamed and he is being very defensive if he is out right biting you and making squawking noises. If that the type of biting you are talking about? Fear biting? If so you will need to start working with him to tame him.

He has never ever liked to come out of his cage. when we first got him we use to leave the door open but he never came out. He doesn't squawk when he is biting me. He actually tells me his a pretty boy when he is trying to attack. He has one bell that he tries to mate with. I am wondering if he thinks I am a threat to this bell. could this be possible?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Bells and mirrors are not a good idea in a cage :)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I sounds like he is on his own most of the time and you have not spent the time to hand tame. When you have a budgie they don't become tame by letting them out to fly around they become tame by spending a lot of time working with them by teaching them to step up on your finger, sitting on your shoulder and being by you. My grandmother had a budgie, talked to he all the time, ran up to the cage and even gave her kisses but was never hand tamed so if you put your hand in there he would bite. Budgie if they can't bond with their human will become obessed with balls, mirrors or objects that give them comfort. Merlin has balls in his cages loves to play with them but he is not obessed with them. I don't have a mirror at all. We have a taming article in the FAQ that you can read if you are interested in taming him more. This behavior will not change if you don't put the time into making it change through patience. Budgies are not cats or dogs they don't remain tame and they are not born tame they have to have consistent effort on the part of the owner. :). I hope that helps a bit.