• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  345
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone,

I need some tips on bonding with Giorgio. He's hand/shoulder/finger tamed, wouldn't hesistate to hop on and off (when he wants to) but he wasn't keen on me much. I speak to him daily and give kisses, whistles and hand feed his breakfast. He accepts food I gave him without much hesitation, veggies, apples, honeyed seeds.

When he left GB's home he likes a little neck scratch and I could pet him on the back, since yesterday he has started to dislike it, now I couldn't pat him anymore and he is flying away to explore a little more than staying put as long as before.

Am I doing something wrong that is untaming him? I have been turning on the radio softly next to the cage to keep him entertained when I'm at work. On average I spend several hours with him by my side or on my shoulder. I chat with him 3-4 times a day, or sometimes play at my laptop, 15 -30mins each time. He likes the laptop, not me though, I'm close to transparent. hehe.

How can I bond with him or get him to like me?

Edited by flycow

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Hello everyone,

I need some tips on bonding with Giorgio. He's hand/shoulder/finger tamed, wouldn't hesistate to hop on and off (when he wants to) but he wasn't keen on me much. I speak to him daily and give kisses, whistles and hand feed his breakfast. He accepts food I gave him without much hesitation, veggies, apples, honeyed seeds.

When he left GB's home he likes a little neck scratch and I could pet him on the back, since yesterday he has started to dislike it, now I couldn't pat him anymore and he is flying away to explore a little more than staying put as long as before.

Am I doing something wrong that is untaming him? I have been turning on the radio softly next to the cage to keep him entertained when I'm at work. On average I spend several hours with him by my side or on my shoulder. I chat with him 3-4 times a day, or sometimes play at my laptop, 15 -30mins each time. He likes the laptop, not me though, I'm close to transparent. hehe.

How can I bond with him or get him to like me?

I have always clipped my inside budgies wings. I found that to be most helpful to the bonding. Wing clipping is a personal choice, so up to you if you want to do it or not. I'm sure he likes you though :( We have lots of great tips in the FAQ's on taming/training. Maybe check them out, even though your guy is already tame.

I'd also recommend a PM or chat with GB. Since he came from her, she can probably give you some tips as to what she has done in the past, and see if that helps. Keeping any budgie, especially a young one, is a constant job. Over time, I believe the learn the behaviours and it becomes eaiser, but when young, time and effort is needed. (Like any animal/child) :hmm:

Good luck with him and please let us know how you're getting on.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

PLEASE do not clip his wings

i tamed him to fly to you

you just need more patiance and as i said when you left here

if he flys away from you go get him straight back even if you do it five times in a row DO IT

he will stop flying off as he will know he cant win

when you have him sit with him on your index finger faceing you

bellow yor neak faceing your chest

he will not have anywhere to look good to fly to

he will look up to you as you speak to him and you just give a little scratch as your hand is cupped around him

do this every chance you can for 2 to 3 mins

then place him on your sholder and start to walk around abit lanning your head to him speaking to him

if you clip his wings your trust will be broken

hes tame already

its time and pataince

i say stop the radio

only your voice

when you get home

he will look forward to you then

make sure hes the first thing you do go straight their and say hello mate love you missed you comming out to play a bit

put on your sholder and proceed to put on kettal what ever

just remember the persistence in retreving him when he flys

even if it is a hassel :hmm: you will b rewarded greatly for you patiance and effort

hes doing great by what you have told me

maesies idea about others training tips is good

but really he is as she said like a child

i also put him away when he flew off more than three times and told him he was not being very friendly so if he wasnt going to stay with me he was going back to his bed

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  5,773

I don't intend to ever clip wings, I personally liked a free spirited budgie to do as he likes (well to a certain degree) and my goal is make ME the best thing he likes. :(

The flying away tip is excellent, I've been letting him getting away too much to explore, will definitely work on that.

At the moment he trust my hands very much, he wants to check out everything I touched. And I always offered finger/palm, never caught him unwillingly. Question: If I were to start cupping him for a scratch, will it work backwards and he get scared of my hand?

I'll stop the radio and do the rest you suggested, great tips, thank you, and the FAQs as well, helps a lot.

One more question, he doesn't like the process me putting him into the cage and I thought not to associate his step-up on my finger with a negative experience of returning him back there, so I gently threw a cloth over him instead to bring him back, is that okay?

I have all the patience in the world for any budgie. :hmm:

PLEASE do not clip his wings

i tamed him to fly to you

you just need more patiance and as i said when you left here

if he flys away from you go get him straight back even if you do it five times in a row DO IT

he will stop flying off as he will know he cant win

when you have him sit with him on your index finger faceing you

bellow yor neak faceing your chest

he will not have anywhere to look good to fly to

he will look up to you as you speak to him and you just give a little scratch as your hand is cupped around him

do this every chance you can for 2 to 3 mins

then place him on your sholder and start to walk around abit lanning your head to him speaking to him

if you clip his wings your trust will be broken

hes tame already

its time and pataince

i say stop the radio

only your voice

when you get home

he will look forward to you then

make sure hes the first thing you do go straight their and say hello mate love you missed you comming out to play a bit

put on your sholder and proceed to put on kettal what ever

just remember the persistence in retreving him when he flys

even if it is a hassel :lol: you will b rewarded greatly for you patiance and effort

hes doing great by what you have told me

maesies idea about others training tips is good

but really he is as she said like a child

i also put him away when he flew off more than three times and told him he was not being very friendly so if he wasnt going to stay with me he was going back to his bed

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Didn't mean to offeend regarding wing clipping. Just mentioned that I personally do it. I know many who don't and they don't have a problem.

Some great adive from GB there. Especially as she raised him and tamed him herself.

Didn't mean to offeend regarding wing clipping. Just mentioned that I personally do it. I know many who don't and they don't have a problem.

Some great adive from GB there. Especially as she raised him and tamed him herself.

no ne taken mate i just breed and tame my birds so they come not needing wings clipped

as for putting towel or cloth over him i would not do this

as he will be afraid of you altogether in and as he will asoshiate you with the towel and the bad cage :P

i say leave his food in their and only put his treats in their

you say he likes breaky with you so move cage on to table top for a few weeks and when he eats his morning seed from you when hes finished and wants that toast put a small bit in cage door for him

and any other treats eg all his vegies fruit in cage leave door open all time

and when he does go in dont close door first few times let him come out with out him being locked up straight away

also if he likes to explore what he sees your hands touch sit with the cage yourself playing with the things inside it like hes missing out like its really fun

he will clime on to it and when he is looking in their place millit spray in their then walk off tell him hes good boy every time he hops in

when you walk back if he doesnt jump out quickly tell him good boy good night and close door but let him out after half hour to show him wont be in their always

only other thing i can suggest is get a bigger cage what size do you have now ?????

I have a HUGE cage on wheels, that is not easily movable onto the dining table :P

like this.

1b.jpg

Little budgie here is getting very mischievous, jumps wild in cage and tries to escape everytime I open a door. Smart, I've never had such a smart one before. He saw me open the side door once and also removed the bottom tray and figured straight away it's a possible escape route, caught him a few times checking the two doors out when I'm not looking :rofl: Funny to watch. I sat next to the cage with him on my fingers and he complaints (grumbles) quite a bit, not talking to me in affection, but like a protest sort of noise, the only time he makes so much noise. Also has began to bite me when he's not cool with something, like kissing him, also protest with screeches when I touch his body.

Any signs of dominance here? :rofl: Cute regardless. And I'm such a lousy trainer. :rofl:

Edited by flycow

Little budgie here is getting very mischievous, jumps wild in cage and tries to escape everytime I open a door. Smart, I've never had such a smart one before. He saw me open the side door once and also removed the bottom tray and figured straight away it's a possible escape route, caught him a few times checking the two doors out when I'm not looking :rofl: Funny to watch. I sat next to the cage with him on my fingers and he complaints (grumbles) quite a bit, not talking to me in affection, but like a protest sort of noise, the only time he makes so much noise. Also has began to bite me when he's not cool with something, like kissing him, also protest with screeches when I touch his body.

Any signs of dominance here? :huh: Cute regardless. And I'm such a lousy trainer. -_-

mmmmmm he is very smart i know that

mabe i chose wrong bird to tame i just thought he looked very quiet and he was very well behaved

lol seems he is trying to get it over you

if he bits tell him no and mabe put him in cage as punishment

for 5 minits everytime till he gets the hint

oh and with your cage im sorry but looks very boring and bare

mabe get some proper real tree branches for him a gum branch fruit tree bottle brush or grevillia and place it in their

Edited by GenericBlue

Oh he is so not quiet at all, he is taking over the house, possibly everyone as well :rofl: But I am very glad you trained him to fly back, he does that 90% of the time to my shoulder, whether it's flying away investigating, or something made him jumped for no reason, he mostly come back. No you didnt' chose the wrong bird, I think he is meant to be, he's absolutely fun to play with! -_-

Yeah I am embarrassed about the bare cage, I've already added a twin rope swing and another ball in there (not in photo)

It's not meant to be this boring, :huh: , just that I've ordered heaps of raw materials, beads, bells and ropes online to make him some cool toys and it's not delivered yet. I have also cut some branches but the past few days been raining this way so I couldn't wash and sun them properly.

He just have to bear with it a few more days. And I bought some millet sprays delivering tomorrow for training, hope it helps.

Edited by flycow

Oh he is so not quiet at all, he is taking over the house, possibly everyone as well :rofl: But I am very glad you trained him to fly back, he does that 90% of the time to my shoulder, whether it's flying away investigating, or something made him jumped for no reason, he mostly come back. No you didnt' chose the wrong bird, I think he is meant to be, he's absolutely fun to play with! -_-

Yeah I am embarrassed about the bare cage, I've already added a twin rope swing and another ball in there (not in photo)

It's not meant to be this boring, :huh: , just that I've ordered heaps of raw materials, beads, bells and ropes online to make him some cool toys and it's not delivered yet. I have also cut some branches but the past few days been raining this way so I couldn't wash and sun them properly.

He just have to bear with it a few more days. And I bought some millet sprays delivering tomorrow for training, hope it helps.

all sounds great

the first thing i do with my chicks is train them to fly to you after them learning they have freedom to love you as they will they do feel more like their own self

and as you said become cheeky

i love that in a bird also they are not afraid to try out new things

90 percent fly back is great

your home is quiet open so very exiting to a little one

you need to try keep all his toys and treats where you want him to be when not with you

hows his getting to bed going

have you tryed putting him in their reacuringly leaving door open so he still feels free every time he comes out just put him straight back but leave door open that may make him want to be in their

i doubt it but id try

its all about persistance

When I am training him to be returned to the cage, I put him in and leave the door open, he will fly out a few minutes later. By default he keeps thinking the door is close the moment he's in it so he figure it out only after several minutes. Then I let him be with me for a bit before returning him to the cage again. That goes on for several times although the moment I walk close to the cage he either fly away or grumbles.

His nighttime sleep has improved. The cage is 90% covered at first with full lights on and me sitting next to him for company, until he settled for bed, then I left him. Next it slowly progressed to just him alone, 90% covered and the lights still on, next to eventually fully covered with lights dimmed. Right now he hardly flap more than a minute or two after lights out and sleeps like a baby until I remove the covers in the morning. So I consider the bedtime challenge solved. :rofl: I did stick to a daily routine like you suggested. :huh:

When I am training him to be returned to the cage, I put him in and leave the door open, he will fly out a few minutes later. By default he keeps thinking the door is close the moment he's in it so he figure it out only after several minutes. Then I let him be with me for a bit before returning him to the cage again. That goes on for several times although the moment I walk close to the cage he either fly away or grumbles.

His nighttime sleep has improved. The cage is 90% covered at first with full lights on and me sitting next to him for company, until he settled for bed, then I left him. Next it slowly progressed to just him alone, 90% covered and the lights still on, next to eventually fully covered with lights dimmed. Right now he hardly flap more than a minute or two after lights out and sleeps like a baby until I remove the covers in the morning. So I consider the bedtime challenge solved. :fingerscrossed: I did stick to a daily routine like you suggested. :cake:

thats the way to do it really their just like kids :hb:

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

sounds to me like all is well.

Yes, he's going well and begining to like me, I have a fix schedule with him as well. In the morning he will exercise his wings by flying around a few rounds but alway return to me. Then we have breakfast together and a little chat before I leave for work. He's begining to settle into his own playtime in the cage in the afternoons when I'm not with him. I make dinner at night and put on the TV for him a bit then he play on my desk and his playpen, later naps on my shoulder before I return him to the cage for the night. It's going on pretty well I'd say, we can have a "conversation" in chirpy language, and he have loads to say. :D

Get a boy if you want a chatty buddy.

Edited by flycow

im so glad things are going well

he was so cute i myself fell in love with him

i must say he was more lovable than the smaller birds i tame wanted company more not as indipendant

i guess thats as show birds take longer to mature so are usually reliant on mum n dad longer

where pets are out and on their own

Yes, he's going well and begining to like me, I have a fix schedule with him as well. In the morning he will exercise his wings by flying around a few rounds but alway return to me. Then we have breakfast together and a little chat before I leave for work. He's begining to settle into his own playtime in the cage in the afternoons when I'm not with him. I make dinner at night and put on the TV for him a bit then he play on my desk and his playpen, later naps on my shoulder before I return him to the cage for the night. It's going on pretty well I'd say, we can have a "conversation" in chirpy language, and he have loads to say. :rolleyes:

Get a boy if you want a chatty buddy.

i must say he was more lovable than the smaller birds i tame wanted company more not as indipendant

i guess thats as show birds take longer to mature so are usually reliant on mum n dad longer

Is that true? I've always thought it's just the size difference. I hope he grow bigger, he's 46 grams now. :rolleyes:

does that mean mentality wise he will be kiddo for longer?

Edited by flycow

yes seems to be true

my show stock stay with peronts longer and play like children longer also

why i have toys in flight

i think he will get bit bigger hes from good stock do you have a picture resent one i could give you idea what size to expect him to get to

Is that true? I've always thought it's just the size difference. I hope he grow bigger, he's 46 grams now. :blush:

does that mean mentality wise he will be kiddo for longer?

SDC11181.jpgSDC11184.jpg

I took two video clips of him playing, not sure if I can post these.

as you can see he has became quite a monkey. :blush:

Edited by flycow

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Hello everyone,

I see you received a lot of responsed, I a not going to read through them all since I like to give my opinion based on my experience of my own budgie personally so if this is repeated I am sorry.

When he left GB's home he likes a little neck scratch and I could pet him on the back, since yesterday he has started to dislike it, now I couldn't pat him anymore and he is flying away to explore a little more than staying put as long as before. This is VERY normal. Baby do like to be scratched as they get older and more independent you will see that they will tend not to like things they used too. I could scratch Merlin all the time when he was a baby but around 6 months he decided he didn't want me to do it anymore. I would go by what your bird is asking the more you push something they don't like you tend to start pushing the bond apart. I would continue with what you are doing it sounds like you already have a wonderful bond and and as he grows older and more independent you will find new things to do with him. You may want to get his wings clipped this is ONLY a suggestion but I clipped both my birds during the taming process it made a huge difference and I have never had to clip them again. It helps you work with them through the I want to fly away stage and creates less stress of chasing and less chance of injury.

How can I bond with him or get him to like me? Sounds like he already is you just want it faster. He will continue to bond with you as he gets older. :rofl:

very very cute looks like hes loads of fun you should get one thoughs cat balls with bell in it or just a plastic ball with out bell that you can fut stuff in for him to get out

i think you could tame him to play push the ball to you to and frow hes very smart and wants to interact and play thats so special

good job your doing keep it up

:rofl:

SDC11181.jpgSDC11184.jpg

I took two video clips of him playing, not sure if I can post these.

as you can see he has became quite a monkey. :rofl:

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

That is so cute!

Hello everyone,I see you received a lot of responsed, I a not going to read through them all since I like to give my opinion based on my experience of my own budgie personally so if this is repeated I am sorry. When he left GB's home he likes a little neck scratch and I could pet him on the back, since yesterday he has started to dislike it, now I couldn't pat him anymore and he is flying away to explore a little more than staying put as long as before. This is VERY normal. Baby do like to be scratched as they get older and more independent you will see that they will tend not to like things they used too. I could scratch Merlin all the time when he was a baby but around 6 months he decided he didn't want me to do it anymore. I would go by what your bird is asking the more you push something they don't like you tend to start pushing the bond apart. I would continue with what you are doing it sounds like you already have a wonderful bond and and as he grows older and more independent you will find new things to do with him. You may want to get his wings clipped this is ONLY a suggestion but I clipped both my birds during the taming process it made a huge difference and I have never had to clip them again. It helps you work with them through the I want to fly away stage and creates less stress of chasing and less chance of injury. How can I bond with him or get him to like me? Sounds like he already is you just want it faster. He will continue to bond with you as he gets older. :D
Thanks elly,you are right, maybe I want the bond develope faster without realising it. I shall remind myself to keep cool at all times :budgiedance: I won't be clipping, he can go wild as he likes. Funny that sometimes I actually ask him what he wants and offer a few options. If he's cool he'll explore it, otherwise he'll go all negative in body language and "gek gek gek".
very very cute looks like hes loads of fun you should get one thoughs cat balls with bell in it or just a plastic ball with out bell that you can fut stuff in for him to get out i think you could tame him to play push the ball to you to and frow hes very smart and wants to interact and play thats so specialgood job your doing keep it up :rofl:
I wouldn't have reach this step without your help.:nest: I have a few of those wiffle balls with holes in them and played with him, just pushing the balls around, it's lightweight enough he can carry it for a few steps. Stuffing the ball's a good idea, I'll put some shredded paper in there see how it goes.From the picture, how much more do you think he'll grow? begining to moult, I found some feathers and two new ones on the tail. And also what do you think of clicker training for a bird? will it cause a bird to lose his personality?
That is so cute!
yes cheeky, I hope he stays like that forever :rofl: a bit wishful thinking. Edited by flycow